Non-motoring > The Worse thing about getting old? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 140

The Worse thing about getting old? - Zero
Is, without doubt, having to take a cardboard stick and smear your poo into the biannual bowel cancer screening test card.

Not once, but 6 times over three days.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 2 Dec 18 at 13:34
 The Worse thing about getting old? - sooty123
Thanks for taking the time to share that with us. No really, thanks.
 The Worse thing about getting old? - CGNorwich
Not quite as bad as having bowel cancer though from which my younger brother died.
 The Worse thing about getting old? - maltrap
Think yourself lucky that you're on the receiving end, opening and testing your sample!

(Start singing "Always look on the bright side of life")

Merry Xmas
>> Think yourself lucky that you're on the receiving end, opening and testing your sample!

Just shut the last little door, mine are dated 1st, 2nd, 3rd December, hope they don't think its an advent calendar and give it to the kids.
 The Worse thing about getting old? - bathtub tom
I thought things had moved on from there.

Yes, here you are: www.bowelcanceruk.org.uk/news-and-blogs/campaigns-and-policy-blog/bowel-cancer-screening-in-england/

And: In England we plan to implement FIT in April 2018.

Perhaps you've upset someone in your local NHS?
Stuffing your poo into a test tube is more pleasant?
 The Worse thing about getting old? - Old Navy
The new kit we have is much easier to use, only one sample required.

www.bowelcanceruk.org.uk/news-and-blogs/news/scotland-have-replaced-their-bowel-cancer-screening-test/
 The Worse thing about getting old? - Lygonos
I presume England will catch up.

And is wiping some scat on a card such a hassle to dodge shi**ng in a plastic bag for the rest of your possibly miserable life?

Last edited by: Lygonos on Sun 2 Dec 18 at 16:49
 The Worse thing about getting old? - neiltoo
........ plastic bag for the rest of your possibly miserable life?

Actually, I've been doing this since 1990 (about this time of year - happy birthday stoma!) and apart from the occasional accident, on the whole, it's a lot better than ulcerative colitis.
(or any other serious problem in that area.
A positive mental attitude helps.)

8o)
Last edited by: neiltoo on Mon 3 Dec 18 at 15:45
 The Worse thing about getting old? - Dog
>>I've been doing this since 1990 (about this time of year - happy birthday stoma!)

I've been thinking about this post on-and-orf all week. Sorry to hear about it ole son, tis one thing that really gives me the,um, willies and I wouldn't have your positive mental attitude to be able to deal with it (or want to) if it was me.

My sisters boy had 'a bag' when he was in his late 30's 25 years ago due to ulcerative colitis, but it was only temporary. They removed part of his colon, stitched the 2 ends together, and eventually removed 'the bag'.

He is over 60 now and still drawing breath but just has to be careful what he eats, He recently had a Russian woman after him his money, told him how much she loves him, and that he is the greatest thing since oven chips etc. etc. but, he might be old (ish), but he's not an old fool.

:o)
Thanks for the sympathy, but it's not necessary. The only downside is an inability to fart!

Your nephew was unlucky. In my case, I went from spending 90% of my time in the bathroom, to being back on my feet 6 days after the operation, with the docs saying get back to your normal diet. My ulceration was so extensive that a reconnection was not possible.

I talk about it frequently, principally to push people into being seriously concerned by unusual bowel habits. Get it checked out!

And the test kits are no big deal - though I don't qualify for them now
Interesting item on the subject I saw the other day on the BBC site

www.bbc.co.uk/news/disability-46426300
 The Worse thing about getting old? - Fullchat
Thank you for your openness Neiltoo.

i have a brother with ulcerative colitis who has had a reversal and a daughter in her early 20s with Crohns. Colitis has also impacted on my father's brother's side quite dramatically. 2 out of 3 male cousins.

It is not something that is generally discussed openly until you happen to mention the subject and its impact. Then people will open up. Its more widespread than you perhaps think.
 The Worse thing about getting old? - henry k
>> Stuffing your poo into a test tube is more pleasant?
>>
I thought the test tube was just for transporting :-)
 The Worse thing about getting old? - sherlock47
Now you are practiced at it, give this a try?

motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/3dk5w9/a-guide-to-do-it-yourself-fecal-transplants-thanks-youtube

i have left the link in full so the faint hearted can see what they are getting themselves into :)

The Worse thing about getting old? - Haywain
"Is, without doubt, ........"

