Non-motoring > Amazon Prime Legal Questions
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 31

Amazon Prime - No FM2R
Does anybody know how you can check the listings for countries other than the one you are in?

Does anybody have anything to say about whether they prefer Netflix or Amazon?
 Amazon Prime - Crankcase
Can't really help with other market listings. You can do the inverse (how about that for answering the question with completely the wrong answer?) by using something like

www.canistream.it/

which tells you if a specific title is streamable, and where.

The second part of your question then. For me, if you split the two into "original offerings" and "other movies/programmes" then:

Netflix has more and better original programming. Amazon has a few good things, but Netflix wins out here.

Netflix has a better but smaller selection of movies. They tend to be things you've heard of, and tend to be better quality, but not so much choice (at least in the UK). The US catalogue is much more extensive, or was when I last did some geo-relocation.

Finally, Amazon has an unsurpassed selection of old toss, which for me is great, but probably nobody else. So if you want schlock horror, manky scifi with laughable effects, long-and-best-forgotten-if-you-are-at-all-pc exploitation movies from the seventies and such like, then Amazon is your choice.

However, you can boost Amazon with add-on channels, which you can't do with Netflix. I've used the BFI channel (worthy proper movies), MUBI (worthy weird modern movies) and currently Universal Studios (great for Westerns and detective movies from the forties on). Watch until sated, kill the channel and try another.

There are others like the MGM channel and the Warner channel I've not got to yet.

Turn them on or off at will, cheap add-ons for a months viewing.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Fri 25 Jan 19 at 08:53
 Amazon Prime - CGNorwich
A listing of all the films available on Amazon Prime in the US

www.finder.com/amazon-prime-movies
 Amazon Prime - R.P.
We have both - we tend to watch more Amazon than Netflix.
 Amazon Prime - Zero
To find out whats on in other regions I would play around with my VPN, setting a different country of origin, and regional host URL

I have prime for a few reasons, Amazon delivery, Amazon Music, Integration with Alexa, and Prime does Bosch and GT

Anything Netflix I steal from a US torrent site.

Its a no brainer for me.
 Amazon Prime - movilogo
>> Anything Netflix I steal from a US torrent site.

If you really desparate to watch a movie online for free, then look at which websites are blocked in UK as per court order (Wikipedia has a list) and chances are you will get your movie in one of those websites.

All you need is VPN. If you are using a Linux PC risk of getting malware is almost nil.

Between Amazon and Netflix, I tried both and prefer Amazon. Netflix is more limited IMHO. However, my taste is different as I watch more Bollywood films than Hollywood flims.

I also use amazon.in frequently (to get stuff delivered to my family in India) and amazon.in offers an extra payment option known as "Cash on delivery" where receiver pays for goods when taking actual delivery.
 Amazon Prime - Zero
>> >> Anything Netflix I steal from a US torrent site.
>>
>> If you really desparate to watch a movie online for free, then look at which
>> websites are blocked in UK as per court order (Wikipedia has a list) and chances
>> are you will get your movie in one of those websites.

Err I think that's what I said I do.
 Amazon Prime - DP
Kodi has some great add-ons for this kind of thing, too. And as you are streaming rather than downloading, there's no sharing of copyrighted content from your device with others (which is a greater offence).

I run Kodi on a Raspberry Pi tucked away in a cupboard, and control it from the telly remote with CEC over the HDMI cable. Works well.
 Amazon Prime - CGNorwich
I know it’s controverrtial but if you want to watch a streaming service you can actually pay and they will give you access. A lot of people do it.
 Amazon Prime - Zero
Someone told me you can BUY books and music too. With real money.
 Amazon Prime - CGNorwich
You sure can. A good alternative to stealing them from the bookshop.
 The Ultimate Betrayal - zippy
Who'd have thought it!?

I have been married to Mrs Z for 30 years and she does this horrible thing.

I was away in Northern Ireland on business earlier this week and stayed a couple of nights.

To my horror, when I got home, I found she had betrayed me in the most obscene way possible. My trust in her is totally shattered. I will never be able to leave the house again without worrying what she is up to!

