Non-motoring > Fill yer boots Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Kevin Replies: 10

Fill yer boots - Kevin
www.britishkebabawards.co.uk/winners_2018_british_kebab_awards

2019 awards coming up soon.
Last edited by: Kevin on Wed 20 Feb 19 at 22:27
 Fill yer boots - CGNorwich
Never had one in my life. Never had a MacDonalds Hamburger either come to that. Look kind of greasy and unpleasant to me.
 Fill yer boots - No FM2R
A McDonalds is not something I eat that often, but nonetheless I really enjoy it when I do.

Kebabs I love. And miss. A lot.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 20 Feb 19 at 22:48
 Fill yer boots - CGNorwich
Perhaps I have missed out. I'll make it a resolution to try them both when I'm feeling brave.
 Fill yer boots - Zero
>> Perhaps I have missed out. I'll make it a resolution to try them both when
>> I'm feeling brave.

The Mcdonalds experience will require more cultural bravery than gastronomic I think. For a maccy d virgin it will be a bewildering experience.
 Fill yer boots - sooty123
>> Never had one in my life. Never had a MacDonalds Hamburger either come to that.
>> Look kind of greasy and unpleasant to me.
>>

If you mean the elephant's leg kebab, I wouldn't bother. If you mean you've never had a kebab from a proper turkish place then I'd highly recommend it. Turkish food is very nice.

Got a taste for that type of food when I worked out there a couple of years ago, well away from the tourist areas.

One of my favourite style of restaurants now.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Thu 21 Feb 19 at 05:19
 Fill yer boots - Zero
Went to the mad turk in Stamford about 6 years back, damn good Meze
I enjoy the turkish kebabs in the restaurants, very rarely had a bad one. Infact a new turkish restaurant opened near us a few weeks ago and very good it was too.
 Fill yer boots - Haywain
I can recall only 2 kebab (elephant's leg) experiences - both took place between midnight and 1am with the band when we were heading home after a gig. The first was at a mobile bar in Mildenhall when the 'chef' asked a customer if he wanted his kebab wrapping - to which the customer took 2 steps back and rapped out -
"Yo da nicest kebab ah ever 'ave seen,
will ya come wid me an' be ma queen?" etc

The second was when a new food-bar opened in Bury. We ordered our kebabs and the owner threw in a can of fizzy drink each (business - sprat to catch a mackerel etc). We wolfed down the kekabs, and they tasted great. Next morning, when I was emptying the gear from the car, I came across the polystyrene kebab box with half an inch of set-solid grease in the bottom. That was the last one I had.
 Fill yer boots - Zero
The elephants leg kebab needs to be eaten outside in the street after a night on the lash. I cant think of any other time it would be tolerated.

Tho when I was working in London in the 70s, elephants leg kebab shops were just appearing, specially just north of Oxford street, round Berners and Newman street, worth a lunchtime nibble

However they were soon eclipsed by real middle eastern kababs cooked over charcoal, that appeared from shop windows in streets just off the lower part of the Edgware Road.
>> The elephants leg kebab needs to be eaten outside in the street after a night
>> on the lash. I cant think of any other time it would be tolerated.
>>

Tried it once, foul. Even a few beverages wouldn't compensate.
Latest Forum Posts