Non-motoring > The chicken, the weight and the poisoning Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 25

The chicken, the weight and the poisoning - Crankcase
Picked up chicken from butcher this morning for tomorrow.

No weight marked on wrappings - we asked for 2kg-ish.

Butcher now closed.

My scales only go to 2kg and it's heavier. I have another set that only go to 1kg.

I'm guessing, but only guessing, it's not as much as 3kg.

So, any genius ideas for weighing it? How long should I cook the darned thing for?

The chicken, the weight and the poisoning - smokie
Get some bags of sugar or other stuff of known weights (jars/tins of food) and rig up a set of scales. Doesn't need to be that accurate I'd have thought.

No idea on the cooking time though...

EDIT: I probably mean a balance weigher. Not sure of the term. Known weight on one side, bird on the other.
Last edited by: smokie on Mon 24 Dec 18 at 14:12
 The chicken, the weight and the poisoning - Rudedog
Easy if you have a set of bathroom scales.

Weigh yourself.

Then weigh yourself + chicken.

Subtract first from second.
Well, genius suggestions for the slow of thinking here today, thank you.

I did the bathroom scales thing, which promptly worked out the chicken weighs 1.9 kg. Marvellous.

A little running about in circles later, and Mrs C finds a bit of paper from the butcher with 2.2kg written on it. If it's wrong, this will be my last post, obviously.

As you were.

The chicken, the weight and the poisoning - Stuartli
>>Subtract first from second.>>

But what if you are 20st yourself? :-) :-)
 The chicken, the weight and the poisoning - Manatee
You can weigh it on 2 scales and add the results together, if the loads are all vertical (therefore equal and opposite). E.g. get the load pads level, stick a flat board across them (zero the scales if they are both electronic or moving scale), put the chicken on and weigh the lot.

Bathroom scales is a good idea but even electronic ones might not have sufficient resolution. Mine weighs in 200g steps.
 The chicken, the weight and the poisoning - No FM2R
No bathroom scales?
 The chicken, the weight and the poisoning - Zero
Meat thermometer?
 The chicken, the weight and the poisoning - Manatee
Any way it's only a guide. If it goes the right colour, and the juices run clear when you stab it in the thigh with a skewer, it's fine.

And you should let it rest for half an hour before carving (cover in foil and it will stay hot) during which time the core temperature rises a bit more.

If you have a meat thermometer, chicken needs to get to 75% inside.
 The chicken, the weight and the poisoning - CGNorwich
When cooked test by moving leg(of chicken). If cooked it will be loose and easily detached.
 The chicken, the weight and the poisoning - Clk Sec
>>(of chicken)

Well deserved Green thumb for that, CGN.
 The chicken, the weight and the poisoning - MD
Another sure fire method is to go out for lunch. Given the cost of entertaining ungrateful relatives a £30.00 munch each 'may' work out cheaper. Only here to help:-)
 The chicken, the weight and the poisoning - Haywain
"When cooked test by moving leg(of chicken). If cooked it will be loose and easily detached"

If not cooked, it will shout 'Oi, what do you think you're playing at???'
 The chicken, the weight and the poisoning - Runfer D'Hills
If it's your turn to host Christmas, it's always a good idea to go out and entertain them to lunch somewhere. Sure it's more expensive, but at least they don't stay for 12 freaking hours...
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Mon 24 Dec 18 at 20:57
 The chicken, the weight and the poisoning - tyrednemotional
....especially if it's Wetherspoons.......
 The chicken, the weight and the poisoning - Bromptonaut
Weight is just a guide as to how long to leave it before checking. Definitive answer is meat thermometer, juices or pulling the bird's leg......
If the leg comes off, its overdone.
 The chicken, the weight and the poisoning - legacylad
My medium hot chicken jalfrezi ( with 3 chappatis) at the Royal Spice this afternoon won’t have a leg. Blueberry pancakes next for breakfast then off to the gym to work up a lunchtime thirst

Merry Christmas one and all
 The chicken, the weight and the poisoning - tyrednemotional
>> then off to the gym to work up a lunchtime thirst
>>

...and then later, will you also be legless?........

;-)
Made me smile.....sensible lunchtime drinking with several good friends in a couple of local pubs. A quiet evening in front of my roaring Morso stove with a good book beckons. Luxury.
 The chicken, the weight and the poisoning - sooty123
There's gyms open on Christmas Day? I live and learn, I thought they'd all be shut. Is it likely to be busy?
Gym? Who needs them

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/46566122

Camille Herron: US ultrarunner who breaks world records fuelled on tacos and beer
Card entry, so open 365, 24/7. Quite busy with unsociables a la LL escaping Xmas frippery.
Only £20 pcm fee so like to get my monies worth
 The chicken, the weight and the poisoning - sooty123
>> Card entry, so open 365, 24/7. Quite busy with unsociables a la LL escaping Xmas
>> frippery.
>> Only £20 pcm fee so like to get my monies worth
>>

Ah right makes sense now.
>> If the leg comes off, its overdone.

If the leg crumbles in your hand, its really overdone.
Chicken is in. This all reminds me of the man who bred three legged chickens, because he liked a leg, his wife liked a leg, and his son liked a leg. When someone asked what they tasted like, he said he didn't know as he'd never been able to catch one to find out.

Latest Forum Posts