Oh dear, Zeddo, you Bremainials are such wimps I've just got back from cleaning up my father (93); he is immobile, incontinent, and has a Lactulose habit.
 The Worse thing about getting old? - legacylad
I’ve done that test twice now. A piece of p**s. I mean number two’s.
Compared to wild camping, getting out of a tiny tent at 7AM with an orange plastic trowel to go and dig a hole then poo in a Scottish wilderness in pouring rain making sure you don’t fill your own breeks it’s a walk in the park.
Of such actions I am most erudite
 The Worse thing about getting old? - R.P.
I have a remarkable system. Works on demand only when dangled over Armitage Shanks' finest.
"Of such actions I am most erudite"

Now that you've got it to a fine art, try o/d-ing on Lactulose next time - two days before you set off with the tent.

;-)
Thanks for the invite, but I’ll pass on that ( not a bad pun wotcha think ?)
After severe episodes in the greater Ranges, both Andes and Himalaya, whilst on jolly jaunts with friends, personal experience tells me that it is an awful thing when away from proper sanitation.
I now always carry Imodium in my first aid kit, together with a nail brush and a bar of soap. I would be happy to hear of better things to use in maintaining personal hygiene whilst out in the wilds.
 The Worse thing about getting old? - Fullchat
".......together with a nail brush and a bar of soap. I would be happy to hear of better things to use in maintaining personal hygiene whilst out in the wilds. "

Ooooooch! I still prefer some sort of tissue :)
 The Worse thing about getting old? - Cliff Pope
It seems I'll be due my second biannual test next year (Wales).
The first was a waste of time. I sent off the sample but some weeks later got a letter back saying that as they didn't know my address they had been unable to process the test.
 The Worse thing about getting old? - Crankcase
I'm 57 but never been offered a test. I guess Cambridgeshire can't afford it.
I'm 66 and have had quite a phew! of these 'ere crap letters - I throws 'em in the bin.

Same with the PSA thingy. I don't do flu jabs either.

Russian roulette anybuddy?

PSA testing isn't routine screening.

Main problem with screening is 'false positives' - of 100 scopes done as a result of positive jobby tests only 5-10% demonstrate cancer. About 30% have some other pathology such as a polyp, haemorrhoid, or wonky blood vessel.

About 60-65% have no obvious cause.

Whether the new FIT test improves on this I don't know.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Mon 3 Dec 18 at 09:24
>>PSA testing isn't routine screening.

Memory-problem alert! - I meant the 'invitation' to have an ultrasound scan of my aorta :o)
>> ..... 'invitation' to have an ultrasound scan of my aorta
>>
i had my first one several decades ago - a research project.
By coincidence I has another two this year, one for a research project and the other one a screening event at my GPs.
I was told "You are OK and do not need another one for the rest of life" so that box is ticked. :-)

>> I was told "You are OK and do not need another one for the
>> rest of life" so that box is ticked. :-)

They could be writing you off?
>> They could be writing you off?
>>
I was happy with my results, now perhaps I should inquire before ordering Christmas fare ?
>> >> They could be writing you off?
>> >>
>> I was happy with my results, now perhaps I should inquire before ordering Christmas fare

I think you have a bit longer than that, tho my dog would be happy to take care of the turkey.
Thank you kindly Dr Zero sir and I wish you and your dog,, as we are being encouraged to say " Seasonal Greetings"
>> i had my first one several decades ago - a research project.

4 peops close to me had aortic aneurisms, bruv, uncle, and 2 very close friends.

3 ovvem died when the aneurisms ruptured, the other one (Laurie the leather craftsman) had his repaired,
but he died just 2 years later from prostate cancer.
 Serious post... - Manatee

>> 4 peops close to me had aortic aneurisms, bruv, uncle, and 2 very close friends.
>>
>> 3 ovvem died when the aneurisms ruptured, the other one (Laurie the leather craftsman) had
>> his repaired,
>> but he died just 2 years later from prostate cancer.

