Non-motoring > What's the opposite of a movement sensor? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 14

What's the opposite of a movement sensor? - Crankcase
Scenario: we are trying to keep aged mother in her house as long as possible. We already have some Nest cameras in there, all downstairs (for her privacy), to keep an eye on her as she goes about her day. All good.

I'd like to achieve something such that if she DOESN'T get up out of her bedroom (ie something in the upstairs hallway) by a certain time, I get an alert, whether email or on my phone. It's the opposite of a movement alarm - alert me if no movement has been seen in a certain number of hours.

There are millions of ways to skin cats - anyone got any ideas? I don't want to be building things with Arduinos or anything, I want a commercial product ideally, but can't get my Googling brain in gear to track down this kind of thing, if it exists.

What's the opposite of a movement sensor? - R.P.
Wouldn't a movement sensor linked to Nest fit the bill. I.e. a positive message/alert that's she's actually moved past the sensor...?
 What's the opposite of a movement sensor? - tyrednemotional
...this:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Proteus-M5-WiFi-Motion-Sensor-with-email-text-alerts/202287838268

reputedly has the capability to do exactly what you describe (and, as it has, I suspect there will be other, similar products).

Mixed reviews, though

proteussensor.com/wi-fi-motion-sensor.html

If you can stand the "traffic", the positive alert described elsewhere might be more reliable.
 What's the opposite of a movement sensor? - smokie
The technology must be there.

My first thought is a home automation attached PIR (maybe this one? www.amazon.co.uk/Kits-Sonoff-Infrared-Control-Android/dp/B079D5RZ4T ) has to have a role, especailly if you are trying to avoid using cameras (for privacy).

You can use IFTTT, MacDroid or Tasker on your Android to deliver alerts based on a a certain event but I'm not sure how you'd do it for a non-event!

Or maybe you could send a photo to an email address every x minutes then programmatically compare the photo electronically to previous ones or a reference one (use checksum) and if it is the same photo for xx hours or whatever then send an alert.

The problem is that the checksum would vary even with differences in light. Also sounds a bit clunky really...

Interesting one, I'll think a bit more about it...

EDIT oh well, I was a bit slow typing :-)
Last edited by: smokie on Thu 13 Dec 18 at 18:47
The Nest stuff already alerts me when it sees her. More importantly, it offers "unfamiliar face" alerts, so if some dubious character pops up in her lounge I would know about it.

Another Nest type alert from upstairs would get lost. I'd be better with a different sort of "emergency" alert I think, that only fires in the circs I mentioned.

I'm not really up for programming software to compare pictures!

Ah, now that Proteus thing sounds promising perhaps. Thanks tyrednemotional. You're right, it says about detection of non-movement

"This is a unique feature with programmable time settings and scheduler."

If they really mean unique there's no point in me looking anywhere else...
Last edited by: Crankcase on Thu 13 Dec 18 at 18:58
 What's the opposite of a movement sensor? - tyrednemotional
...I very much doubt it is unique. A quick further search reveals an offering by Bracknell Forest Council which appears to have similar function:

www.bracknell-forest.gov.uk/health-and-social-care/forestcare/range-sensors/wireless-pir-motion-detector
 What's the opposite of a movement sensor? - Bobby
or get a different camera with a different app for upstairs?

I use a yi camera - it sends alerts (if you want) when it senses movement. So no alerts means no movement....
 What's the opposite of a movement sensor? - Zero

>> If they really mean unique there's no point in me looking anywhere else...

Unique, a term that has suffered form inflation.
 What's the opposite of a movement sensor? - MD
ro?
 What's the opposite of a movement sensor? - Zero
>> ro?

tpyo
 What's the opposite of a movement sensor? - Cliff Pope
>>
>>
>> I'd like to achieve something such that if she DOESN'T get up out of her
>> bedroom (ie something in the upstairs hallway) by a certain time, I get an alert,

An alarm clock whose setting is cancelled by a movement sensor?

Or one of those timers that turn on valves for watering plants when you are away. At a certain time it would make the circuit, unless broken beforehand by a movement sensor activating a relay switch.
 What's the opposite of a movement sensor? - henry k
We had 20 or so sensors fitted in the house for a six month experimental trial to assess additional automated monitoring of folks with memory and or health problems.
Some devices were to register not just movement in, around and leaving the house.
Others were to register use of things like the bathroom or the box/drawer where medication was kept.
The next six month trial is expected early next year, I will inquire if they have or are aware of any such products .
>> I will inquire if they
>> have or are aware of any such products .

That would be very good of you Henry, if it comes up in your conversations. Thank you.
 What's the opposite of a movement sensor? - Mapmaker
>>Scenario: we are trying to keep aged mother in her house as long as possible.

What about instead trying to getting her into a retirement flat as soon as possible. It will keep her out of a care home for longer, and it is all set up with sensors such as that which you desire.
Hadn't thought about water sensor timer things I must admit. Might have a play around with some ideas there, thanks.

I'm tempted by the product upthread that is supposed to do exactly what I want, but put off by the reviews saying it flat out doesn't work, or is unreliable. I'll probably end up risking it for £100 though, got to be worth a try. If I do, I'll update with success/failure. Wont be till after Christmas.

As to the retirement flat thing, thanks Mapmaker, but it's too late for that. Any move now would have to be the last one (she's 91 with failing eyes, ears and memory). Her little network of family helpers etc keeps her there, and she's fine with that, with the aid of a bit of tech as described. But really it's just postponing the inevitable as long as possible. One major fall or other similar issue and we're done, I guess, and off we go to a million quid a week care home.
Latest Forum Posts