Non-motoring > switching energy suppliers - uswitch Miscellaneous
Thread Author: sherlock47 Replies: 9

switching energy suppliers - uswitch - sherlock47
Last night Scottish Power were offering an atractive deal saving about £450 against the EON standard tariff. It was marked as 'limited offer', 'maybe withdrawn at any time'.

Thinking that it would probably be there this am I left it for 12 hours, and guess what? I t has gone! The next best deal is probably npower saving about £200, altho EON may offer a better deal on transfer to a different plan but this is not listed on the Uswitch site.

The Question is; do these good offers reappear or are they offered for short periods of time?

Historically, I have not been a 'rate tart', but spare time can be put to good use.
 switching energy suppliers - uswitch - TheManWithNoName
Blimey, what a coincidence. Me and wife were sitting for hours last night on this site and eventually plumped for Scottish Power. Said it could save us nearly £400 and they were offering £70 cashback (which we could use to pay the cancellation tariff with them if we decide we don't like them before November 2011).

switching energy suppliers - uswitch - Dog
Caveat Emptor - www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11150541
 switching energy suppliers - uswitch - AnotherJohnH
Be aware a new round of price increases seems to have just started.

You may jump just before the new suppliers price goes up (after your "cooling off" period).

IMHO, the only way you stand a chance of winning is with a price capped tarrif, and the prices go up a lot while your price is fixed.
Last edited by: AnotherJohnH on Thu 2 Sep 10 at 19:50
 switching energy suppliers - uswitch - Redfire
I am very sceptical about these comparison sites because they told me I could save loads of money but when I looked at the price per unit and the daily standing charge cost, compared it with what I am paying now it was in fact more expensive. I called them to see where the saving would be and they admitted it would cost me more if I switched.

Ensure you check everything thoroughly before signing your life away.
 switching energy suppliers - uswitch - -
We switched a good few years ago after finding out we'd been conned by one of the biggest for donkeys years.

We went with Ebico for gas and electric, one price for all regardless of how you pay, no complicated pricing structures either.

www.ebico.co.uk/
 switching energy suppliers - uswitch - borasport
We changed earlier this year. We tried to do the change through Uswitch and found them spectacularly pathetic
I think their web site says something like 'it may take 2 to 4 weeks before your new supplier contact you' - we'd heard nothing after 6 weeks, asked Uswitch to get it sorted and they said that they could not contact the supplier on our behalf as 'that would be illegal under the Data Protection Act'.
When head meets brick wall, stop banging and take a different route. Rang new supplier direct and were sorted in two weeks
Last edited by: borasport on Thu 2 Sep 10 at 20:57
The best I could find was to stay with EON and change tariff to 'Save Online Dual Fuel V3'

Now comparing current competitive offerings with Uswitch there appears to be nobody cheaper! So maybe it did me a favour!

The other thing to look at is the Uswitch definitions of
Variable Direct Debit vs Fixed Direct Debit

I cannot make sense of which is which!
Last edited by: pmh on Sat 4 Sep 10 at 12:05
 switching energy suppliers - uswitch - sajid
i switched my electric/gas provider from edf to southern electric, on the uswitch comparision site, i went for the fixed price deal aug 2011, according to my previous supplier on the v3 online tarrif i saved myself 184 annually and looking at the charges per unit for both gas and electric southern electric was cheaper.

it pays to look at what the unit charges are as compared to your previous supplier

>>>ccording to my previous supplier on the (edf) v3 online tarrif i saved myself 184 annually and looking at the charges per unit for both gas and electric southern electric was cheaper.<<<

Looking at the southern electric fixed price deal, it is £160 more expensive than the EON Online V3 tariff, maybe it has gone up since you closed your deal?

Maybe that is the cost of fixing the price. All depends on how prices move. Will the $ - £ rate change? Since the key driver, oil, is priced in $. Depends on whether the supplier has bought futures wisely. Too many variables to cope with!
Last edited by: pmh on Sat 4 Sep 10 at 18:07
Latest Forum Posts