Because I turned 65 last year, I was invited to have a AAA screening test. It's actually an ultrasound scan and unlike the poo test it shows immediately whether you have a problem or not.

I don't have an abdominal aortic aneurysm as it happens. But they have only been testing men at 65 for the last 5 years (in England anyway, don't know about other bits of the UK). So anybody over 70 is unlikely to have been offered one. However they can have one on request, as can any man 66 or over if they haven't had one.

Worth doing I think, because if you have an undetected one and it pops, you are a dead 'un, there and then, in most cases.

What fascinated me is how enormous the abdominal aorta is. Normal width is 2-3cm. >3cm should be monitored very 2 years, >4.4cm<5.5cm every 3 months, and 5,5cm qualifies for a pre-emptive repair.
 Serious post... - henry k
>>Worth doing I think, because if you have an undetected one and it pops, you are a dead 'un, there and then, in most cases.
>>
I agree, however... a motoring link so some food for thought.
www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3692211/It-s-ticking-timebomb-kill-men-moment-thousands-skipping-free-screening-save-lives.html.

I had some scans many years ago as part of a trial.
Recently I had another couple, one as part of a trial and the other one at a session at my GPs.
The scanners came to the GPs from elsewhere.
I was told all is good so no need to be ever tested again.
A nearby neighbour survived one and lived for another 10 years or more before it popped again.
 Serious post... - Duncan
>> >>Worth doing I think, because if you have an undetected one and it pops, you
>> are a dead 'un, there and then, in most cases.
>> >>
>> I agree, however... a motoring link so some food for thought.
>> www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3692211/It-s-ticking-timebomb-kill-men-moment-thousands-skipping-free-screening-save-lives.html.

Link to find your local screening service centre:-

tinyurl.com/y7a4sben
 Serious post... - henry k
>>Link to find your local screening service centre:-
>>tinyurl.com/y7a4sben
Thanks for that.
I will pass that info on.

Serious post... - Duncan
Just taken the advice.

Screening booked for March 7th.
 Serious post... - Dog
>>What fascinated me is how enormous the abdominal aorta is.

More like a pipe than an artery :)

>>if you have an undetected one and it pops, you are a dead 'un, there and then, in most cases.

Um nice way to go though - quick and without suffering. They can leak too BTW. Becoming pale and sweaty with very low blood pressure is usually a sure sign of that.

The Worse thing about getting old? - Clk Sec
I've never taken up their offer, despite several opportunities. Perhaps l'll bite the bullet next time.

I think Duncan has staff to do it for him
 The Worse thing about getting old? - Falkirk Bairn
I can assure everyone that the Bowel Screening should be on your list of things to do. Caught early you have a 90+% chance of seeing 10 years - I was at the other end of the scale with around <5% chance of seeing 10 years

8.5 years ago I was diagnosed with late stage BC.
Operation, 3 months later followed by 6 months of gruelling Chemo.

Drip - once every 3 weeks
Tablets Daily Dosage
8-12 Cancer tablets, circa 28 other tablets & say 6-12 Imodium (virtual corks)

I still suffer after effects BUT I am the last man standing out of
6 of us with BC who were operated on in the same week & went through Chemo together - all the rest have passed away - one chap lasted less than a month after his operation.

I have 3 growths on my liver & was on a 12-24 mth outlook when I started treatment.
Here I am 8.5 years later - admittedly not near 100% for my age.

I now have 6 grandchildren - all of whom know me well.
8 years ago I had 4 grandchildren but they would not have remembered me as they were so young.
 The Worse thing about getting old? - Ambo
Thanks to Zero, I have at last found out what Pooh Sticks are.
>> Thanks to Zero, I have at last found out what Pooh Sticks are.
>>
But not to be disposed of in the river !
 The Worse thing about getting old? - VxFan
>> But not to be disposed of in the river !

Why? All manner of other bottom effluent is discharged into rivers and the sea.
 The Worse thing about getting old? - Duncan
>> I think Duncan has staff to do it for him

Oh?

