Non-motoring > Smart Speaker Advice Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 21

Smart Speaker Advice - Bromptonaut
Currently have digital radio in our kitchen (dead spot for VHF/FM). It's becoming increasingly temperamental and we'd like to replace it. There are dozens of DAB radios out there but thinking about it we'd like something that can play other music as well as radio. Music would be bluetooth from phone, or using wi-fi from library on NAS. Bonus would be if it can play from Deezer, Amazon or Spotify. Looked round Curry's located several 'Smart Speakers' that fit the bill.

Options include

Sony LS-S50G/SRS-ZR7B

JBL link 20

Bose also seem to have a useful range.

Not that fussed by voice control, wd prefer a remote or Android app. Sound quality is important but it's a bog standard estate house with kitchen about 12 feet square lowish ceilings so don't need mega watts.

We're a non Apple household so nothing that relies on i-devices or Apple OS will fit bill.

Max £200.

Let's hear your suggestions.

Thanks in anticipation - Simon.
 Smart Speaker Advice - CGNorwich
If you are not fussed about voice control why don’t you just get a Bluetooth speaker and use your phone for radio streaming services etc?. That’s what I do. Have Bluetooth speakers in kitchen and bathroom and use the TV Bluetooth sound bar in the living room. Chucked out the out the DAB radio which was in the kitchen.
 Smart Speaker Advice - tyrednemotional
...I know it's the last one here, but I can recommend:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Roberts-R100-DAB-DAB-FM-Internet-Bluetooth-Radio-and-Portable-Battery-/153224800682?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

It will do everything you specify (if you accept that the streaming service is Spotify), DAB(+), FM, NAS streaming, Spotify, Bluetooth, Android, Internet Radio, Android Control App (though also completely controllable from the device itself). Sounds reasonable, and is also (since it says it includes the optional rechargeable battery somewhere in the text) portable (for the caravan?).

I'm pleased with mine, and so is my daughter with the one I bought her.

List price is much higher, and, given that they have been around at a much lower price recently I thought they were being discontinued, but it appears not, and they're back at list in most places now.
 Smart Speaker Advice - Manatee
Amazon Echo or Echo Plus? I've just put one on the kitchen because our FM reception seems to have got worse recently.

Sound quality of the Echo is not hifi but is plausible for old lugholes, on par with the old Roberts radio, and fine for speech. Nobody needs voice control but it's handy and much easier than faffing with a phone.
 Smart Speaker Advice - Zero
Been here dun that. The best is the Sonos, but the good sounding one is outside your price range. The major choice is who do you want to be smart, google or amazon. Google is good for for more info and online facilities, Alexa better for music and entertainment.

I went for the Amazon Echo Plus, it has really good sound, as good as the more expensive Bose, (I paired it to my Bose sound link blue tooth speaker, and the echo is better) it bluetooth connects to everything I have, (Android pad, MacBook Air, android phone) in AND out.

You need a prime account to get the best from the Echo tho. Mine has music source from amazon music, and my Spotify account, has BBC sounds skill, and is linked to my TV fire stick.
 Smart Speaker Advice - Crankcase
Was reading the review of the Naim NDS/555 PS yesterday, coincidentally.

Might be a bit over the budget though.

www.whathifi.com/naim/nds555-ps/review
The NDS has taken from previous high-end Naim components the idea of mounting critical circuitry on two sub-chassis, then floating these on leaf-springs to decouple them from the main casework.

The plates are made from brass, and the spring mountings were determined by 3D modelling to place them relative to the centre of gravity on the board/sub-chassis assembly. This ensures the whole thing only moves in the vertical plane in response to outside vibration.

The tuning of the springs, and the mass of the plates, put's the device's resonant frequency at 4Hz – well out of the audio band – and before the NDS is used four transit screws must be removed to free the suspension system to do its thing.

Complete rhubarb - Nothing of the sort is needed in digital electronics.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 6 Feb 19 at 02:05
 Smart Speaker Advice - Crankcase
Come come, you're not playing the game. I'm sure it makes a difference if you put it through these.

