Non-motoring > Food Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BiggerBadderDave Replies: 52

Food - BiggerBadderDave
Need to present 6 cookbook ideas by the end of the day and would appreciate a bit of input.

What single, solitary, food item best represents the following:

1 - Healthy Heart
2 - Sharp mind/brain
3 - Joints
4 - Building muscle
5 - Calorie control/low cal
6 - Reducing water retention and gas

Ta!
 Food - Robin O'Reliant
A full English ticks all those boxes, Dave.

Also sets you up nicely for the first cigarette of the day.
Last edited by: Robin Regal on Fri 3 Sep 10 at 11:45
 Food - FotheringtonTomas
Lard.
 Food - Dog
Egg.
 Food - Dulwich Estate
Er,....FISH !
 Food - Clk Sec
Steak and kidney pie.
 Food - BiggerBadderDave
No, no, no, I need one for each category

And don't say

1 - Lard
2 - Lard
3 - Lard
4 - Lard
5 - Lard
6 - Lard

because I'm not doing the "How to look like my mother-in-law" book till next week.
 Food - rtj70
I think everyone thought you wanted one that covers all.

1. Healthy Heart - Blueberries
2. Sharp mind/brain - Fish
3. Joints - Cold water fatty fish (salmon, sardines and herring) or yellow-orange fruit/veg (carrots?)
4 - Building muscle - Meat (because of protein)

Back to work before I think of 5 and 6.
 Food - BiggerBadderDave
Blueberries, really?
 Food - Zero
Yes really, Blueberries are vey good for you and a natural antioxidant. The same for cranberries.
 Food - tyro
Oddly enough, most of the blueberries in Tesco at the moment seem to come from Poland . . . .
Last edited by: tyro on Fri 3 Sep 10 at 12:48
 Food - BiggerBadderDave
"blueberries in Tesco at the moment seem to come from Poland . . . ."

Very popular here, I've got a carton beside me.
 Food - Clk Sec
>>Very popular here, I've got a carton beside me.

I eat some most days, but they do need to be fresh. I tend to be wary of the cheap offers; two cartons for the price of one, etc.
Last edited by: Clk Sec on Fri 3 Sep 10 at 13:11
 Food - BiggerBadderDave
We pick them up from roadside sellers, so usually farmer's wives making a few extra quid. Fresh, cheap and yummy.
 Food - Skoda
>> We pick them up from roadside sellers, so usually farmer's wives making a few extra quid. Fresh, cheap and yummy.

Wish we had this in the UK on the same scale. The tomatoes were amazing, not a tomato fan unless they're cooked, but could gorge on fresh just-picked toms.

Peas too. The melons were ace... hungry now :-(
 Food - sherlock47
>> We pick them up from roadside sellers, so usually farmer's wives making a few extra
>> quid. Fresh, cheap and yummy.

Thats not all you would pickup from roadside sellers in Poland!

;)
 Food - Zero
>> 1 - Healthy Heart
Fish
>> 2 - Sharp mind/brain
Fish
>> 3 - Joints
Fish
>> 4 - Building muscle
Meat and Pasta
>> 5 - Calorie control/low cal
Fish
>> 6 - Reducing water retention and gas
Fish
 Food - rtj70
I nearly put fish for all of them. The reason carrots are good for joints and the berries for the heart is down to colour.

Blueberries (and other berries) may be good to ward of cancer too.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 3 Sep 10 at 12:52
 Food - Clk Sec
>>I nearly put fish for all of them.

And you wouldn't be far wrong.
 Food - Dog
1 - Healthy Heart ~ Olive Oil

2 - Sharp mind/brain ~ Fish

3 - Joints ~ Oily Fish

4 - Building muscle ~ Beef/Chicken

5 - Calorie control/low cal ~ Turkey

6 - Reducing water retention and gas ~ Fennel
 Food - Ted

Fried spam in a white bread sandwich with fully leaded butter and a dash of HP sauce.

A couple of weeks of that and you won't be too worried about food again.

Also, anything left on somebody else's plate is not deemed to be harmful or fattening.

Ted
 Food - Mapmaker
1. Heart
2. Brain
3. Hash
4. Steroids
5. Mineral water
6. A sharp needle
 Food - Zero
1/ Fish and chips
2/ Pie n Chips
3/ Deep fried mars bar
4/ Double cream rice pudding with custard.
5/ Two mcdonalds double cheese burgers, twice daily.
 Food - Robin O'Reliant
>> 1/ Fish and chips
>> 2/ Pie n Chips
>> 3/ Deep fried mars bar
>> 4/ Double cream rice pudding with custard.
>> 5/ Two mcdonalds double cheese burgers, twice daily.
>>
Now you're talking, but I'll have chicken and chips.