Doesn't everyone?
 The Worse thing about getting old? - Dutchie
Poo sticks I have used them every two years.Nowt wrong with a bit of poo.

Getting old I haven't got the time.

Carer for my wife and looking after grandschildren twice a week.

On top of that, I've had toothache for three weeks.Rang the dentist again he will see me next week finally.

I am thinking of going private maybe a bit better care in the long run.
It cost me £56 yesterday for routine inspection (no treatment) and cleaning at an NHS surgery. I don't know what that would cost privately but I suppose a lot of patients who go private have insurance for it.
>>It cost me £56 yesterday for routine inspection (no treatment) and cleaning at an NHS surgery

£21.60 @ my gaff: www.noahsarkdental.co.uk/ and I clean me own teeth, knowlmean.
 The Worse thing about getting old? - Fenlander
This June before the schools broke up spent a brilliant 2 weeks in a gaff just along from your dentists n-e (adj the old ferry slip between the houses). What a great location and fantastic estuary for our boating. Will probably return.
I envy you, especially with all THAT weather! .. I used to love coming to Cornwall, mainly down the Lizard area but, as ( possibly RLS) someone once said, it's better to travel hopefully than to arrive :)
>>This June before the schools broke up spent a brilliant 2 weeks in a gaff just along from your dentists

www.radiotimes.com/tv-programme/e/hcn7yt/britain-by-boat-2-grumpy-sailors--series-1-episode-3/
Yep I'm going to be settling down with a G&T to watch that with its Fowey content. As it's our thing we watch all those "however many men in a boat" series. This particular series has been great for us as episode 1 covered Brightlingsea, West Mersea and Bradwell creek which are our go-to day out waters.

Re Fowey yes THAT weather indeed. Rained overnight once but otherwise a dry two weeks with mostly blue sky. Had the same with 2 weeks in South Devon the previous year which after decades of holidaying in Scotland each summer has been a massive change. We love the Scottish scenery and coastal waters but for the last few years we've seen temperatures of 16-18deg as the mid summer norm.

The Fowey estuary has been one of the best places to be based so far. Put the car in the big park opp your dentists on a resident's permit and tried not to move it any more than essential for the whole period to avoid losing the space and the inevitable car park wars... even out of the school holidays.... July & August must be horrendous.

We left quite a lot of stuff in the car so I'd go to it for something every day and with the tailgate up space hunting cars would hover... eventually for the frustrated driver to shout "are you going now or not". Very satisfying to shout back no I'm not moving it for another ten days.

One day we returned to find the only free space had a middle age lady standing in it. I lined up and reversed back very slowly as if I'd not seen her. When the parking peepers went off at about 1.5m to her knees she came round to gesture at the side window shouting I'm saving this space for my husband. Too late we were parked... we all got out of the car and she was still claiming it was "saved" and he'd be along in a minute. I asked if she'd bought a ticket and when the reply was no I said well this car has a residents permit... strangely she said oh that's different and wandered off.

Then there was the elderly couple who asked me advice on parking in a "reserved for boats and trailers only " space as all the blue badge ones we full. I mentioned the daily visiting warden was hot on ticketing so why not just use one of the (unusually) free normal spaces adj. But no they didn't want to pay £3 when they had the badge and spent 20mins driving twice more round the long village one way circuit until a disabled space was available. Tight gits.

Yep almost worth a deck chair in that car park for a few hours in the sun to see all forms of human relationships, frustrations and anger issues represented.

>> boat" series. This particular series has been great for us as episode 1 covered Brightlingsea,
>> West Mersea and Bradwell creek which are our go-to day out waters.

Gosh, small world, In the early 70s I used to go out with the daughter (might have been stepdaughter) of the Commodore (may have been vice) of the West Mersea Yacht club.

Being nearly 50 years ago, both their names escape me, her preferred sexual proclivities however, do not. Sheets were involved, and in sailing terms Fenlander will know what that means.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 7 Dec 18 at 10:34
Sheets indeed... sure it wasn't his wife... that would have put you on dangerous ground... keel hauling and all that.

