Non-motoring > Cooking from frozen Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 11

Cooking from frozen - Crankcase
Last week bought some Tesco "cod in bubbly batter", freeze on day of purchase. Packet says "not suitable for cooking from frozen, defrost thoroughly first". Did that.

It as quite nice, amazingly, so tried to get some more today. They had none, so bought Youngs "cod in bubbly batter" instead. Packet says "best cooked from frozen"

What's that all about then? Cod is cod, so what might be different about batter?

Cooking from frozen - Zero
Batter is Batter, Cod is not Cod.

If its proper fillets of cod, then its best cooked from frozen. If its sliced from bricks of reconstituted cod, then it needs to be thawed.

Its all about bacteria in the middle or on the outside of the meat. Like you can have a raw steak, but a raw burger can kill you.
 Cooking from frozen - Bromptonaut
The Youngs product is (presumably) supplied frozen and the instructions start from that.

The Tesco product is chilled and its cooking instructions are different. If you cook it from frozen then provided you ensure it's piping hot all way through I doubt it would harm you. Maybe the batter will not be as the Tesco Chef intended but would be fine with usual condiments. .
Thanks for that - hadn't really ever thought about fillets v slices of mashed up old bits. Interesting.

And also I have tried cooking some things not in accordance with instructions in the past and the results have been very variable.

But really I'm surprised nobody has leapt in with a batter recipe, probably containing Guinness and the merest hint of gin that has been waved in front of the light reflected from the eye of a wolf on a mountain top on Walpurgisnacht through a gold needle's eye.
 Cooking from frozen - tyrednemotional
...the gold needle's eye is just a trifle over-seasoning it......

>> But really I'm surprised nobody has leapt in with a batter recipe, probably containing Guinness

Dont push it, my father always claimed the head on Guinness was the scum from the Dublin gutters.
I misread that "on" as "of", which was interesting, as I found myself on holiday with the then ex-head of Guinness once. He was quite a character.
 Cooking from frozen - smokie
Not the one who recovered from dementia so well?
No, it was Tony Purssell.
>> Not the one who recovered from dementia so well?

and still going strong some 28 years later.
 Cooking from frozen - Bromptonaut
>> Not the one who recovered from dementia so well?

It makes a good story but symptoms he suffered are not unknown with stress; I've seen colleagues in an almost catatonic state subsequently diagnosed as stress. It was a Doctor's evidence, albeit contradicted by Crown's medic, but backed up by scans that suggested early onset dementia.

The usual diagnosis back then (in older people) was dementia, probably of the Alzheimers type. May be different now but in nineties I believe Alzheimers could only be definitively diagnosed post mortem. Tests would however detect probability of other causes like mini-strokes or blood supply issues.
 Cooking from frozen - smokie
In that case methinks the forensic pathologist in the following from Wikipedia was telling a porky or two..

"Lord Justice Neill said that he was satisfied that Saunders was suffering from pre-senile dementia associated with Alzheimer's disease, which is incurable.[2] The decision was based on evidence from Dr Patrick Gallwey, a forensic pathologist, that Saunders was unable to recite three numbers backwards, was unable to use a door and his assertion that Gerald Ford rather than George Bush was the current President of the United States.[4][6]"

Latest Forum Posts