Non-motoring > Swallowed some shot? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 37

Swallowed some shot? - bathtub tom
Noticed a small pellet in the lavatory bowl that wouldn't flush. It's only a couple of millimetres across and when I plucked it out it wasn't magnetic.
Had a game casserole a few days ago, so presume SWMBO or I passed it.

The question is, could we still have some in our gut and if so is it dangerous?

Only ever bitten on it before, so always safely spat it out.
 Swallowed some shot? - No FM2R
More worthy of a read than the title suggests.

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/9595895/Limit-amount-of-game-meat-eaten-due-to-lead-shot-residue-it-has-been-warned.html
 Swallowed some shot? - Bromptonaut
>> More worthy of a read than the title suggests.

Suggests there might be a problem if you routinely eat game twice a week. I doubt I normally eat it twice a year though a combination of cheap stuff at Aldi and a night out at the village pub/restaurant means I've eaten venison three times in last 28 days. Are wild deer killed with shot? I thought stalkers used rifles.
 Swallowed some shot? - Kevin
Minimum calibre allowed by law for small deer is .22 rifle.
 Swallowed some shot? - MD
>> Minimum calibre allowed by law for small deer is .22 rifle.
>>
You should not be posting on the subject Kevin.

Minimum calibre for Deer in the UK is .243 and then subject to bullet weights etc.
 Swallowed some shot? - sooty123
You should not be posting on the subject Kevin.
>>
>> Minimum calibre for Deer in the UK is .243 and then subject to bullet weights
>> etc.

Depends on the type of deer, for example you can shoot muntjac with a 22, subject to corrct spec and ammo etc. .
Last edited by: sooty123 on Sun 10 Feb 19 at 10:29
>> Depends on the type of deer, for example you can shoot muntjac with a 22,
>> subject to corrct spec and ammo etc. .

But it must be a CENTERFIRE and not a rimfire. Minimum .220 min 50 grain bullet and min1000ft lbs of energy.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 10 Feb 19 at 19:42
Indeed, that's why I said subject to the correct spec and ammo.
>Minimum .220 min 50 grain bullet and min1000ft lbs of energy.

Oh! So my earlier statement about the MINIMUM CALIBRE for small deer is actually correct and you now admit you were wrong?
>> >Minimum .220 min 50 grain bullet and min1000ft lbs of energy.
>>
>> Oh! So my earlier statement about the MINIMUM CALIBRE for small deer is actually correct
>> and you now admit you were wrong?
>>

>>>>>>"I'm not saying that Excel isn't a useful tool. I'm just questioning whether senior management should be spending their time messing with Excel when an IT bod could do it better, quicker, cheaper and more securely. Even more questionable is that if everyone is doing their own thing with spreadsheets how do you know that they haven't made a mistake and the data in their fancy presentation to C-Suite is accurate? You have absolutely no control of that and it could have serious consequences.

As for middle management, in my experience once a middle manager get the Excel bug many of them will use it to justify their position and micromanage".

Perhaps you should be more precise in your Shooting info as you are in your computer info. It's in the detail Kev', the detail.
Perhaps you should be more precise in your Shooting info as you are in your
>> computer info. It's in the detail Kev', the detail.
>>

You seem a bit prickly about this particular point?
 Swallowed some shot? - Lygonos
People into dumb sports always like to focus on the details.

That's how the Beeb can drag MoTD out for 2 hours.
>People into dumb sports always like to focus on the details.

I must defend MD here.

I've been shooting for more than 40 years and it's no more dumb than dangling your rod in cold water, or hitting a ball with sticks until you get it into a little hole in the ground.
>>I've been shooting for more than 40 years and it's no more dumb than dangling your rod in cold water, or hitting a ball with sticks until you get it into a little hole in the ground.

I agree. Same level of drivel as golfers in the Clubhouse..... :-)

www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/threads/222-for-roe.39633/
 Swallowed some shot? - Duncan
>> >>I've been shooting for more than 40 years and it's no more dumb than dangling
>> your rod in cold water, or hitting a ball with sticks until you get it
>> into a little hole in the ground.
>>
>> I agree. Same level of drivel as golfers in the Clubhouse..... :-)
>>
>> www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/threads/222-for-roe.39633/
>>

Perhaps in general terms, I would agree, however....

Hitting small balls with sticks, dangling sticks with string on in water, or my own favourite, carry, or propel an oval shaped (oblate spheroid) ball to one end of a grassy area, there to place said ball on ground, on or over a white line, but not on or over another white line....

However none of the activities in that previous paragraph require one to kill anything, or anyone. That I feel is the fundamental difference.
However none of the activities in that previous paragraph require one to kill anything, or
>> anyone. That I feel is the fundamental difference.
>>

You can always shoot clays, but even slow cooked they're a bit tough...
>>However none of the activities in that previous paragraph require one to kill anything, or >>anyone. That I feel is the fundamental difference.

That's not the impression I get when I see the level of aggression in a rugby match and the injuries of the players.
I agree. Same level of drivel as golfers in the Clubhouse..... :-)
>>
>> www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/threads/222-for-roe.39633/
>>

What drivel, mind you I've heard there's forums were people talk about which car is 'best' and all manner of things about them. Probably just a rumour though. ;-)
I'm well aware the 'unshot' deer in many places would be rather destructive to their habitats due to a lack of predators.

