Non-motoring > Pig ignorant. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 31

Pig ignorant. - Old Navy
Why do some people believe that answering a phone takes priority over everything else?
 Pig ignorant. - CGNorwich
Because talking to the person in front of them is not very interesting but the phone call just might be?
 Pig ignorant. - Manatee
Bit like answering the door I suppose. But I do tend to say "excuse me, do you mind if I answer that?" if I'm concerned about missing a call I've been waiting for.

People who just pick the phone up and answer it in the middle of a conversation are plain rude.
 Pig ignorant. - Perky Penguin
Where I work I have to deal with people face ot face and field phone calls at the same time; the problem with not answering the phone is that it keeps ringing very loudly and makes conversation almost impossible. I do the "Excuse I'll just deal with this", keep the call short or ask them to call back and that seems to work.
 Pig ignorant. - Zero
The person on the phone might ring off and you may loose new business. The person in front of you is captive.

The correct way to handle it, is to appologise to the person in front of you, answer the phone, spend 15 seconds to qualify them and take a number or put them on hold and then return to your captive punter.
I work for the NHS - we don't want new business!

Pig ignorant. - Zero
Well I would be upset if i was a repeat customer.
Zero we are actually in complete agreement as to how to deal with clients who are face to face and when a phone is going. If you are a repeat customer you are not new business!
 Pig ignorant. - corax
Not me. I'll only answer if I'm not busy doing something else. You'd like my mobile phone ringtone ON, it's a sonar ping :-)
 Pig ignorant. - R.P.
I generally used to allow the phone to ring, invariably whoever I was talking to would say "do you want to take that ?" I might then again I might not !
 Pig ignorant. - Old Navy
>> You'd like my mobile phone ringtone ON, it's a sonar ping :-)
>>

Submarines don't ping, that gives you away and someone will fire something unpleasant at you. :)
 Pig ignorant. - Zero
Its not called the silent service for nothing.
 Pig ignorant. - R.P.
Some "wag" had the 24 ringtone on his phone sad old git. He was everything that Jack Bauer wasn't.
 Pig ignorant. - corax
>> >> You'd like my mobile phone ringtone ON, it's a sonar ping :-)
>> >>
>>
>> Submarines don't ping, that gives you away and someone will fire something unpleasant at you.
>> :)

I was being sarcastic :-) Perhaps I should have said sonar bounce.
Last edited by: corax on Wed 1 Sep 10 at 20:50
 Pig ignorant. - Old Navy
>> I was being sarcastic :-) Perhaps I should have said sonar bounce.
>>
Sorry I forgot the smiley, Hunt for red October fan, eh.
 Pig ignorant. - legacylad
Quite right ON.
Many is the time I am serving a customer in a retail environment, or proferring advice for which they asked. Their phone rings, they answer it, I immediately serve the next customer who is waiting patiently and they go to the back of the queue.
Two people can play that game, and invariably it is those with plenty of spare time who act in this manner.
Last edited by: legacylad on Wed 1 Sep 10 at 21:07
 Pig ignorant. - RattleandSmoke
If I am at a job and I am waiting for scans etc and my phone goes I will answer it. If I am busy working on the computer or talking to the client I will ignore it. I probably loose about two jobs a year by not answering straight away as the vast majority I want to book me so they will wait.

Pig ignorant. - corax
>> Hunt for red October fan, eh.

More a Das Boot fan. Probably not very realistic, but great to watch.
Last edited by: corax on Wed 1 Sep 10 at 21:23
 Pig ignorant. - Runfer D'Hills
If I'm in a meeting I turn my phone off and quietly mention to others present that I'm doing so. I try to make a reasonably lightweight comment about how I don't want it ringing while we are speaking. Generally they take the hint and do likewise.
 Pig ignorant. - R.P.
What really used to wind me up was the people who turned up with two or more phones - What's that all about ?
 Pig ignorant. - BiggerBadderDave
"What's that all about ?"

One for the wife, one for the bit on the side, one for the dealer.
 Pig ignorant. - -

>> One for the wife, one for the bit on the side, one for the dealer.
>>

A chap i know has specific swinging simcard.
 Pig ignorant. - Dave_
Never trust a man with two mobile phones.
Last edited by: Dave_TD {P} on Wed 1 Sep 10 at 23:01
 Pig ignorant. - ....
One phone for work, one private especially when abroad in these financially straightened times with accountants having nothing better to do with their time with fewer beans to generally count.

Two laptops and customs now that's a laugh...
 Pig ignorant. - Old Navy
>> More a Das Boot fan. Probably not very realistic, but great to watch.
>>

The most realistic depiction of war conditions in a diesel boat that I have seen. Superb movie.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 1 Sep 10 at 21:39
 Pig ignorant. - bathtub tom
I used to have to deal with a bloke on the floor above. To break the monotony I'd walk up the stairs to speak to him directly - he'd always answer his 'phone if it rang!

I cured him by going back downstairs and ringing him to tell him I was coming up to speak to him and leaving my 'phone off the hook.

He wouldn't answer his 'phone if it rang, but would twitch when it did. ;>)
 Pig ignorant. - Old Navy
I had a phone shock last night, I woke up at about 3.30am and reached for my phone to see what the time was. As I touched the phone the hotel fire alarm sounded! I almost had a heart attack until I realised what it was. Two fire engines and a 30 minute stand outside, as a slightly drunk resident apologised repeatedly for making toast at that time of the morning, meant we were well awake and decided to head for home early (4 hour drive) breakfast half way home and a traffic free run. Good job we are early bed early up people, most hotel residents were less than impressed. :)
 Pig ignorant. - Netsur
Great alarm call!

Must admit - even with early to bed an unwanted 3:30am call is not ideal, even if it gets you home early.
 Pig ignorant. - L'escargot
That's an unjustified slur on pigs!
 Pig ignorant. - BobbyG
At 3 mins past 7 the other morning my house smoke alarms went off. Having previously had a fire I can assure you that nothing wakens your senses so quickly as that piercing noise (although my son slept right through it which is quite worrying).

Checked 4 smoke alarms, checked every room, even up into the loft to check that and all within 2 mins. Didn't find out what caused it which was quite worrying in itself!

Bought a fire extinguisher from Aldi for £9 though just to give me a chance if it happens again.
 Pig ignorant. - BiggerBadderDave
"my house smoke alarms went off."

Oh Bobby, it's just a matter of time.

Tick tock tick tock...

Bonfire night soon isn't it?
 Pig ignorant. - Old Navy
I have been in several fires, (as a firefighter), my house has working smoke detectors and a big fire extinguisher. The golden rule is if you smell smoke, get out fast, dont stop for anything, and forget the fire extinguisher. You can reasses the situation from the outside in safety.
Latest Forum Posts