Non-motoring > Subwoofer bust Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 13

Subwoofer bust - smokie
I usually use the TV surround sound system (with remote sub) for the party music on New Year's Eve.

For logistical reasons I have to leave it by the telly this year so I thought I'd use my old Sirocco Crossfire speakers which have been attached to my PC since about 2000, but not used in earnest for quite some years.

It has 4 satellite speakers and a sub, and was really powerful system (and wasn't cheap!).

However the sub is faulty. It is crackling badly. I've been through some of the fault finding and repair stuff on the internet, and will continue looking, but I was just wondering if a replacement speaker would work. For instance this car one for £30 www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pyle-PLPW10D-10-Inch-1000w-Car-Audio-Subwoofer-Driver-Sub-Bass-Speaker-Woofer/372533317764?hash=item56bcb75084:g:u4QAAOSwfhlcDjBg:rk:29:pf:0

I'm not looking for perfection, rather it has to be loud - not deafeningly so but loud enough to create a dance atmosphere.

(I'll probably end up working out a way to move the TV set)
 Subwoofer bust - Zero
depends on whats causing the crackling, speaker or amp. (you have cleaned all the connectors from amp to speaker? yes?)

The glue in speaker coils tends to degrade, causing vibrational buzzing, and of course potentiometers* and capacitors in amps degrade

*exercise them with multiple operational wipes.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 20 Dec 18 at 17:26
 Subwoofer bust - smokie
I'm pretty sure it's the speaker. There's a back bit which looks a bit like corrugated card then the front bit which moves in and out, so I guess that makes it an active speakers.

Crackle might not be the best way to describe it: on bass notes it just sounds almost like it's hitting something, and the sound is definitely related exactly on the loudest beats. I can stop it by turning the bass right down, and there isn't any interference on changing volume etc.

So if it can't be fixed, would a cheapo car type speaker work OK, assuming it fits the cabinet? Anything special I need to be looking for? (Are ohms important, as I'm not yet sure how many it is!!?)
 Subwoofer bust - Zero
The hitting something sound will be the detached coil and or the cone braid wires.

Ohms are likely to be there or thereabouts on the new one 2, 4 or 8 will be fine.

Mounting points or fixings will be the issue.
 Subwoofer bust - sherlock47
Before shelling out on a new (expensive) subwoofer try to determine if it is cable or amp related.

Temporarily replace the suspect woofer with ANY ordinary speaker to check no crackles. If the crackles persist, and you have cleaned up the pots (with multiple rotations and brute force), checked all plugs and sockets and any audio switches in the woofer unit, you could do worse than use a freezer spray on individual components - start on electrolytic capacitors followed by resistors.

Best of luck. At least it is not an intermittent problem yet :)
 Subwoofer bust - Kevin
The Sirocco used Audax drivers with a 6.5" unit in the sub.

www.anandtech.com/show/486

You should be able to get a direct replacement online.
 Subwoofer bust - smokie
Thanks all.

When you say a direct replacement, do you mean exact same brand? The ones I've found are more than I really want to pay for a pretty much unused system. Something £20 - £30 might do though

When you say clean the pots, where would I find them? And what do you mean multiple rotations?

Sorry, I know nothing about speakers... obviously!!

EDIT:... amongst other things, before someone else says it!! :-)
Last edited by: smokie on Thu 20 Dec 18 at 20:14
 Subwoofer bust - Zero

>> When you say clean the pots, where would I find them? And what do you
>> mean multiple rotations?
>>
>> Sorry, I know nothing about speakers... obviously!!

On the amp, volume, balance base controls, they are potentiometers, they get dirty and crackle and hiss, so you need to work them vigorously on their full movement to clean them

Sounds like a dislodged coil on the speaker tho. you'll need on the same diameter as the old one

Subwoofer bust - smokie
Well it's 6.5" speaker and there are a few online but the actual brand is expensive and probably not obtainable before NYE.

Would one of the cheapos work?

I am almost sure it is going to be the dislodged coil, if the choice is between that and the pots. Is that not repairable? (I don't think I saw it when I had it apart so it would require some dismantling...)
 Subwoofer bust - Zero
yes a 6.5"cheapo will work if you are just after a party boom box.
 Subwoofer bust - smokie
Ta - ordered one from CPC
 Subwoofer bust - Kevin
>When you say a direct replacement, do you mean exact same brand?

Yes.

There should be a sticker/label on the rear of the actual driver, (speaker itself so you'll need to open the enclosure), that shows it's part number. Google "Audax [part no.]" and you should find a supplier of the exact same driver or a later Audax equivalent.
Last edited by: Kevin on Thu 20 Dec 18 at 20:53
 Subwoofer bust - smokie
The new speaker arrived today, easily fitted (which was a bit of a bodge as the spade connections are a different size) but it sounds just fine.

Ta for the advice all.

NB the parcel came with UPS. I thought it was a bit heavy for one speaker, but they had included their paper catalogue, which at 2.2kg is significantly heavier than the 950g speaker!! Think I'll wrap it up for SWMBO... :-)
 NiMH HR-AAUV - bathtub tom
My re-chargeable Braun shaver was needing charging every couple of days, so I decided to dismantle it and replace the battery. The tight so-and-sos only fit one battery in a compartment obviously designed for two. Took me some time to figure out how to remove the battery, as it's stuck in with double sided tape!
The battery's an AA NiMH 1650mAH with little points on each terminal. The only direct replacements I could find were in the USA and they don't ship to GB.
Ordered an equivalent with flat terminals, but considering getting a couple of cheaper, lower capacity ones with solder tags and fitting them.
Braun don't list the battery as a customer replaceable part.
Latest Forum Posts