Non-motoring > Replacement light advice Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 9

Replacement light advice - Bobby
I am looking to replace my existing kitchen lights with a new LED light and wondering if anyone has any knowledge on this?

My kitchen is about 5m x 3m and currently has two light fittings in it - both of these are identical. /they are of the type that is a round fitting with 3 GU10 spots in them (currently LED GU10s). However the light isnt great and can be quite shadowy.

I visited B&Q tonight and see these which certainly look very bright lit in the shop and are modern enough for my missus to accept them

www.diy.com/departments/hestia-brushed-chrome-ceiling-light/3663602770695_BQ.prd

strangely, the web page doesn't show all the detail - the box states that it is 1800lm and 4000K.

So how do I work out if replacing both my existing fittings with two of these will make the room brighter?
 Replacement light advice - Bromptonaut
How many lumens is existing fitting? BAck of envelope suggests 50w equivalent GU10 = 350 lumen.

Thos units say the bulb is integral. What happens when it fails and there's no matching replacement?

We've had previous fitting of 4* 50watt equivalent spots replaced by 8 GU10 downlighters* recessed into ceiling - professional installation as part of full kitchen refit.

*Suspect designer meant there to be 6 but sparky added 2 meant for utility to kitchen fit.
 Replacement light advice - Bobby
When light fails, it will need replaced. Comes with a 5 year guarantee which assumes 8 hours per day use.
 Replacement light advice - Bromptonaut
>> When light fails, it will need replaced. Comes with a 5 year guarantee which assumes
>> 8 hours per day use.

Even if the supplying company and B&Q are still trading in 3.5 years time there's plenty of wriggle room in 8 hours use...
 Replacement light advice - tyrednemotional
...I'm with Bromp regarding the purchase of a unit with "integral" bulbs. (or at least, I am where any purchase is of a matching set - you can almost guarantee a failure in one before the other(s). I'd certainly seek something with replaceable bulbs.

4000K is at the cool end of the lighting spectrum: some people like this, particularly in the kitchen; I don't (except perhaps for a small "reading" spot).

I've just replaced CFL bulbs in the bathroom recessed ceiling units (funnily enough because, since LEDs have taken off, GU10 CFLs are as rare as rocking-horse droppings, so, to get matching light after one bulb failed, I've had to replace all 6 with (special fitting) LED replacements.

The room is slightly smaller than your kitchen, but 6x5W GU10 90 degree beam LEDs (warm white) Is as bright as anyone could wan it. That's a total of 6x400 lumen, but they are evenly spaced, and as above have a fairly wide beam.

The unit(s) you detail have a diffuser, and bulb(s) of unknown angle so whilst they look like they should throw enough light, the spread is unknown.

As far as my kitchen goes, I've had recessed downlighters installed, nominally over-provisioned with lumen via dimmable LEDs, and fitted a dimmer. That way I can be sure of the result, and can dial down when it isn't appropriate to leave full lighting on. (There are LED strip lights over the worktop all round to ensure no dark areas.
 Replacement light advice - smokie
From the post above this bit mustn't be overlooked

"90 degree beam"

as some LED bulbs are a really narrow field, more for use spotlighting rather than lighting up a room.

Though I'm not sure the ones I got were 90, that is much higher than I remember.
 Replacement light advice Beam Angle - sherlock47
This makes it easy to understand...
www.downlightsdirect.co.uk/advice/downlights/which-beam-angle-to-choose/

I would not be surprised if there is an online modelling tool somewhere.
 Replacement light advice Beam Angle - MD
On occasions I've seen GU10 LED's in Lidl's. I'm sure they must be widely available.
 Replacement light advice Beam Angle - tyrednemotional
...GU10 LEDs are; Gu10 CFLs are now virtually unobtainable (and whilst they use the same pins as the standard LED ones, they are not interchangeable as the CFL body and fitting is longer/deeper - CFL replacements must be non-standard, long-neck LEDs - at a higher price, of course!)
 Replacement light advice Beam Angle - Bromptonaut
>> ...GU10 LEDs are; Gu10 CFLs are now virtually unobtainable (and whilst they use the same
>> pins as the standard LED ones, they are not interchangeable as the CFL body and
>> fitting is longer/deeper -

ISTR that, conversely, some LED GU10 bulbs were not interchangeable with halogen fittings.

Used to find myself up a ladder swopping out failed Halogen LEDs in kitchen every time I visited my Mother but couldn't replace them with LEDs for reason above.
Latest Forum Posts