Non-motoring > Possibly weather issues at Airport Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 12

Possibly weather issues at Airport - MD
Could the more seasoned traveller enlighten me please?

Despite having been at the same location more than twenty times, one where wind is a huge factor, I have never experienced an issue landing or taking off. However, if one can’t get back at the allotted time due to adverse weather conditions what is the usual insurance standpoint regarding accommodation etc. I have the policy somewhere, but I thought I’d ask anyway.

Regards, MD.
 Possibly weather issues at Airport - Bromptonaut
Can you be more specific about issue ie which airport?

Worst major airports in UK for wind are Leeds and possibly Bristol. Diversion is usually Manchester, Liverpool or Doncaster/Sheffield for Leeds and Cardiff for Bristol. Worst case is last leg by coach. AIUI it's up to airline to put you up/get you home but presumbly no EU compo as weather is outwith their control.
 Possibly weather issues at Airport - CGNorwich
Madeira - MD’s favourite winter haunt I believe.

Delay will usually be covered providing it exceeds so many hours, typically 12. He needs to make the effort to check his policy though. Will vary from Insurer to Insurer.
 Possibly weather issues at Airport - Zero
The Wind at Madeira airport is sooooo evil the locals park up on the nearby mountain road to watch the antics of the planes trying to land.

And I suspect thats the problem, not that they cant get off, the incoming flight never landed.
 Possibly weather issues at Airport - No FM2R
Not really able to help because it entirely depends on the policy you have.

Typically you'd be covered for expenses once the flight was delayed by more than x hours. But even then you need to know the specific areas which are covered, and up to what value. Also what level of receipts, authorisations and/or supporting evidence you would need.

But it is usually just out of pocket expenses, nothing for annoyance or inconvenience.

So, you need to look at your own policy and schedule, I'm afraid.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 22 Dec 18 at 19:32
 Possibly weather issues at Airport - CGNorwich
At least our advice is consistent!
 Possibly weather issues at Airport - smokie
My outbound flight from Gatwick with Easyjet was delayed about 3 hours and I was given a food and drink voucher to spend at the airport, £3 IIRC which was only a down-payment on a sandwich and drink rather than buying it outright.

I believe there are IATA rules which depend on whether your flight is inside/outside/into/out of the EU, which say that if your ARRIVAL is more than 4 hours late they have to pay you compensation - a few hundred Euros, depending on which flavour of trip you are doing. Seems to me they pull out all the stops to avoid paying that. I though I'd come close a year or so back flying to Egypt but the flight time was considerably shorter than the published time so we were well within the four hours, despite being nearly 4 hours lat leaving.
 Possibly weather issues at Airport - bathtub tom
As you flew from a European airport, you're entitled to compensation if the flight is delayed by more than three hours. I'm presuming the flight was less than 1500Km. That three hours is to when the wheels touch down at your destination airport.
Google european flight delay compensation for full details.
There is a website that tells you which flights fall into the compensation category.
 Possibly weather issues at Airport - neiltoo
There is a difference between delays caused by events outside the airline's control, and others.
Ryanair are being pressed to pay the EU compensation for delays caused by aircrew strike action.

For weather delays, for instance, the airline has to get you to your destination, paying for limited meals and overnight accomodation if necessary, but not compensation.

Several years ago, this happened to us when all UK airports were snowed in. Easyjet put us up for one night in what was like a reception centre for asylum seekers at Malaga. There was a further delay of three days for which they would carry on the hotel stay. Knowing the area well, we asked if they would give us the cost o f their hotel, and let us put that against a hotel we knew and liked. No deal.

We went independant anyway, but no complaints against Easyjet. Conditions were far outside their control.

Possibly weather issues at Airport - MD
Madeira.

We were due back today, but as we had checked the weather on Saturday, followed by a heads up from Easy-Jet, both regarding high winds, we elected (after my initial post) to get off of the island asap. It was by chance that there was a flight on Saturday and we accomplished that very quickly.

I had the initial panic because I have never experienced too much inconvenience before in this department. Since speaking to other folk who frequent the island, I understand that they have had all sorts of traumas regarding weather interruptions etc. We must be lucky because in 21 trips we have only been inconvenienced by a work to rule.

Anyway to sum up. The island is as great, safe and pleasant as ever. Easy-Jet to date cannot be faulted (and I do like a moan now and then).

Thanks for all replies. MD.
 Possibly weather issues at Airport - helicopter
Madeira airport is well known for the problems with wind shear off the mountains and the runway used to be considerably shorter than it is now making landing even more difficult.

youtu.be/ofH-_K-lsqc
 Possibly weather issues at Airport - legacylad
It was noticeably much windier on Tenerife Sunday. Didn’t affect my afternoon Jet2 flight...wish I was there now, lazing on the beach dipping in and out of the sea.
 Possibly weather issues at Airport - Dog
Calima: www.janetanscombe.com/news/winter-2018-19-weather.html

www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/espana/canarias/santa-cruz-de-tenerife/playa-las-vistas.html
Latest Forum Posts