Non-motoring > Your Best Xmas Pressie Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 37

Your Best Xmas Pressie - Zero
The Ordinance Survey Puzzle book!

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1409184676

Your Best Xmas Pressie - PeterS
That’s looks good - just purchased!

I’ve got a couple of tickets to Marc Almond in Paris next year. All good...except, the show is on March 30th, so we’ll need to leave the country on the 29th.... if that’s possible ;)
 Your Best Xmas Pressie - sooty123
Doesn't look like my cup of tea.

Talking about books for Christmas, I got the secret barrister. Got about half way through so far, very good.

A look into a world I knew absolutely nothing about.
 Your Best Xmas Pressie - No FM2R
2 Tickets for Comic-Con.

I know, I know, but #1 loves it and I rather enjoy it myself.
 Your Best Xmas Pressie - Bromptonaut
>> Talking about books for Christmas, I got the secret barrister. Got about half way through
>> so far, very good.

I got that book for my birthday so a week before Xmas. Starting from a different perspective in that I'm pretty familiar with the bar. Never though had anything to do with Criminal stuff as I spent my entire career in LCD/DCA/MoJ in civil and tribunal justice.

One of my former colleagues, a law grad, went to the bar after the Quango was abolished. The timing was incidental he'd always been working towards call.

What he tells of early days doing other people's returns etc rings very true with the SB's accounts.
What he tells of early days doing other people's returns etc rings very true with
>> the SB's accounts.
>>

Yes it was surprising how little each barrister knew about each case often only having time to read the case when actually in the court.

Makes you think how many people are getting away with it and how many innocent in prison. Quite worrying really.
 Your Best Xmas Pressie - CGNorwich
I too read the book a few months back. Well worth reading. If your finances put you in that very wide band between being quite poor and being very wealthy you will not qualify for legal aid and will be unable to afford proper representation in court you face a very uncertain future if you ever have to defend yourself in a criminal case. A national disgrace and scandal of which few are aware.
 Your Best Xmas Pressie - Manatee
In no particular order, from our children and both were surprises

- Adrian Newey's autobiography "How to Build a Car". Highly recommended, I read it in 2 days.

- Tickets to Steely Dan.
 Your Best Xmas Pressie - Roger.
Going to my sister-in-law's for Christmas lunch, so no cooking for me, unlike the previous two years when I did both Xmas and New Year (and a lot in-between, too) for our daughter and family in N.I.
 Your Best Xmas Pressie - Ambo
"Nora", by Brenda Maddox. Biography of the excitingly-named Nora Barnacle, model for Molly Bloom in the novel "Ulysses" by hubby, James Joyce.
 Your Best Xmas Pressie - zippy
Meccano robotic spider from mother in law!

iPhone XS Max 256gb from the Mrs.

Sennheiser wireless / noise cancelling headphones from the eldest.

Kermit, Miss Piggy and Animal character socks from the youngest (love wearing them to work when I am otherwise in a suit).
 Your Best Xmas Pressie - tyrednemotional
>>
>> - Tickets to Steely Dan.
>>

.....half-price?

;-)
Lets hope he hasn't lost that number
Kind of appropriate, you'll be travelling on Black Friday.
>> Kind of appropriate, you'll be travelling on Black Friday.

Is there more than one Black Friday?

It's a Monday in February. Appearing with Steve Winwood. Hope the traffic's not too bad.
>>Is there more than one Black Friday?

I'm completely confused and have lost the plot. Do ignore me, please.
 Your Best Xmas Pressie - tyrednemotional
>> Hope the traffic's not too bad.
>>

...well, if it is - don't be sad.....

>> .....half-price?
>>
>> ;-)

Only a Fool Would Say That:)

Shame about Walter though.
 Your Best Xmas Pressie - helicopter
Son bought me a subscription to the Ancestry website so I have spent most of today and yesterday putting in details to my family tree , currently back to 1872 when my paternal grandfather was born.

Before that it gets a bit more difficult .

Very time consuming making sure you have the correct names but interesting none the less, makes a change from the usual socks .
So he bought you a service where you have to do all the work?
Apparently the DNA tests/family tree are very popular in the US.

However they've left several hundred people asking awkward questions, like 'mum why do I only share 50% dna with my brother?'