The price is almost literally the bottom line...

www.transmissionaudio.com/images/Transmission_Audio_ULTIMATE.pdf

Thanks all. Echo Plus on order for delivery tomorrow with quite a bit of other 'stuff' from Amazon.
 Smart Speaker Advice - Roger.
To get a smart speaker, firstly you have to get rid of Bercow. ;-)
>> To get a smart speaker, firstly you have to get rid of Bercow. ;-)

He might be a popinjay but he's pretty smart, that's why your compatriots can't just bluster stuff through the house.
>> Thanks all. Echo Plus on order for delivery tomorrow with quite a bit of other
>> 'stuff' from Amazon.

Basic set up completed. Need to set up a few skills but Mrs B was literally open mouthed when 'Alexa, play me some oboe music' produced a rendition of stuff my Marcello.
Update.

Alexa is pretty smart but you can catch her out.

Although her accent is English she's actually American. If you ask her to play music by The Spinners you get the Motown group of that name who called themselves The Detroit Spinners here and not the British folk pop group who we in UK know as The Spinners.

I have a bit of a penchant for 'one hit wonder' songs. She's pretty good with them. Found Seven Tears by the Goombay Dance Band and Mississippi by Pussycat and recognised Apres Toi by Vicky Leandros but told me I needed a subscription to listen. O Soley Soley by Middle of the Road had her foxed though.
Added the Deezer skill and she's now playing Vicky Leandros, or as she puts it Vicky Lean-dross. Soley Soley still has her beaten - plays a different Middle of the Road Track.
 Smart Speaker Advice - Manatee
>> Soley Soley still has her beaten - plays a different Middle of the
>> Road Track.
>>

Have just tested that that - she will oblige if you have Amazon Music Unlimited.

Have you twigged the difference between Prime Music and Music Unlimited? (apart from the £79 per year).
>> Have you twigged the difference between Prime Music and Music Unlimited? (apart from the £79
>> per year).

The £79 is why I'm using Deezer as it is my current subscription service. Mrs B and I working out whether Spotify (which she has) Deezer or Amazon Unlimited is best for full choice of music - already found Prime lacking.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sat 9 Feb 19 at 13:50
 Smart Speaker Advice - sooty123
Yes I've noticed that, to get a wide range of music as per say youtube you have to pay extra per month.
 Smart Speaker Advice - sooty123
www.lifewire.com/amazon-prime-music-unlimited-and-amazon-prime-music-compared-4160098

Here's a good comparison between the two.
 Smart Speaker Advice - VxFan
>> Alexa is pretty smart but you can catch her out.

Amazon Alexa users are being told that pop duo Jedward died eight years ago - despite the pair being very much alive.

talkradio.co.uk/news/amazon-alexa-users-told-pop-duo-jedward-are-dead-technical-glitch-19020829806

Found I'd got an offer for 90 days 'trial' subscription to Amazon Unlimited.

Been able to re-construct pretty well all of my 100+ track/6 hour 'Esoteric' playlist as on my old MP3. Might have forgotten* the odd one as some were originally licensed WMA tracks from early days of music downloads.

Thought Julia from Rick Wakeman's 1984 was an omission but now located.

So "Alexa Shuffle my Eclectic Playlist" has the music coming and coming.....

Worth the subscription just for that.

* Forgot a couple of Dubliners' tracks.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 12 Feb 19 at 18:35
I linked my Spotify account, and you have to say Alexa play xxx from Spotify or she can't find stuff that's not in Amazon music basic prime

If it's not on Spotify it's not available anywhere

Spotify is being very useful here in Guadeloupe, where being part of France, my phone has the European tarrif, or same as my home one
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 12 Feb 19 at 21:00
>> >> Alexa is pretty smart but you can catch her out.
>>
>> Amazon Alexa users are being told that pop duo Jedward died eight years ago -

Clearly she is doing us a favour
Latest Forum Posts