Non-motoring > Garage door, recommendations? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 15

Garage door, recommendations? - Old Navy
I am thinking of replacing my up and over door with a vertical lift type. I have seen sectional doors which are horizontal when open, and I don't want a roller door, (a bit industrial). Any experiences welcome.
 Garage door, recommendations? - Iffy
...I don't want a roller door, (a bit industrial)...

They can be, but there are now a range of colours and finishes.

www.auto-roll.com/about.html
 Garage door, recommendations? - PeteW
Dare I suggest Everest?
Sectional door with a 10 year guarantee and European WK2 security standard. Lots of colours and designs too.

>> Dare I suggest Everest?
>>
>>
Suggest anything you like, all options will be considered. I like the look of the Hormann online info, I haven't looked at any in the real world yet.
 Garage door, recommendations? - legacylad
presumably you have seen fantasygaragedoors.com ?
Yes, thanks. I only just have room to get my car clear of the pavement and then open the up and over door. A vertically opening door would be more convenient, the Hormann door seems to be weather tight and insulated.
 Garage door, recommendations? - BobbyG
ON, I recently had a remote control roller shutter installed. Guy took me through the various types and I got one with insulation, no rattling etc. Would recommend it, especially if you have limited space.
 Garage door, recommendations? - rtj70
Our new home has a detached garage at the end of the garden. The garage is an up and over type and to get the car onto the road the gates also need opening. I keep thinking (only been here 3 months) about an auto opening for both garage door and gates. Getting the power down that end of the garden no doubt costs for a start.
 Garage door, recommendations? - sherlock47
>>>Getting the power down that end of the garden no doubt costs for a start.<<<

Various manufacurers of automation products offer solar powered options. IIRC however you are 'up North' - does the sun shine in the winter?
 Garage door, recommendations? - Clk Sec
>>I like the look of the Hormann

We had an up-and-over Hormann fitted a few years ago. Seems pretty good, and came with a 10 year guarantee.
Last edited by: Clk Sec on Thu 2 Sep 10 at 09:51
Thanks for the input folks, the deed is done. I have ordered a Hormann sectional door and power operator. It consists of four insulated sections which open vertically and roll back horizontally. It will replace a sheet steel Hormann door and give almost a foot extra width to the opening as the operating gear is all clear of the opening. I found the quotes identical from three totally independent companies, RRP and free fitting, or a discount and pay for fitting. Guess what, both options identical from all three. I went for the local company which had the most professional attitude, gave us the address of an identical door they had recently fitted, and gave me an installation date based on normal lead times, but would bring it forward if possible.
 Garage door, recommendations? - wotspur
O.N. can I be so rude as to enquire as to what its costing I contacted a national company, that had a fantastic looking roll up and over - very secure but for a single garage door was around 2.5k - is that about right ?? a double would be about 3.4k - good selection of colours and seriously tempted
 Garage door, recommendations? - sherlock47
With automation (and fitting)you should pay around £1200 in Home Counties North for a standard Hormann single width door in white.
>> With automation (and fitting)you should pay around £1200 in Home Counties North for a standard
>> Hormann single width door in white.
>>
A Hormann automated (Supramatic fast opening) insulated weatherproof sectional door in the colour chosen, with additional controls, fully fitted, with the old door removed from site £1500. As it is part of the house, is secure, and used for access, worth every penny.
 Garage door, recommendations? - Iffy
...fully fitted, with the old door removed from site £1500...

Remote controlled roller shutter, fully fitted etc, about £700 in the frozen north.

Coloured plastic gloss finish which doesn't look too much like the front shut down kebab shop.

Standards iffy, I don't want my house to look like a steel shuttered, run down, lock up shop.
Latest Forum Posts