Don't know if you've been back recently but West Mersea is the perfect smallcraft day out place. The hard is clean all the way down apart from the lowest tides and the floating pontoon with toilets and wash tap at the top really handy. Cafes and a chandlers adj complete the picture. The creek/estuary entrance is very benign too so if it kicks up rough outside there is no gauntlet to run before finding safety.
>>Rained overnight once

Once!! .. I can well remember back in the day driving all the way down to Mullion in my V8 Rover (P6) going down to the beach at Gunwalloe or Church Cove. The sky clouded over eventually and, the rain it raineth every day afterwards.

>>July & August must be horrendous

Yup, I only go to the dentist once a year - in December!

>>We left quite a lot of stuff in the car

Not a good idea, too many crims about looking for easy pickings from emmets cars.

>>But no they didn't want to pay £3 when they had the badge and spent 20mins driving twice more round the long village one way circuit until a disabled space was available. Tight gits.

Nowt as, um, queer as folk

8-)

I wasn't aware you are a resident of said town BTW ;)

Useful stuff like basic tools, ropes, fuel cans, old lifejacket etc left in the car but hidden out of sight... and all stuff that could be replaced easily. Sometimes you have to accept what life might throw at you and just get on doing what you want or the what-ifs would overwhelm.

The parking charge system there is good. As a visitor you can get a temp residents permit that lasts a month's duration saving money and faff over daily machine feeding. Covers all the car parks in Fowey too.

Yep the weather really was that good...

tinypic.com/r/t6bekk/9

tinypic.com/r/35bzhqv/9

tinypic.com/r/359fnu9/9

tinypic.com/r/opcy6h/9

Day after day... it was relentless.
>>Sometimes you have to accept what life might throw at you and just get on doing what you want or the what-ifs would overwhelm.

As long as you don't leave your Nikon DSLR + zoom lens on the front seat you should be okay :)

Good pics .. the blue sky in image 2 looks suspiciously like it was taken in the Canaries!
Image 2 is Polkerris... out from Fowey and just round the coast to the West... yep that day was extra stunning and it's a superb location.

Image 1 outside our gaff for the 2 weeks.

Image 3 passing the clay docks.

Image 4 looking up from the pontoon to the excellent and amusing** Quay Cafe at Mixtow Pill.

**Run by a couple of old dames, one quiet and grumpy guy and the other seemingly just off the stage of Funny Girls in Blackpool.
This pic of Polkerris was taken in 1960 so it hasn't really changed much in 58 years:

www.francisfrith.com/polkerris/polkerris-the-harbour-c1960_p65053
Yes I reckon the fact that, apart from a few spaces at the rear of the pub, no cars can come down to the front helps that feel. Having that roomy unmade car park right out of the village is a great idea.
This is a nice place to weigh anchor if you ever take your ship up the creek:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPcPOHBCy3w&feature=youtu.be&t=5
Despite backpacking the SWCP a few years ago, that pub doesn’t ring any bells. I remember wild camping somewhere south of Maenporth, catching two ferries from Falmouth, walking around St Anthony Head and finding an excellent small campsite at Trewince, just south of Portscatho.
One day I’ll walk it again but in the opposite direction, avoiding July & August.
I'm a regular patron of said hostelry Ll .. been there twice in 30 years :)

Looks more like a restaurant which sells beer nowadays -like most pubs :(
Very true. The landlady of my local watering hole, a 5 minute walk for me, sold her pub a few years ago. It closed for a total refurb. Out went the doms, darts and pool teams, of which there were two of each. Out went the bar stools, the open fire, the TV in the snug where the locals whiled away a wet weekend afternoon watching sport.
In came a fancy expensive menu, strange decor and weird colour schemes, increased beer prices, a change of personnel who haven’t a clue with zero customer service skills, are unable to change a barrel when it runs out, look at their phones instead of engaging with customers.
I used to go in there 5 evenings a week early doors. Now it’s probably once every three weeks.
This is the last of the 'spit and sawdust' pubs which I remember. Still looks the same now going by the image taken just last year. This country has gorn to pot (literally!) IMO.

www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.2698173,0.5259221,3a,67.7y,79.26h,84.79t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sSM4GzObIH4gFpZ_Oae2nbA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
Brugger, Its come back positive, twice, now been given an appointment for colonoscopy.
You can tell them where to stick that!
 The Worse thing about getting old? - smokie
Good luck, hope it's just a false positive...

