Non-motoring > Dialect quiz Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 22

Dialect quiz - Crankcase
Following on from another slightly tasteless thread, here is the New York Times dialect quiz aimed at the British. Supposed to tell you where you were brought up.

I've seen some results where people are apparently astonished at how accurate it is; for me, it just gave me a map covering a large belt of Southern England and a bit of Wales, so if anyone else wants to try and post the results, I'd be interested to know if it ever gets any more specific.

25 quick questions.

www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/02/15/upshot/british-irish-dialect-quiz.html
Last edited by: Crankcase on Thu 28 Feb 19 at 17:32
 Dialect quiz - No FM2R
Well I'm damned.

It gave me the name of two towns in the same area of the UK. One of them was correct.
 Dialect quiz - Zero
For me it coloured in an area south of a line from Bristol to the Wash, I said I come from Portsmouth, Dover or Luton.
 Dialect quiz - Mike H
>> For me it coloured in an area south of a line from Bristol to the
>> Wash, I said I come from Portsmouth, Dover or Luton.
>>
Interesting - I come from Portsmouth, and it put me between Dover and Luton......but it pinpointed our daughter-in-law in Bath, which was absolutely correct.
 Dialect quiz - Bromptonaut
A belt across north of England from Blackpool/S Lakes to Whitby/Flamborough Head. Leeds was pretty much in middle and in area of highest probability so not that far off.
 Dialect quiz - Runfer D'Hills
Got me, bang on.
 Dialect quiz - sooty123
I got a big band from Lancashire to Hull, although it did say Leeds as well which isn't too far out.
 Dialect quiz - smokie
Interesting but, for me, not so close. Had me mostly a bit north of Luton, with quite a bit of south east Kent where I lived (in my 30s) for about 18 months, and also a line along Oxfordshire/Gloucester which I've hardly even visited!
 Dialect quiz - R.P.
Got me pretty close to my roots as well
 Dialect quiz - sooty123
The missus did narrowed it down to two counties, one of which was right. City it picked was within 40 miles of her place of birth.
 Dialect quiz - Duncan
Quite a large area between London and Brighton. So, not wrong, but not very refined.
 Dialect quiz - bathtub tom
That's three of us it puts around Luton - I can't deny it!
 Dialect quiz - sherlock47
The first section showed a number of scattered areas, but the longer version got it better.

Generally the eastern part of England from Reading and south of the Bristol/ Wash line. Surprisingly darker areas of Dover/Kent and Reading to South coast corridor. Several people here also seem to have the similar unexpected Dover influence. But definitely Home Counties North, not South.
 Dialect quiz - Kevin
Pretty accurate considering I might have confused it a bit. I grew up in a village on the edge of the Peak District where a rural Sheffield dialect was the norm but went to school in Penistone where it was more of a mix of dialects from rural areas between Barnsley and Huddersfield.

As Bromp said in the other thread, dialects can be very localised. Accents can also be very localised. The difference between a Sheffield accent and a Barnsley accent is amazing considering they are less than 20 miles apart.
 Dialect quiz - Rudedog
Well they made me think..

Has me down for some where called Saint Peter Port which seems to be off the coast of France!
 Dialect quiz - Zero
>> Well they made me think..
>>
>> Has me down for some where called Saint Peter Port which seems to be off
>> the coast of France!

Guernsey.
 Dialect quiz - Manatee
Not wrong. The area shown after the larger set of questions showed much of west, south and north Yorkshire excluding the Hull area and the Vale of York by the look of it.
 Dialect quiz - hawkeye
I was intrigued so I've done the full 96 questions. Apparently I'm from a rectangular splodge roughly cornered by Preston, Helmsley, Scunthorpe and Sheffield.

I think of myself as from North Yorkshire as I was born near Ripon but I've lived in Leeds and 2 of its northern suburbs before moving to near (the northern) Richmond. I've worked in Leeds, Wakefield, Mansfield and Spennymoor so I've no idea where the Lancashire influence came from.
 Dialect quiz - BiggerBadderDave
Manchester with a bit of Stoke-on-Trent. Which is right really since I left home for Stoke Poly.
 Dialect quiz - Crankcase
I can only assume your answers alter the number of questions. I've done it twice now, to make sure, and it only asks me 25 questions and then gives me the map, with, as mentioned above, a huge area defined.
 Dialect quiz - Zero
For me, it all goes TU with the scone (own or on) question. Answer the "own" and it defaults to Southern Ireland, which is clearly a lowd or owld cowblers
 Dialect quiz - Bromptonaut
>> For me, it all goes TU with the scone (own or on) question. Answer the
>> "own" and it defaults to Southern Ireland, which is clearly a lowd or owld cowblers

Scon or Scowne and Al mond or Ormond when talking of nuts were (IIRC) things that my Yorkshire (Leeds)Mother and Lancashire (Rochdale) Father differed over.

Yorkshire and Lancashire are/were both large counties. No certainty that pronunciation is SE Lancs would be same as in Lakes fringes or that Sheffield and Redcar would have same pronunciation.
 Dialect quiz - CGNorwich
Al mond or Ormond?

They’re armunds!
Latest Forum Posts