Non-motoring > New Year resolutions. Groan Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 7

New Year resolutions. Groan - legacylad
I’m making none. As usual. Apart from trying to remain fit, healthy and on top. And continue to visit different places both within the UK and more distant shores

In 2018 my best trip anywhere was two weeks backpacking the Pembrokeshire Coast Path. In 2019 I fancy visiting both Mexico and Cuba....mostly off the tourist track, probably as part of a small group. And I need to revisit Argentina as it’s been 20+ years since I passed through BA en route to the ‘Fin del mundo ‘

A few beers early doors tonight with friends in my local, tucked up in bed with a good book by 22:00, then early start for a glorious full day on the fells tomorrow with my LDWA group. Great forecast at the moment next two days...full sun.

All the best one and all
 New Year resolutions. Groan - No FM2R
If you mean Ushuaia and you were there 20 years ago, then don't go. I think you will be disappointed. It is now a resort town, £100 3* hotels and tourists. BA is a total basket case.

And if you're going to do Cuba, then asap would probably be a good idea.
Yes, July 1995. Sailed across the B channel on the Prof Khromov with circa 25 passengers tops. Access all areas on board, and spent most of my time on the bridge trying to learn a few Russian words. Best trip. Ever. Russian crew, very basic food, constantly hopping on and off RIBS.
Shame about BA. I’ve very fond memories. Very attractive place.
Last edited by: legacylad on Mon 31 Dec 18 at 14:34
The Prof Khromov is still sailing. Or at least it was a couple of years ago. It doesn't have a very good reputation.

This isn't an easy read because of the language, but it paints quite the picture. Made me smile when it got to the point about the lifebelts also falling out of the cupboard.

www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12337-k10103511-Trip_report_on_professor_khromov_or_spirit_of_enderby-Antarctic_Adventures.html
Now that’s what I call an experience. In 1995, pre ship refit, our food was mainly tinned meat, cabbage and potatoes. I’m pretty certain there was no doctor on board. Still an amazing experience, from which the lack of finer things detracted not one iota.
 New Year resolutions. Groan - tyrednemotional
......cardboard box?
Aye.
You were lucky...........
It didn’t sink! It was rough and ready, non English speaking Russian crew, bunk beds, tiny functional cabins, but after a lifetime of wild camping i wasn’t going to complain. No luxuries whatsoever but floated our boat. The polar opposite of a fancy luxury cruise which is just what we wanted.
Latest Forum Posts