I severely dislike doing the test but if it helps catch something early stages then it makes it all worthwhile...
 The Worse thing about getting old? - helicopter
Sorry to hear that Z and wish you well. Puts a bit of a dampener on Christmas.

Lets hope it early stages and is sorted soon . Does show the advantages of doing the test rather than ignoring it.

The Worse thing about getting old? - tyrednemotional
I sincerely hope that the colonoscopy is the end of it, and the worst part of the outcome.

Not a particularly pleasant procedure, but bearable, even without sedation......

.....and you have a good excuse for farting afterwards :-)

Good luck!
Yes you get epic wind afterwards due to the air they pump into your gut during the procedure. Plenty of reasons for false positive result to test such as haemorrhoids, the test essentially is for blood.

The Worse thing about getting old? - Runfer D'Hills
No hiding place with leather seats either, at least cloth ones muffle loud farts. Leather ones amplify them and cause a sort of ricochet effect ( I believe ) ;-)

Hope you're all sorted soon.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sat 22 Dec 18 at 13:52
Plenty of reasons for false positive result to test such as haemorrhoids.........
>>

....or having recently eaten black pudding.

(I think Z recently posted on the consumption of a 'full English" ;-) )
 The Worse thing about getting old? - MD
Or Beetroot. That terrified my Father to bits!
 The Worse thing about getting old? - MD
Good luck old Son..
5-10% risk of cancer for a positive screening test.

Should be fine but even if it's a nasty it should be a small nasty as Z notes.
Its unlikely to be old father C, when I broke the hip two years ago with no trauma as a cause, they immediately assumed cancer spread into bones, so I had a shed load of scans blood, tests etc etc. all was clear then,

Bowel cancer is not in the family genes, none have karked from it in the last 60 years

Anyway, I have Noel Edmunds and David Icke booked as consultants, they will fix it.
 The Worse thing about getting old? - No FM2R
Good luck with it all.
Zero there are a lot worse things than a colonoscopy.

I have had several with & without anaesthetic. Just leave you pride in the car & pick it up again when you get back to the car.

My first colonoscopy was to confirm what they were 99% sure off & locate the actual tumour(s).

A former work colleague was called in after sending off a sample.
Colonoscopy, some polyps were excised, sent for pathology which came back clear.
Lots of worry before going, taking the liquid enema is a challenge, a bit of discomfort with the procedure. But told that he had nothing to worry about & they would retest him in 5 years.

Good luck
 The Worse thing about getting old? - Clk Sec
You'll be OK, Zero. Good positive attitude, and all that!
 The Worse thing about getting old? - Stuartli
I've always found, Zero that things always seem far, far worse than they actually prove in reality.

All the best.
Hope all goes well Zero
Anytime you fancy taking video of steam on the Settle-Carlisle let me know and I can recommend places to view and accommodation.
And show you what a proper 6cyl goes like !
Regards
 The Worse thing about getting old? - BiggerBadderDave
You'll be fine. Send us some photos.
 The Worse thing about getting old? - smokie
No photos, purlease!!!
It'll be a video, but Dave can still have first pick.

(Some of my ex-works colleagues were conjecturing whether they would find my vocal chords. ;-) )
There are some good videos on YouTube. It really is a strange word down there. Strange reallyhow we live our lives so unaware of all that stuff going on inside us
You are a ghost driving a meat coted skeleton made from stardust riding a rock floating through space.

FEAR NOTHING.
Good luck with all that, Zeddo. I've got two friends who have had positives and both praise the poo-test. The first actually had the start of cancer - but it was caught early, and he's skipping around today. The second was confirmed by colonoscopy as a false positive - but she's glad to know the score.
I had one before my operation (details above) in a day clinic. In conversation with a lady in the next bed, she said they were going to put a camera down her throat. I told her to make sure they washed it, because they were going to push it up my bottom.

I guess you had to be there.

In the event, the surgeon asked me if I minded if some students could observe, to which I agreed. In the event I got a look as well, which was strange.

