Non-motoring > BBQ cylinder - exchange Butane for Propane. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 5

BBQ cylinder - exchange Butane for Propane. - henry k
I had a Calor Butane cylinder ( the blue one) that was unwanted.
It was left over when an old BBQ rusted away.
My local supplier would/could no longer not swap it for a Calor Propane cylinder ( the green /Patio one) so I was going to add it to the collection at the local tip.
Further inquires and I found that my local Calor distributor was quite happy to do the swap for just the standard " refill" charge.
I suspect quite a few folks are not aware of this exchange option.
Lots of old Propane cylinders are advertised.

I now have a S/H Outback BBQ and two full gas cylinders ready for the next season.
The thin burners are, as usual, rusting away but I now find stainless steel versions are available
so all sorted and it will probably outlast me :-)
 BBQ cylinder - exchange Butane for Propane. - helicopter
I cannot understand why anyone would ever want to cook on a barbecue in the garden with charcoal or gas when they have a kitchen with perfectly adequate and much more effective safe hobs , ovens and grills.

Generally , not always , I have seen burnt,overcooked or undercooked meat which I have refused to eat cooked by men in aprons with stupid slogans ....

Not for me .
 BBQ cylinder - exchange Butane for Propane. - Cliff Pope
You can use Butane/Propane interchangeably, with the correct pressure reducer, but Butane gets very sluggish in cold weather.
 BBQ cylinder - exchange Butane for Propane. - henry k
www.getoutwiththekids.co.uk/camping/camping-tips/choosing-gas-cylinder/
 BBQ cylinder - exchange Butane for Propane. - RichardW
One very cold morning camping in Scotland, I had to shake the gas cylinder just to get a very small flame out if. I then stood the cylinder on the flame for about 10 minutes to get some heat in it, and enough gas to make a cup of tea....!
 BBQ cylinder - exchange Butane for Propane. - Bromptonaut
Small cylinders of Butane like the Camping Gaz 206 cartridges lose performance significantly by 10 degrees C. We repeatedly struggled with coffee for early starts when camping at altitude in France. As the liquid evaporates to gas the cartridge cools and cannot absorb heat from surrounding air fast enough to keep pace. Bigger cartridges are better and a re-fillable cylinder is just fine.

Opted for Calor Propane in caravan but carry a back up Camping Gaz cylinder while in France where Calor is not among the multiple brands of LPG sold in every filling station.
Latest Forum Posts