I HATE fish.
Last edited by: Robin Regal on Fri 3 Sep 10 at 16:50
 Food - Bagpuss
Just back from Russia and they take their healthy food very seriously. So:

1. Garlic, fresh or pickled
2. Dried fish
3. Freshly picked mushrooms
4. Huge piece of meat, probably pork
5. Life's too short
6. Vodka

Actually you could answer vodka for all six. Plus it's good against colds and great for getting red wine stains out of the carpet.
 Food - BiggerBadderDave
When I was in Moscow in the mid 90s I went browsing a huge market and almost every stall offered me vodka and bread. A weird and wonderful place and somewhere I'd love to see again.
 Food - Bagpuss
I went down with a bad stomach upset on my most recent trip to Russia. I took the 7am flight from Siberia to Moscow but could not eat the breakfast. The stewardess asked me what was wrong as not eating is verging on impoliteness in Russia even when you're a paying customer. I told her I had a stomach upset and without flinching she offered me a large glass of vodka. I didn't drink it by the way.

If you haven't been to Moscow for that long you won't recognise the place. It's all skyscrapers and blinged up S-Classes these days.
 Food - Tooslow
Chips.

Chips are a health food. Without sufficient vitamin D you get rickets. While standing around in the sun should provide sufficient vitamin D (and no one knows how that works) you'll get cancer, so...

Eat chips. Cook them in sunflower oil and there you are, health food.

You didn't expect a sensible answer from this lot did you?

:-)

John
 Food - Manatee
I think the single most complete food is bananas.

An acquaintance of mine was put on a banana diet a few years ago by an "alternative therapist" who claimed he once won the world amateur weightlifting championships, part of his preparation for which was to eat exclusively bananas for 6 months.

Ever since then, I've gone and got a bunch of bananas when I've felt out of sorts. It usually works, and has the added benefit of curing constipation.
 Food - corax
Oats are extremely good. If it's a choice between porridge or weetabix in the morning, I always know what I've eaten two hours later because I'm still full of energy. Oats are a fantastic slow burn energy source. I used to only eat porridge in winter but it's all year now.

Blueberries - I just go and pick some from the garden, I've got two types of blueberry bushes growing in pots. Once they're blue, you leave them for a couple more days, and the flavour intensifies. I also have raspberries and redcurrents on the allotment, these are also full of antioxidants. In fact I think Bruce Forsyth has porridge with blueberries for his breakfast, and at 82 he's seems well on it.
 Food - Mapmaker
*I* think the idea of a single food is bananas.
 Food - Tooslow
Oook

John
 Food - Perky Penguin
I was well peeved when my GP told me that a can of cider didn't count as a piece of fruit! I have been on 5 a day all Summer thinking I was being mega healthy. I do eat a lot of oily fish, to get back on thread; no bad fats and lots of good oils, sounds good!
 Food - Harleyman

>> Ever since then, I've gone and got a bunch of bananas when I've felt out
>> of sorts. It usually works, and has the added benefit of curing constipation.
>>

Wifey tried that recently. The upshot is that it's OK but only in the summer.

Far too cold in winter to have all the windows open. ;-)
 Food - Tooslow
Hang on - why?

Have you joined the WI? You were warned about dressing up!

John
 Food - Mike Hannon
I dunno
My dinner tonight was a lamb steak with a baked spud (with full strength butter) and Heinz baked beans (a rare treat here) washed down with a bottle (just for me, SWMBO had some more of the same) of chilled Aude rose.
I've reached 60 with no complaints and I can still outrun the foster dog. I must be doing something right, even if it isn't eating...
 Food - MD
outrunning him in the jag?
 Food - Mike Hannon
It costs less to feed ;-))
 Food - Zero
the hound is more faithful and reliable tho.
 Food - Kevin
>Need to present 6 cookbook ideas by the end of the day..

Do we get a cut of the fee?

Don't know what sort of cookbook you're writing for but you might like to make a note of this:

When the BSE scare was in full flow I decided to stop eating meat, just fish and veggies.

Mrs K was delighted because she's been a non meat-eater since her teens and it would make shopping and cooking much simpler. She also decided we should have a 'healthy' low-fat diet.

The effects of a sudden move from bacon and eggs, steak and chips to grilled fish, steamed veg. and fruit salad was alarming. The expression "as randy as a butcher's dog" couldn't even begin to describe it.

I'm sure that my body was screaming "You're gonna die! You need to procreate now!"

