Non-motoring > Passport Renewal Con Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 29

Passport Renewal Con - Ambo
Have any posters been caught out by this? I am in the process as I want to renew my passport 3 months early:

www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/new-passport-renewal-policy/

Another problem. It is theoretically possible to apply online using the digital photo and key that some passport photo services offer. The key in my case is a series of 8 mixed characters but
look here and you will find you need to enter the key in 3 different boxes in the sequence box.box/box. The example given is abc.de/1fGh314:

www.gov.uk/renew-adult-passport/renew

There is no way I can get my key accepted; in other words, this service is useless for me and there is another problem. If you use the digital photo service make sure your operative gets your email address correct. Mine misheard me and got one letter wrong, a mistake that does not shown on the card provided, only when trying it out at home online.
 Passport Renewal Con - No FM2R
Don't get it.

Where's the 'con '?
Applicants now don't get any credit for unexpired time whereas it was previously added to the renewed passport.
That's it?

Surely that's just a sensible change removing an anomaly not a 'con'?
 Passport Renewal Con - tyrednemotional
..well. it's certainly not a con per se, but I can't really agree with your view on it being a sensible change removing an anomaly.

It is widely recommended that you have at least 6 months validity on your passport when travelling abroad (indeed, it is a requirement in some countries).

Previously, recognising this, and providing a sensible solution, one was able to renew in the period 9 to 6 months before expiry, and have the anniversary of the expiring passport reflected in that of the new one. (a bit like having an MOT done in the month before expiry).

Now, should you wish to retain at least 6 months validity, (a requirement that is, admittedly, dependent on your travel plans and expiry date) you will end up paying for at least a 6 month "overlap" period - on a 10 year passport effectively a 5% "stealth" price rise.

I can't say I'm entirely happy about it (I will be in that situation this year), any more than I would be if, when renewing an insurance policy in advance of expiry, the insurer insisted that the new cover would run from the date of payment, rather than from the date of previous expiry.

Passport Renewal Con - CGNorwich
“It is widely recommended that you have at least 6 months validity on your passport when travelling abroad (indeed, it is a requirement in some countries).”

Will be a requirement for travel to EU post Brexit. Likely to catch out a lot of people.
 Passport Renewal Con - movilogo
This similar to other govt services like TV license, DVLA tax etc.

You can minimize it by renewing it in the last month (as long as you don't foresee any foreign visit immediately).

When a service is monopoly, authorities can do whatever they want.
 Passport Renewal Con - Lemma
I recently applied online using the Gov website - www.gov.uk/renew-adult-passport/renew - and found it to be say and straightforward. No problems at all and the new passport arrived in less than a week. I even used a photo taken with a smartphone against a whitish wall in the house and they accepted that. Many countries now require a minimum of six months on a passport so the price for renewal of a 10 year passport is essentially £75.50 + 5%.
 Passport Renewal Con - Zero
>> Applicants now don't get any credit for unexpired time whereas it was previously added to
>> the renewed passport.

10 year passport is £75, that £7.50 a year. Three months loss of that is about £1.80

Is it really a con?
 Passport Renewal Con - PeterS

>>
>> 10 year passport is £75, that £7.50 a year. Three months loss of that is
>> about £1.80
>>
>> Is it really a con?
>>

Not only that, the cost of a passport actually reduced in 2012 to £72.50, and in real terms is now a fiver lower than that. Difficult to get too worked up about it!

www.gov.uk/government/news/new-reduced-price-for-passports
No doubt we'll now see claims of "stealth tax/cost reductions".
I have never allowed my passport to get down to a short enough period to cause me issues. Given the unpredictable nature of my life over the years, that has always been 12 months. Though typically they are full long before they expire.

It has long been the standard that the validity of your passport must exceed the maximum length of your legal stay in a country. If anything then I think less countries require it these days than used to. 100% certain that less airlines require it since it used to be their default position whatever the immigration requirements at the other end.

These days I worry less since the process is now so fast and efficient. 2 - 3 weeks wherever in the world you are including postage/courier times in both directions.

This is a change. It is a very small change and, in my opinion, a sensible change. A nonsense for a passport to be able to have a longer validity than 10 years.

Storm in a teacup and certainly not a con.
 Passport Renewal Con - CGNorwich
I guess most of us will expire before a ten year passport does. Don't think either final destination demands one anyway. :-)
I am 64*, My passport expires in 5 months, I shall renew upon return from the cruise in Feb, ready for Spain in June. Takes me to 74, I fully expect to be vacationing abroad for a few years after that.

*And she still needs me, and she still feeds me.
 Passport Renewal Con - Runfer D'Hills
64?

Soon be time for a Honda Jazz then?

;-))
maybe, I have to admit I have bought a rather snazzy flat cap.

Looks a bit incongruous at {cough} 70mph in lane 3
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 4 Jan 19 at 16:13
Ach it's fine, at least you took the precaution of wearing it in a beige car...no one will think it's unusual.

;-)
The cap matches.
 Passport Renewal Con - legacylad
You wear a cap, in a car? Why would you wear any headgear in a car unless it’s a convertible with the roof down ? In a Westfield it would have to be a baseball cap back to front. If you were under 21. Or a ‘septic’.
I used to wear a sheepskin flying helmet in my Westfield. Yeah, I know, don't worry, I don't have either of them now, although come to think, the hat might still be in the loft...
Even without my steam powered crystal ball I just knew you would be so attired
Well, you know how it is, you just can't hide a natural sense of style, but I'd have to say, a metallic beige cap might be pushing it a bit...

;-)
 Passport Renewal Con - tyrednemotional
>> a metallic beige cap might be pushing it a bit...
>>

.......not to mention it being a bit heavy......
you need a tin foil cap on here at times.
Is your mangy mutt being joined by a whippet to complement the flat cap look ?
No, cant stand the things.

And my ranked pedigree working dog is neither a Mutt nor Mangy

Tho she does acquire the odd flea friend from time to time
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 4 Jan 19 at 19:03
I’ll take your word for that Dick Dastardly
She does snicker and grumble and she does plot revenge.
And the dog?
In the event, I used the Post Office route, although it cost about £9 more than the digital. It took about 5 minutes and I got my new passport (my 8th.) in 6 days, the old one two days after.

However, I later got my digital card corrected in case it may be of use later. This was done at the original photoshop and took only a few minutes.
Latest Forum Posts