Non-motoring > Smart TV help Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 3

Smart TV help - Bobby
This may well be a stupid question but you would expect that from me by now...

I have a website link where I can watch live football. It works on phones, ipad and PC easy enough. I thought I would be smart (boom boom) and put this address into the web browser on my LG Smart TV and watch it directly on TV rather than plugging laptop in with HDMI.

However it doesnt work, I get the sound ok but no picture. Why is that? Assume its something else is needed, a kind of Java or something?
 Smart TV help - nice but dim
Exactly that, some plugin will be required be it Flash, Java or something or other no doubt.

You can (well I can) "cast" what is playing on a phone or tablet to a smart TV (dumb TV with Chromecast) in my case. This is how I watch something on Amazon on my TV i.e Grand Tour.

On the whole, it works, you do get the odd stutter.

I think the browsers in smart TV's are for web pages only.
 Smart TV help - No FM2R
No, it is probably the Codec or the format of the video.

My Samsung Smart TV absolutely refuses to play the video on x265 compressed videos, for example, but is fine with the audio.

Formats are complicated things and many combinations can be done within a similar looking container.

Your laptop does understand the format, but it passes it to your TV in a much simpler format which your TV understands.

You can try updating your TV, but I don't hold out much hope.

It'll be under system / setup or something like that on the TV menu.
 Smart TV help - Zero
Its likely your tv does not have the correct video codec to render and descramble the streamed video, hence you get sound, but no picture.

There might be an update available for your TV, but dont bank on it. And no, you cant just download java for your TV. They might be smart, but in name only, they are actually very dumb.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 28 Jan 19 at 14:47
Latest Forum Posts