Torn quite a few families apart, there was a long bbc article about it the other week.
 Your Best Xmas Pressie - Crankcase
Packet of chocolate bourbon biscuits and a James May book about engineers. Can't be bad!
 Your Best Xmas Pressie - Dog
I'll see yore biccies and Jimmy May's book with my Thorntons dark chocolate gingers and Michael Caine's Blowing the b***** Doors Orf.
 Your Best Xmas Pressie - Crankcase
Ah Dog, hope you had a messy Christmas. Sorry, everyone, a minor thread divert. Just a moment.

New entry to the BFI lineup I saw last night on Amazon Prime, and thought you might like. It's called "More", and it's a hippy druggy roadtrip movie shot in the late sixties. They shot it largely in real streets and cafes, so all the streets, background characters and so on are full of period detail, and the music, it proudly says is by "The Pink Floyd", which is a plus.

Wanders down through France to Ibiza - interesting to see those places as they were.

There's some sort of story too, but who cares. What could be better?

www.amazon.co.uk/More-Mimsy-Farmer/dp/B072FTWP6L
 Your Best Xmas Pressie - MD
A second hand drone from the south east.
I thought I'd seen that film Cc, but then I remembered I'd only actually heard the music score at some time or other.

Thanks for the heads up re the film though, although to watch it yoos have to sign up, which you probably have done anyway.

Bit of Pink Floyd on the wireless the other day: www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0001r7h
 Your Best Xmas Pressie - R.P.
www.amazon.co.uk/Bikers-Life-Misadventures-off-Wheels/dp/1787471047/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1545950109&sr=8-1&keywords=henry+cole+bikers+life

Not necessarily the best pressie (not been on the 40 min flight simulator yet)...but a damned good read.
Piece here on the More film (23 minutes) www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeOfenHWT_o
 Your Best Xmas Pressie - sherlock47
>> The Ordinance Survey Puzzle book!
>>
>> www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1409184676
>>
>>
>>

SNAP
 Your Best Xmas Pressie - legacylad
I treat myself to a €9 haircut last week. Normally I don’t have my haircut during the winter months but sod the expense, it’s Christmas! And it was ruddy hot in the Canaries.
Life on the edge. Again.
I've not had an 'air cut for 20 years .. I said to the ole woman only last week "think of all the money I've saved"

Yeah, she said .. but you've spent it on other things!

8-)
 Your Best Xmas Pressie - Dulwich Estate II
I got given a voucher to have a go in an airliner simulator - best ever present - can't wait.

Over and Out,

Biggles
 Your Best Xmas Pressie - sherlock47
Not sure what/where you have the voucher for....

But if you have a choice of Boeing go for the 737-200/300 not the 737-800. The 800 is all glass the older ones are proper aeroplanes.

A glass cockpit is more like having a simulator run on your multiscreen PC!

Thoroughly enjoyable 2 hours when I did it 5 years ago- take a couple of friends along with so that they can see what happens when you land on the grass.
 Your Best Xmas Pressie - bathtub tom
Had one of them a few years ago at Cranfield. It was a fixed simulator that could mimic many different aircraft from piston props to multi jets.
Instructor dialled in some turbulence and SWMBO (who witnessed it) still delights in recounting my startled cry as I felt it at the controls.
Too little time and I couldn't get it into my head that I had to fly the thing almost into the ground to land.
 Your Best Xmas Pressie - R.P.
Mine is awaiting as well !
 Your Best Xmas Pressie - Kevin
Ace present Dulwich, I'm jealous.

You'll have to change your name to Roger if you want to make career of it though.

In the 80s, a mate of mine was in the RAF and worked on the Harrier simulator they had at RAF Wildenrath in Germany, even though the only Harrier still there was a mock-up by the main gate. It was pretty basic compared to modern stuff but great fun. It was controlled by a PDP-11 and the "terrain" view was a huge table with a miniature model of West Germany on top and a video camera mounted above it on motorised runners.

I could take off in the Harrier but never managed a succesful landing.

A bit of history - The base knew the track and timings of every Soviet military satellite passing overhead. When one was due they would wheel out big propane burners and warm up parts of the taxiway to make it look like the base was more active than it actually was.
 Your Best Xmas Pressie - car4play
I remember that simulator too.
Because the map was on a loop roll you could take off, keep straight and then land back at the airfield.
The other prank they liked to do was to place a spider on the runway. Because everything was in miniature of course the spider appeared like some monster out of a King Kong movie and would terrify whoever was flying at the time!
 Your Best Xmas Pressie - DP
I did very well this year, but the one I'm most excited about is taking my daughter to see Professor Brian Cox in September.

Latest Forum Posts