However, there is a place in hell next to no-plan Brexiteers for these trophy-hunting scumbags:

goo.gl/images/zuC2qg
 Swallowed some shot? - CGNorwich
Culling deer is a practical necessity now that they no longer have any natural predatqtors. There are grounds for reintroducing wolves into some parts of the Highlands but not really a practical alternative in most areas and the deer population in the U.K. is now estimated to be greater than it was in the Middle Ages. Deer can cause serious damage to crops and trees.

Breeding thousands of pheasants and letting them go in the wild so that you lean blast them out of the sky in the name of “sport” seems an odd sort of activity to me. It’s not the shooting, it’s the desire to kill things for fun I find worrying.
Breeding thousands of pheasants and letting them go in the wild so that you lean
>> blast them out of the sky in the name of “sport” seems an odd sort
>> of activity to me. It’s not the shooting, it’s the desire to kill things for
>> fun I find worrying.
>>

Some get hundreds in the bag per day, even a thousand at a few. It's industrial really, although I'm not sure there's much sport in it, you probably wouldn't even have to aim. Its a view point shared amongst some on the shoots I used to go on until recently. More than a few didn't think much of them.

But they were farm shoots where no birds were put down, just what was whatever was there. Although looking in I can see it might seem all a bit 'people's front of judea' type of an argument.
>> I'm well aware the 'unshot' deer in many places would be rather destructive to their
>> habitats due to a lack of predators.

There was a country house near our place that had a cull each year, they breed at a surprising rate. But they were pretty good at self policing how they went about it all.
>> There was a country house near our place that had a cull each year, they
>> breed at a surprising rate. But they were pretty good at self policing how they
>> went about it all.
>>

I understand that unless they have a cull and keep the herd in some sort of order, the stags start breeding with their granddaughters.
>However, there is a place in hell next to no-plan Brexiteers for these trophy-hunting scumbags:

I don't shoot critters. Inanimate targets only, although feral pigeons and grey squirrel are currently doing their best to make me change my mind.

I've been offered places on shoots and hunts, even one where a farmer had been given a license to shoot a rogue leopard, but never taken up the offers.
I'm with you there LG.
>> >People into dumb sports always like to focus on the details.
>>
>> I must defend MD here.
>>
>> I've been shooting for more than 40 years and it's no more dumb than dangling
>> your rod in cold water, or hitting a ball with sticks until you get it
>> into a little hole in the ground.
>>
Thank you Kevin given my ungracious opening bid. Regards.
Reading that I'd say the risks are tiny. It says it assumes that the visible lead isn't removed and you eat shot game twice a week every week.

People are going to remove the lead you can see and pretty unlikely to eat it year round unless you have a very large freezer what with the small window for shooting game.
 Swallowed some shot? - CGNorwich
Depends how old you are. Danger drom lead poisoning is inversely proportion to your life expectancy. The unborn and children are most vulnerable. Pensioners shouldn’t worry.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Sat 9 Feb 19 at 21:08
Perhaps it'll act as shield to the radiation I consumed after eating Welsh lamb following Chernobyl?
>> Noticed a small pellet in the lavatory bowl that wouldn't flush.
>>

Do you normally pick stuff out of the lavatory pan?

I get one of my people to give it a vigorous swishing with the bog brush, that normally takes care of it, I understand.
 Swallowed some shot? - henry k
>> I get one of my people to give it a vigorous swishing with the bog brush,
that normally takes care of it, I understand.
>>
I assume this is a regular task for staff.
If you need to prompt staff then standards are slipping :-(
 Swallowed some shot? - No FM2R
>>I get one of my people to give it a vigorous swishing with the bog brush, that normally takes care of it, I understand.

Isn't that a little painful and somewhat demeaning? Surely you'd be better to avoid eating the shot in the first place?
 Swallowed some shot? - devonite
You'll soon know if you've eaten too much shot if the next time you pass wind you blow a hole in your pants and shotgun the cat! ;-)
This thread has actually been a useful reminder. I took a closer look at my certificates today and I need to renew before August.

My local firearms officer is a great South African guy who is always on the ball and usually reminds me, but since it can take up to eight weeks I think I'll get my application in early.
 Swallowed some shot? - Zero

>> ball and usually reminds me, but since it can take up to eight weeks I
>> think I'll get my application in early.

You bet, how else you going to keep the mutant zombies residents of Basingstoke away from your front door.
Always double-tap.

And don't forget to check the back seat.

>> You bet, how else you going to keep the mutant zombies residents of Basingstoke away
>> from your front door.

As I mentioned above, "I don't shoot critters" and if we keep the wheely bins secure they tend not to bother us.
 Swallowed some shot? - tyrednemotional
...the thread's gone on some time for one initially titled (as I first thought)

"Swallowed some snot?"

I thought, "so what!"
Last edited by: tyrednemotional on Sat 16 Feb 19 at 22:22
Latest Forum Posts