Non-motoring > Nokia 6310i - what a phone Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dave Replies: 39

Nokia 6310i - what a phone - Dave
God knows how many phones I've had over the years, but my latest new fangled one got dropped and fell apart. I really can't be bothered to trawl the shops or the internet for something else, then do all the setup, learn the menus, buy another car charger, new carry case etc. So at the back of the kitchen draw I found my old Nokia 6310i.

Charged it up, put in the sim and away I go. What a revelation! Big buttons, a display that can be read in any light, long battery life, and it's been dropped a thousand times but still works. It's all properly screwed together and made in Germany. But best of all, it's got great reception and works in patchy areas where previous phones have dropped out.

Ok, so it hasn't got a camera, games, email, calculator, fancy ringtones, colour screen, gps, ipod, radio, or internet. But it's rather good at being a phone.

I wonder if you can still get an original battery for it?
 Nokia 6310i - what a phone - Zero
the 6310i ws the finest phone ever made. It could pull a signal in anywhere.

yes you can still get batteries, they were in several phones.
 Nokia 6310i - what a phone - -
Agreed the best phone they ever made, tough simple and completely reliable, they won't make that mistake again.

Nokia 6310i - what a phone - Runfer D'Hills
Tha trouble is though GB, people think they want something more up to date, lighter weight, more efficient and more cutely styled when actually they already own something much better which doesn't deserve to be tossed aside like a stale crust......

:-)
 Nokia 6310i - what a phone - MD
So why don't they make it again?? I concur, best phone EVER. Still got it, but I can't turn the thing on. Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

MD
 Nokia 6310i - what a phone - Ian (Cape Town)
+1000!
Oh, and Henry K will agree as well.
 Nokia 6310i - what a phone - henry k
>> +1000!
>> Oh, and Henry K will agree as well.
>>
Sure will. Well spoted on our last meet at the brewery on the waterfront!
I had a company supplied car kit ( Elf n safety over 10 years ago) now "retained" and am well set up with chargers ( but my lightweight one has cable failure) including a desk charger. The only thing I do not use is the twin SIM adapter.

SWMBO and I both enjoy our phone contracts wich cost us £0 per month so we just pay for calls /text. BUT why / how did SWMBO get to learn texting !!!! Is there no escape ?

Only problem is for the last few weeks Orange have our local cell out and nearby ones are totally overloaded ensuring rubbish if any signal strength.
So Esher does have a "Downside" in more than one sense:-) But Esher will soon be famous for its yet to be built M25 service centre.

Last edited by: henry k on Wed 1 Sep 10 at 08:49
>> Only problem is for the last few weeks Orange have our local cell out and
>> nearby ones are totally overloaded ensuring rubbish if any signal strength.
>> So Esher does have a "Downside" in more than one sense:-) But Esher will soon
>> be famous for its yet to be built M25 service centre.

Worry not about it, Downside is in Cobham..

Now I know you desire to be a cobhamite Henry, but thats stretching it. About three miles.
 Nokia 6310i - what a phone - spamcan61
I reckon you'll still be able to get a battery for it ( maybe not OEM). I tried a similar vintage 5110 in the car kit in SWMBO's Zafira a year back and that still worked fine. I'm surprised a newish SIM worked in a phone that old as I'm fairly sure they changed the SIM voltage at some point.

When my former employers shut my workplace down last Christmas I binned half a dozen working 6310is amongst many similar and slightly newer phones, broke my heart it did!

I reckon a 2630 is the nearest equivalent nowadays, apart from build quality, they're about 13 quid in Morissons.

The 'E' series are still screwed together properly IMHO, my E70 still works fine after 4 years of hard use, including two trips down the loo, and my daughter's E72 appears much the same, and still made in Finland.
>> When my former employers shut my workplace down last Christmas I binned half a dozen
>> working 6310is

they still fetch 60 quid a pop on ebay.
>> >> When my former employers shut my workplace down last Christmas I binned half a
>> dozen
>> >> working 6310is
>>
>> they still fetch 60 quid a pop on ebay.
>>

I tried to get them officially scrapped so I could take 'em home but couldn't get the paperwork signed, they were pukka CE marked phones so legit to use in the real world:-/

Last edited by: spamcan61 on Tue 31 Aug 10 at 20:07
 Nokia 6310i - what a phone - rtj70
My work phone is a 6310i but I don't use it. I use my own with the work SIM. But the battery on the 6310i was really a decent capacity and a simple phone. The capacity of the original 6310i battery (larger capacity/thick ones available) is around the same as the one used in my e51. And that lasts for ages too. Some say it was the 'new' 6310i.
 Nokia 6310i - what a phone - R.P.
I have a 5140i (Rugged phone) purely for m/bike use, cracking phone good signal puller works on all networks (well Orange 02 and Vodafone anyway) survives wet rides - huge battery capacity well beaten with the ugly stick so not attractive to thieving little magpies.
SWMBO had the similar 5100 which is as tough as old boots, far better than any of the phones she's had since.
 Nokia 6310i - what a phone - CGNorwich
www.amazon.co.uk/Nokia-6310i-Mobile-Phone-Silver/dp/B00009XLNH
 Nokia 6310i - what a phone - Hard Cheese

Agreed re the 6310i, also the first with Bluetooth.

Nokia 6310i - what a phone - Stuartli
I'm still very content with a Nokia 3310 - simple, sturdy, excellent sound and a recent replacement higher capacity battery only cost £4.99 including delivery.
 Nokia 6310i - what a phone - teabelly
I've got one in a drawer to as an emergency spare. I'll know it will still work right until gsm is switched off.

Nokia are making carp phones these days. I want to run my N86 under a road roller it is so infuriating.

