Non-motoring > Sometimes - stuff goes right Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 14

Sometimes - stuff goes right - Zero
This is possibly the best train vid I have shot from most perspectives.

The light was perfect and in the right direction and right angle, the temperature & humidity for steam propagation was perfect, as was the light wind and direction. The backdrop was perfect and in proportion, and someone even lit a bonfire 15 minutes before the arrival and temperature inversion kept it low across the track like mist. Little or no wind, and a sound funnel made audio a peach.

The track gradient was perfect, enough to make the loco work -hardish, not too much to need diesel assistance, clear signals, out of a water stop so regulator open to make up time.

This is a cracker.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=oapPaa0uEgE
 Sometimes - stuff goes right - Manatee
Well done. You are obviously well chuffed.
 Sometimes - stuff goes right - Dog
Dirty polluting things, should be banned IMO.

:o)
 Sometimes - stuff goes right - VxFan
Looks like the DPF is going through a regen.
 Sometimes - stuff goes right - No FM2R
How did steam trains get up such hills before diesel assistance was available?
 Sometimes - stuff goes right - Bromptonaut
>> How did steam trains get up such hills before diesel assistance was available?

Double heading or a banker pushing from behind? Lots of vids on you tube etc of banking locomotives on the Lickey Incline (steepest sustained main line gradient in UK).
>> >> How did steam trains get up such hills before diesel assistance was available?
>>
>> Double heading or a banker pushing from behind? Lots of vids on you tube etc
>> of banking locomotives on the Lickey Incline (steepest sustained main line gradient in UK).

See power factor notes below. The lickey is unique in the UK, a gradient so steep, diesel double heading on freight is still often needed. Bromsgrove at the bottom, had a large railway yard, with bankers and crew constantly in steam, often leaping out behind trains, hitting them up the back on the run and falling off the back at the summit

Even the 9f needed banking on a full coal train.
>> How did steam trains get up such hills before diesel assistance was available?

its always been a problem. Sometimes they didn't, often they had to roll back down and take another run at it. The cure was mostly careful matching of loco power against weight. Locos had power ratings for traffic types. Most powerful steam loco on the UK main line at the moment is an 8P7F

Power factor 8 for passenger, 7 freight, can take 11 or 12 passenger coaches at 75 mph. The one yesterday was a 5MT Power factor 5 mixed traffic. Should have had 8 max coaches on, often only ran with 6 or 7. It had 11 on and pulling the dead diesel yesterday.

Most powerful loco built in the uk was the 9F Three still survive and in steam, but not allowed on the mainline, as its too long with too many driving wheels. And the hammer blow from the pistons through the wheels would crack the high tensile continuously welded steel rail now in widespread use.

Locos have another factor RA - route availability. Routes are graded by width and max weight. The big 7/8's are limited to a route availability of 7 - mostly freight rated lines.
 Sometimes - stuff goes right - nice but dim
Looks good Z, can't get over the steam cloud. Wouldnt like to be driving over that bridge as it passed.

What was the need for diesel backup?

I'm not a steam fan, much prefer diesel but having seen one by chance pulling out of Sheffield station a couple of years ago, it was certainly a spectacle and loved by me and daughter.

I'm going to miss the pacer here (Yorkshire) with the mighty Cummins diesel engines due to be retired this year coming.
>> Looks good Z, can't get over the steam cloud. Wouldnt like to be driving over
>> that bridge as it passed.
>>
>> What was the need for diesel backup?

Several reasons. Insurance in case the steam loco gets stuck. Extra motive power if late or underpowered. Electric power for the coaches, Electric heat for the coaches if they are not steam heated, Shunting - turntables no longer exist out in the real world, the stock will need to be turned on a triangle and or hauled backwards out of the terminus station. You take your tug with you
 Sometimes - stuff goes right - Mapmaker
I've given you your .7 of a cent by watching it.

Incidentally, I caught the train from York to London last weekend as was astonished to be on an Intercity 125, class 43. They're much nicer stock (the Mk iii carriages), roomy and airy as they're not designed to tilt, but I had no idea they were still in service - as Wikipedia tells me they are.
Last edited by: Mapmaker on Tue 18 Dec 18 at 16:45
>> I've given you your .7 of a cent by watching it.

I'm now averaging .1p per view. £1 per thousand.
And here we go, here is todays loco, A rebuilt Merchant Navy pacific, rated at 8P hauling 12 at its maximum permitted speed up the fast line - allowed out with no diesel support.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjRr6rUi-20
 Sometimes - stuff goes right - legacylad
When home in a few days I’ll check to see if there are any steamers operating on the Settle- Carlisle line in the next few weeks. Settle station is only a short walk from Casa LL, and the footbridge looking North offers splendid views up the Ribble valley with Pen Y Gent and other limestone fells. Ribblehead viaduct is only a 25 min drive and a great viewing spot with Ingleborough as the backdrop.....I have a large framed print, the photo taken by a now deceased friend, of a double headed steamer heading N over Ribblehead viaduct with a snow capped Ingleborough in the background. Fabulous photo and a lovely reminder of a good friend.
Last edited by: legacylad on Thu 20 Dec 18 at 19:36
Scotsman is over it on Saturday, then nothing till 26th Jan
Latest Forum Posts