Seriously, hope all goes well Z.

Neil
I've had two colonoscopies, 2010 and eighteen months later in 2011. Four polyps on the first occasion - harmless - and none on the second. On the first I turned down the anesthetic and watched the whole interesting process. On the second, with a different surgeon, I was given one and told no to watch. No more developments to date.
 The Worse thing about getting old? - hawkeye
Best wishes Mr Z. The test thing has a good clear-up rate. I tested positive a year or two ago, polyps were located and chopped off and I'm now officially clear.

However, it was a mistake to take the motorbike to the hospital in order to get free parking. Riding it home after one of a few colonoscopies inflated like a Zeppelin was agonising. I wouldn't reccomend it.

Good luck.
 The Worse thing about getting old? - R.P.
Hahaha...hoped you've recovered enough to ride again.
I had the Colonoscopy today, And they have found a "palpable malignant ulcerative tumour"

So I'm looking at some staging scans and then a case conference review, likely outcome is surgery to chop the section out, temporary ileostomy, and then hopefully removal of same when the plumbing is healed.

The worse thing is I get put on the "colonoscopy list" every year. Which was probably the worse experience of my life.
..Oh, bad luck old chap......

.....and good luck as well, of course.

(And if the colonoscopy was the worst experience of your life, then it must have been somewhat sheltered!)
Oh dear, I suppose that really is a bit of a bummer...

Get well soon and all that.
>> Oh dear, I suppose that really is a bit of a bummer...

Dont be an arse
Silly fart.

>> (And if the colonoscopy was the worst experience of your life, then it must have
>> been somewhat sheltered!)

I suspected you might enjoy that kind of thing,
...well, if you're going to be like that, can I have your car?

:-O
If he's having your car, can I have your dog please?
The dog is cheaper to run, but requires much more attention.
I'm expect BBD to pipe up about my third chattel.
>>The dog is cheaper to run, but requires much more attention.

Probably why it should come and live with a younger man.
she moults a lot, probably enough to make yourself a syrup.
or a merkin
>> or a merkin

Dont you wear that on the front of your kilt?
>>she moults a lot, probably enough to make yourself a syrup.

...who, the third chattel...?
That was my assumption. You wouldn't have thought he'd have been looking to hasten his end, would you.
...aye....you can understand why she pushed him down those steps in Cuba now, though.

;-)
well you can kiss the car goodbye
Ooo, ooo, please Sir, please Sir, does that mean I can have the dog AND the car since old Iceaxe is out of the running?
>> Ooo, ooo, please Sir, please Sir, does that mean I can have the dog AND
>> the car since old Iceaxe is out of the running?
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CirclingVultures
... all joking apart, though, Z. I bet your opinion on the worse (sic) thing about getting old has now changed - two dimensionally.

In this case, being forced to "take a cardboard stick and smear your poo into the biannual bowel cancer screening test card" will hopefully turn out for you to be a very good thing about growing old.

The colonoscopy on the other hand......
>> ... all joking apart, though, Z. I bet your opinion on the worse (sic) thing
>> about getting old has now changed - two dimensionally.

It always was, of course, a light hearted moan. Otherwise I would have chucked it in the bin. It was my second, the first being two years ago - along with the extensive scans and tests i had in an attempt to find the reason for the hip fracture - it a pretty good time line about how long its been there. Less than two years for sure, likely about a year.

The speed that this has been dealt with (along with the hip incident) convinces me that, despite its problems, when you get into the NHS with an issue, it kicks into gear pretty damn quickly
 The Worse thing about getting old? - Kevin
Since I live closer to Zero than both of you and the dog and the car are configured for UK English I think Basingstoke would be more suitable.
>> Since I live closer to Zero than both of you and the dog and the
>> car are configured for UK English I think Basingstoke would be more suitable.
>>
Is this turning into a post code lottery :-)
Nobody who loves their dog could possibly want it to live in Basingstoke.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 12 Jan 19 at 03:25
>> Nobody who loves their dog could possibly want it to live in Basingstoke.