You should be able to get a spare battery for it. Try somewhere like mobileshop.

The on button issue with 6210 and 6310i is common though. That's often the way they die in the end...
 Nokia 6310i - what a phone - Tigger
I ran the IT for a building company when the nokia 6310i came out. It was back in the days when nokia designed a decent car kit, and each phone fitted the car kit so you could issue someone a new phone without all the hassle which came with changing the car kits.

I remember phoning the mobile operator to book for the MDs car phone to be switched from one Bentley to another. They said "No problem, that'll be £79 for a standard deinstall/reinstall"; I had to press quite hard before they realised that this was a bit different!
 Nokia 6310i - what a phone - Dave
Well it seems there's quite a cottage industry to keep these phones going. specially www.6310i.co.uk - batteries, car kits, spares and service manuals. In fact, I may buy another to replace my other phone. I may also get a car kit as it looks like they may ban the use of handhelds while driving here (Sweden) soon.
 Nokia 6310i - what a phone - tyro
Brand new ones on ebay for £50.
 Nokia 6310i - what a phone - sherlock47
>> Brand new ones on ebay for £50.
>>

Beware there are apparently Chinese copies out there!

I have the same car kit in 3 cars and run 3 x 6310i - still the best phone there is! And you know that it is still in your pocket!
 Nokia 6310i - what a phone - hawkeye
>> I'll know it will
>> still work right until gsm is switched off.
>>

Another happy 6310i user here. It's on its 3rd fascia, second antenna but it refuses to die.

What's this about GSM being switched off ?
>> What's this about GSM being switched off ?

about 2018 to 2020, moving to UMTS.

Probably wont happen tho because something better will always be over the horizon.
 Nokia 6310i - what a phone - Iffy
I've not had a 6310i, but I have had several basic Nokias.

All were sturdy, reliable and easy to use.

I wouldn't have anything else.
 Nokia 6310i - what a phone - hawkeye

>> about 2018 to 2020, moving to UMTS.
>>
>> Probably wont happen tho because something better will always be over the horizon.
>>

Thank you. Should see me into retirement when I will become a grumpy technophobe and start cursing all equipment with an on/off switch.
I have ( quite seriously ) thought of changing my mobile number and then claiming I don't have one anymore. Any calls I would then make from it would have the number hidden. Either that or just turn off the messaging facility, it's almost always something giving me grief. That'd show 'em ! Just need to figure out how to selectively do the same with email now.....

For example ( typical day ) 12 voicemails came in while I was in a two hour meeting this morning. 10 of them could have been dealt with by my head office. On returning to my desk at 14.30 I find 35 emails. 29 of those could have.....and why does everyone find it necessary to copy the world and his mistress on everything these days ? Trouble is you can't not read it just in case......Well you get the picture....

:-(
When email first came in, my boss used to delete it all.

"If its important, they will ring me. If its not important Its not worth bothering with"
Good man !
My sympathies Humph - Those Were the Days etc etc

My wife has gone back to work after being off for a while to over a 1000 e-mails, each has to be at least scanned before being binned...
>> My wife has gone back to work after being off for a while to over
>> a 1000 e-mails, each has to be at least scanned before being binned...

Yup, 100 emails a day was common at my place. Its just noise - important stuff gets lost in it. After two weeks off you have to deveop a "scan the headers " mentality and bin the rest.

The beauty of that technique is that the stuff you dump, never sends back a "read" response if specified by the sender, so you can legitimately claim you never recieved it.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 1 Sep 10 at 20:01
Ho Ho !
Agreed I can't see GSM dying for along time yet, people still want to talk to each other rather than just download data, and GSM will be easily the most cost effective way of doing that for years yet. Having said that OFCOM are due to remove the restriction on just using the 900 and 1800 frequency bands for GSM later this year, so there will be a gradual shift towards 3G and 4G.
I know someone who holds a very senior position in a very large company who simply will not respond to emails from anyone. Similar to Zero's erstwhile boss she maintains that if they need her input badly enough they'll phone or write a proper letter.

Wish I was brave enough.....
Depends how much business you can undertake without ever using one - I was a Crackberry once but now largely cured.
 Nokia 6310i - what a phone - apm
I also had a 6310, and good phone it was too. I am, however, a bit of phone prostitute and do change every couple of years. Currently have iPhone 3GS which I do love. Apple have the interface and useability absolultely nailed. I also have a work-supplied 1st generation blackberry that just refuses to die.

I wouldn't like to go back to an older phone, but can see the attraction.

For those enthusuasts, a quick google (on my iPhone) produced this:

www.6310i.co.uk/store/

Alex.
 Nokia 6310i - what a phone - henry k
>>For those enthusuasts, a quick google (on my iPhone) produced this:

>>www.6310i.co.uk/store/

A while back I looked at the site and lots of phones were out of stock. Today the site fails.

However, today on fleabay I see "NOKIA 6310i BRAND NEW & UNUSED. 100% GUARANTEED NEW"
just £179.99 + £7 p&p.
 Nokia 6310i - what a phone - Old Sock
Just made a test call on my Ericsson GH388 - still works perfectly.

And you can use it to knock nails in if stuck for a hammer :-)
>> Just made a test call on my Ericsson GH388 - still works perfectly.
>>
>> And you can use it to knock nails in if stuck for a hammer :-)
>>

Some even better hammers, including the Nokia 9000 for 35 quid, available here:-

www.retrobrick.com/nokia9000.html
 Nokia 6310i - what a phone - Mike Hannon
Still got my 1998ish Nokia 5110 for when I'm in the UK. Sounds good, easy to read, gets a signal where newer ones don't and makes people laugh when they see it.
Latest Forum Posts