Non-motoring > RIP Windsor Davies Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 15

RIP Windsor Davies - VxFan
Surprised no one has mentioned this yet?

It Ain't Half Hot Mum actor dies aged 88

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-46931129
 RIP Windsor Davies - Zero
Probably because it was a crap program that's aged badly. Windsor Davies was one dimensional.
 RIP Windsor Davies - No FM2R
It was a crap program, and it has indeed aged badly.

But I quite liked him in another comedy show; with Donald Sinden. No idea what it was called though.
 RIP Windsor Davies - R.P.
"Never the Twain Shall Meet" There was some classic comedy around in those days. Fawlty Towers,Porridge, Rising Damp...I A 'A H M was grey porridge.
 RIP Windsor Davies - CGNorwich
I rather liked it. Comparable to,Dads Army. Of course views on what is acceptable in comedy terms have changed from the seventies so unlike Dads Army no longer aired on TV
>> Of course views on what is acceptable in comedy terms have changed from the seventies

Yes, the snowflakes would have a fit if IAHHM was ever aired again.
 RIP Windsor Davies - zippy
>> >> Of course views on what is acceptable in comedy terms have changed from the
>> seventies
>>
>> Yes, the snowflakes would have a fit if IAHHM was ever aired again.
>>

Yes, its such a shame as they are almost a snapshot of attitudes of the time.

I was watching a recording of The League of Gentlemen (a 1960's film) and there were several edits, including some very funny lines.

When Hyde and Race are walking up the stairs of Hyde's house, Race comments on the picture hanging on the wall and it turns out to be Hyde's wife. Race asks if she's dead and Hyde replies - along the lines of, no, unfortunately the bitch is still with us. This was removed!

Another scene where Richard Attenborough comments that he is going to sleep with the lights on because his room mate was (ever so subtly gay) was also removed.

If we stop telling people how it was and how it is we risk forgetting history and are potentially dammed to repeat it.

>> I was watching a recording of The League of Gentlemen (a 1960's film) and there
>> were several edits, including some very funny lines.

Now thats a pity, TLOG is a very good film because its lightened with bits of humour like that. The picture on the stairs gag has always been a classic., delivered so well too.
>> >> Of course views on what is acceptable in comedy terms have changed from the
>> seventies
>>

Nothing to do with what's acceptable nowadays, it was rubbish then, and it stands up as rubbish now.
 RIP Windsor Davies - CGNorwich
In your humble opinion of course.
 RIP Windsor Davies - Crankcase
Talking Pictures TV has a disclaimer at the start of some (lots of) films that says something like "The attitudes in this film may not reflect those of today, and please don't take offence".

You think it's going to show some dreadful scene of slaves beating up homosexuals, but often it gets to the end and you think you have NO idea what was wrong with it. And then you worry all night in case the words "ironing board" means some dreadful sexual practice that only non-woke people use.

It's a worry.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Mon 21 Jan 19 at 09:41
>> In your humble opinion of course.

I suspect that fact it never really got repeated much means its not just my opinion and not so humble.
>> Nothing to do with what's acceptable nowadays, it was rubbish then, and it stands up as rubbish now.

If Windsor was alive today, he'd have this to say to you

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGDxnVZBFNQ

;)
>> >> Nothing to do with what's acceptable nowadays, it was rubbish then, and it stands
>> up as rubbish now.
>>
>> If Windsor was alive today, he'd have this to say to you
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGDxnVZBFNQ
>>
>> ;)

And that, in a nutshell, highlights my point admirably.
>> And that, in a nutshell, highlights my point admirably.

Ah, shut up.
 RIP Windsor Davies - sooty123
>> seventies
>>
>>

I doubt anyone under 35 would watch it, most will have never heard of it and for those that have its something their grandparents would watch.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Mon 21 Jan 19 at 10:30
Latest Forum Posts