What's worse is that she doesn't want to do it with me again. I have asked and asked but no luck.

I guess that I will have to suck up the courage to watch the next box set episode of Silent Witness all by myself now that she watched it without me!

:-)
 The Ultimate Betrayal - Zero
Its was full of cut up tattooed body parts.
 The Ultimate Betrayal - CGNorwich
You actually like “Silent Witness” ?

The Ultimate Betrayal - Clk Sec
Some folk must, as it keeps returning for yet another series.
Not my cup of tea, though.
I guess we all get addicted to something or other on the box. I rather had a penchant for all those skandi noir serials.
 The Ultimate Betrayal - John Boy
>>I rather had a penchant for all those skandi noir serials.
>>
Still have, in my case. Currently it's "The River" on All4.
>> You actually like “Silent Witness” ?

Yes. And why not?
No reason at all. Just that I really don't. Seems very amateurish compared with a lot of US and Skandi series. But there again I listen to the Archers so can make no claim to critical judgement

The Ultimate Betrayal - smokie
I enjoy Silent Witness but don't they often go beyond the bounds of their role? I know it's only a TV show...
Some of the autopsy scenes are simply offal.

The Ultimate Betrayal - R.P.
I went off it when the delectable Amanda Burton left it.
>> I went off it when the delectable Amanda Burton left it.

Like the older, slightly battered type do we?

Prefer the replacement.
>> I enjoy Silent Witness but don't they often go beyond the bounds of their role?

>
Not as much as CSI
 The Ultimate Betrayal - R.P.
I knew a Home Office pathologist who treated it as a comedy programme.
 The Ultimate Betrayal - Manatee
>> I knew a Home Office pathologist who treated it as a comedy programme.

I'm not surprised, it's ludricrous at times and we roar with laughter at least once per episode.

Not keen on Amanda Burton though - grotesque overacting, although her replacement isn't much better.
>> >> I knew a Home Office pathologist who treated it as a comedy programme.
>>
>> I'm not surprised, it's ludricrous at times and we roar with laughter at least once
>> per episode.

A factual program about home office pathology is not exactly going to be entertaining or gripping tv. I went to the path lab/ morgue at UCH once many years ago, and while interesting, its not twice a week, 10 weeks a year stuff!
 The Ultimate Betrayal - Manatee
Well, yes. I've long suspected that very few detectives get to investigate several murders per week like inspector Barnaby.
You wouldn't want to live in Midsomer for sure.

Since Midsomer Murders first aired in 1997, it has featured 222 murders (an average of nearly three per episode), plus 11 accidental deaths, 11 suicides and seven deaths from natural causes
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 26 Jan 19 at 20:06
 The Ultimate Betrayal - Bobby
I watch very little TV, just don't seem to get the time or something that gets my attention. I have many friends and colleagues who hang onto the latest boxset and have to give opinions on every episode. I once tried watching Breaking Bad and got bored after 3 episodes. Friends told me that I needed to hang in there and it was a slow burner but got really good. Sorry, no, if it hasn't grasped my attention in 3 hours I ain't wasting any more time on it!

When I go on holiday, like I was last week, I struggle to find something suitable to download to watch on the plane. Downloaded Silent Witness, a 2 parter about Trans folk and getting murdered. Thought it was good though I'm not sure if it would grip my attention for a longer series.

I also read a book! A real book! I only ever read on holiday and its usually autobiographies I pick up in charity shops. But I also picked up a Val McDermid book - The Distant Echo - and I read it over a couple of days , really got my attention. All 561 pages!

Feel all growed up now!
 The Ultimate Betrayal - Kevin
Mrs K. watches all the gruesome murder shows and has loads of books about serial killers etc. She knows all the gory details of Bundy, Gacy, Dahmer, Ramirez and McDuff off by heart.

Yes. I sleep with one eye open.
 The Ultimate Betrayal - tyrednemotional
>>
>> Yes. I sleep with one eye open......
>>

....three doors down the street...
Latest Forum Posts