Kevin...
 Food - BiggerBadderDave
"Do we get a cut of the fee?"

It's not worth much to me unless it finds a buyer at the Frankfurt Book Fair, in which case I'll do well out of it.

So Kevin, I've been avoiding you since buying a Lexus. How's the new Jag? What year did you get? How does it compare to your old XJ?
 Food - Kevin
>So Kevin, I've been avoiding you since buying a Lexus.

Cowboy boots and a Lexus. What's that movie I'm thinking of?

I really liked the old LS400/430, a friend had one. The new one is just a tad, errm ugly.

>How's the new Jag? What year did you get? How does it compare to your old XJ?

It's an '05 Sovereign, a bit older than I really wanted but I just couldn't resist it. Pacific blue with Super V interior and Classic walnut. 16-way ruched ivory leather seats piped in charcoal. Uppers, carpets and belts in charcoal. Upgraded audio, satnav, bluetooth, Jagvoice, xenons, etc. I think the only things left off the options list were the rear entertainment screens and full-size spare.

It's a totally different animal to drive. Bigger but much lighter so it handles better. The downside is that the ride isn't as smooth as the old X308, still very comfortable but not magic carpet like the old one. The 255/40x19 tyres don't help either. Fuel consumption is very good for a big car though, it's averaging 26/27mpg on my daily commute against the 22/23mpg I used to get.

Overall, I'm very pleased with it but I suspect an old X308 Super V was a better car if you didn't mind the fuel bills.

Kevin...
 Food - BiggerBadderDave
Sounds like a gem Kevin. I'm already having pangs of regret but the wife wouldn't go older than 6 years and I wouldn't go over £6k and that meant Lexus. But she'd seen the LS400 on Wheeler Dealers and made up her mind from that. Anyway I'm going to LPG it so I'm committed to it for a few years now but I don't think I'll grow to love it. We'll see.

I promised her when we bought it that I'd stop looking at the Daimlers on Autotrader, but of course I haven't. £9k for late 90s models is plain silly. The same cars a year ago were hovering around the £6k mark. Que pasa?
 Food - Kevin
>I'm already having pangs of regret..

I wouldn't. We did a tour of Scotland in a friend's LS and I really liked it. I thought the suspension was a little soft at first but soon got used to it. Very comfy, very quiet and very well built.

>I promised her when we bought it that I'd stop looking at the Daimlers on Autotrader, but
>of course I haven't. £9k for late 90s models is plain silly. The same cars a year ago were
>hovering around the £6k mark. Que pasa?

I've seen the same and I'm baffled too. My local dealer has an early X350 Super V SWB for sale. A 2003 and he wants £19,990.

Kevin...
 Food - BiggerBadderDave
They're are selling too. That 98 Super V vanished before my eyes when I refreshed the page this morning. They'll be rarer than dinosaur droppings before long.

Do you know if Daimler are going to be involved with the new XJ?
 Food - Kevin
At the launch that I went to they only talked about four models. Luxury, Premium Luxury, Portfolio and Supersport. I think the Supersport was the only one available with the supercharged engine.

They didn't mention Daimler at all.

Kevin...
 Food - AnotherJohnH
>> They'll be rarer than dinosaur droppings before long.

No shortage of coprolites.

Rocking horse poo is a bit thin on the ground though.
 Food - Kevin
>No shortage of coprolites.

You can call Crimestoppers if you know who they are ;-)

Kevin...
 Food - Pat
I had to google coprolites yesterday but now I know what it is:)

Pat
 Food - Zero
Well we had an Eid meal this evening.

Yesterday was Eid.

Nicole is a childrens community nurse, and one of the familes on her case load gave her a load of home made food to celebrate the end of Ramadan.

So this evening we tucked in to

Lamb Koftas, eyewateringly spicy.
Tandori chicken legs and breasts - delicately spiced.
Nasi goreng - sweet spicy and nutty
A Red Lamb curry
nan breads

Followed by a rice pudding thing that looked rather like sperm in milk.

A real mix of near and far eastern cuisine.
 Food - bathtub tom
I refer to Eid as Ramadan-a-ding-dong. ;>)
 Food - Bellboy
i had similar last night with the wife
weve both been blasting the toilet since 5.00am this morning
might need aaaaaaaaaaaaaa1111 to do a deep rodding sometimes tomorrow :-(
 Food - Mike Hannon
>>What single, solitary, food item best represents the following:

1 - Healthy Heart
2 - Sharp mind/brain
3 - Joints
4 - Building muscle
5 - Calorie control/low cal
6 - Reducing water retention and gas