Non-motoring > Online purchases to require mobile signal Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 10

Online purchases to require mobile signal - Crankcase
The BBC say by September next year an EU rule means banks will be sending a password to your phone when you make an online purchase. But no signal means increased friction for the sale, perhaps significantly (like ringing the bank on a landline for approval. Press 1 to go into an hour long queue to authenticate a thirty pound purchase type thing).

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46399707

We have no usable mobile signal at home. If this happens I can see it really would reduce my online purchases if I had to call the bank each time.

Anybody else here think this would affect them?

Online purchases to require mobile signal - Zero
No, wont affect me. There is an exemption based on risk profile. That profile can be as simple as delivery to the registered card holders address.

Online purchases to require mobile signal - Bromptonaut
Santander uses One Time Passcodes (OTP) when new payees are created using on line banking and occasionally for debit card transactions. Never had a problem around home but there are places in the UK I visit regularly where there is no mobile signal.

No doubt the 'meddling' EU will get the blame for any inconvenience caused by what is actually a powerful tool for consumer protection.

I've not seen the directive but I suspect reliance on OTP is about how banks (or UK government) have chosen to implement it rather than a specific requirement in the legislation. There are other potential options including phone apps that generate 'random' numbers using an algorithm also held by the bank or pre-printed codes for use in an emergency.

Our main CRM system at work uses a tool called Okta Verify which works on the algorithm principle to provide an extra level of security over and above passwords.
Its all about a thing called factors of authentication. You try and invoke as many as you can for a transaction.

Realistically for general use there are only three

1/ Something you know
2/Something only you have
3/Something you are

1 is invariably a password, or a piece of personal information.

2/ Is something in your possession,

3/ Is usually a fingerprint, retina scan, face, dna.

The regulation (the EU NIS) is insisting on two factor authentication by the banking industry, which for a while has been the recommended minimum, and is currently used now (in its various forms) for online banking. Its up to the banks how they use this, so they are just expanding what they use now.

The EU NIS, is not just about shopping and backs, its a wide EU response to cybercrime/terrorism/war, and includes an EU wide network of reporting and response, and legislation for companies to report it (most banks hide it). Its an EU legislation that was heavily driven and led by GCHQ

Last edited by: Zero on Sat 1 Dec 18 at 10:05
 Online purchases to require mobile signal - R.P.
Didn't stop John Lewis delivering my new phone to the address we left 18 months ago - had to trvel a 100 miles to collect it. Thankfully I still get on with the my buyer otherwise it could have been awkward. They compensated me, but still what does that say about their "risk profile".
 Online purchases to require mobile signal - sooty123
It depends how it's implemented, it's a bit iffy for mobile signal but not too bad for most of the time. The place before last we lived at was like living in an underground bunker, no chance for a signal.

If they bring in some other sort of method of ID I might just use that. Find out soon enough I suppose.
 Online purchases to require mobile signal - Cliff Pope
Tesco Bank uses a one-time code to log in. You can opt for this to be to a landline number if you don't have a mobile signal.

The 10 minute validity period wouldn't give time to drive to somewhere with mobile reception and get back in time to use the code. In any case the website would have timed out unless you left someone browsing about the bank site to simulate activity. :)
 Online purchases to require mobile signal - No FM2R
I have several accounts that I can only use if I have my mobile phone with me. About 10, I think. I cannot think of any occasion in the last 3 or 4 years where that has given me an issue.
 Online purchases to require mobile signal - Runfer D'Hills
In my high society life, I often have to find a supermarket to go for a pee and grab a sandwich on the run.

Yesterday I was in a random Morrisons doing just that, and to my surprise and delight they had take away bacon rolls. Most royally sorted then I decided.

Thinking it a smart move to avoid queueing at a till or failing to make the self service nightmare thing work, I went to the tobacco/lottery counter with my butty.

Inevitably there was a queue there too, and of course they all wanted scratch cards of varying hues, vouchers redeemed, their previous lottery tickets checking and a full blown conversation about something random with the assistant.

I began by becoming slightly resentful, and ended by slipping into an invisible but deep hatred of the painfully slow faffers in front of me, as my newly chosen bacon roll cooled and the minutes ticked by. The chap in front of me was also clearly agitated and we exchanged a glance of mutual frustration.

When it became his turn, I felt sure he was the sort of fellow who would deal with the proceedings efficiently, he had that look about him.

But to my dismay, on receipt of his 20 Marlboro, he then proceeded to try to pay for them by doing something to his watch.

Whatever that procedure was, it didn't work, and he had to attempt it several times until it did.

It was all I could do to contain myself from inserting my bacon roll somewhere he would have found at least inconvenient and hopefully painful.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sat 1 Dec 18 at 14:28

>>
>> It was all I could do to contain myself from inserting my bacon roll somewhere
>> he would have found at least inconvenient and hopefully painful.

But it would have warmed it back up for you
 Online purchases to require mobile signal - R.P.
Morrisons...that is all...saying that I use my phone often there to pay for odds and ends..(even fuel)
Latest Forum Posts