Mind you, you can see why anyone who lives in Basingstoke would need a classy dog and car to improve their image.
>> Nobody who loves their dog could possibly want it to live in Basingstoke.
>>

...and in any case, both the car and the dog considered the prospect of Basingstoke, and politely (well, not so politely really) declined.
 The Worse thing about getting old? - Kevin
> Nobody who loves their dog could possibly want it to live in Basingstoke.

There are lots of dogs living in Basingstoke.
Last edited by: Kevin on Sat 12 Jan 19 at 23:05
 The Worse thing about getting old? - Duncan
>> Since I live closer to Zero than both of you and the dog and the
>> car are configured for UK English I think Basingstoke would be more suitable.
>>

Oy!
>>Oy!

I was waiting for this response. Knowing I was just a bit further away any bid from me would fail.
Either bid would improve on Basingstoke :-)
>>The speed that this has been dealt with (along with the hip incident) convinces me that, despite its problems, when you get into the NHS with an issue, it kicks into gear pretty damn quickly

I'll second that, as I'm going through a similar experience with a close relative (once we put a rocket up the GP's jacksie).

As an aside, isn't it the best fart you've ever had when they pull out the paraphernalia, and where does all that lubrication go?
>> ...well, if you're going to be like that, can I have your car?
:-O

You wouldn't want it T&E, funny colour and the wheels are too small...

;-)
To be honest Zero is a friend of mine and is clearly facing a challenge, but rather than supporting him and trying to find ways to help, we're all fighting for two of his chattels.

This is very demeaning for all of us and doesn't fairly represent the respect we normally show Zero.

Therefore I think the only decent solution is that Zero gives everything to me and I will distribute it fairly after I keep everything that I want.

A perfect solution, I am sure you will all agree, that will end all this unwholesome bickering.

p.s. Zero, since I am doing this to help you I assume that you will also include an little extra cash for shipping?
I certainly don't want the car and the dog.
Neither would be happy up here in the frozen North!

On a more serious note, referrring back to my earlier input, Best wishes for a successful outcome. I have two friends with problems in the same area. One had a successful re-connection, the other didn't. Both are still with us and thriving - at a greater age than me.

Best wishes once again

Neil
Last edited by: neiltoo on Sat 12 Jan 19 at 17:02
I'm sure after treatment Z will be back to talking out his ar5e as usual.

>> p.s. Zero, since I am doing this to help you I assume that you will
>> also include an little extra cash for shipping?

When did you start this lucrative career as a receiver?
Well.

How ungrateful.
Never let it be said that gratitude was my greatest gift to humanity.
>> Never let it be said that gratitude was my greatest gift to humanity.
>>

Indeed. To be fair though I'm not sure that anyone has ever said that. What would you say were your greatest gifts? After humility of course which goes without saying.

>> Indeed. To be fair though I'm not sure that anyone has ever said that. What
>> would you say were your greatest gifts? After humility of course which goes without saying.

Hmm let me see. Honesty, Integrity, pragmatism and common sense.

I guess a career in parliament is out.
>>I guess a career in parliament is out.

I'd give the Diplomatic Corp a miss as well.
I dunno, the bar was set pretty low for Boris.
...you fancy Ambassador to Chile, Z.....?
The Ambassador to Chile is an absolute star, exactly what you want a British Ambassador to be. Would that all our Ambassadors were that good.
No I hear the customers are a PITA
...well, you don't need any more of that, do you.....
Hi Zero

It is 8.5 years since my operation & I am still here - much against the odds as I was a late diagnosis. The operation(s) while worrying at the time were pretty straight forward to my fellow patients & myself - 2 weeks in hospital & most were fine after a few weeks. Even a cousin of 82 has now passed his 90th - he was diagnosed early as they caught it when they were investigating another issue he had - fixed both with surgery in the single 2 week stay!

Being a late diagnosis I had to go through Chemo for 3 or 6 months. Just be grateful if you do not need Chemo - the operation is a walk in the park compared to 6 months chemo trauma & the after effects that are still with me 8 years on.
Thank you for those kind and inspirational words FB. Its always comforting and encouraging to hear, first hand, tales of someone much worse off than yourself. ; ; ;
Latest Forum Posts