Non-motoring > Tiling - how to clean up after you! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 20

Tiling - how to clean up after you! - BobbyG
OK over the weekend I had my first ever bash at tiling, doing a 3 tile high splash-back around the utility room sink and worktop.

My job tonight is to now try and get the stainless steel sink and the black worktops roughly back to the way they were before I dumped half a ton of grout on them. Grout everywhere, some solid, some still squishy. I know it should all come off eventually with lashings of water, elbow grease, scouring pads etc but is there anything else I can do? You know the sort of thing, like the Mr Muscle adverts on TV, spray on , go and have a cigar and drink and then come back and it will all wipe off?

And yes, I know it should all have been covered, tidiness isn't my forte!
 Tiling - how to clean up after you! - Ted
Cleaning ? Woman's work....is there not one around who would take a pride in a well done job ?

Incoming flak from Pat expected........going into hiding.

Ted
 Tiling - how to clean up after you! - Runfer D'Hills
Not so long ago I'd have suggested carefully chiseling it off........sort of lost its appeal now.

:-(
Last edited by: Humph D'bout on Tue 31 Aug 10 at 16:51
Humph, can understand why!

Ted, yes there is a woman but do I really want her saying how she had to finish the job off blah blah blah????
 Tiling - how to clean up after you! - AnotherJohnH
I think the knack is to get it off places you don't want it before it sets:

plenty of running water and keeping the cloth clean to avoid surface scratching.

Probably a bit late now, the way the original post reads....
 Tiling - how to clean up after you! - Zero
yup, lesson one you get it off while its still moist.

Tile one day, clean up asap

Grout the next day - clean it all the time while doing it.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 31 Aug 10 at 17:34
 Tiling - how to clean up after you! - BiggerBadderDave
"yup, lesson one you get it off while its still moist."

Sex with my ex-wife
yeah but heard she needed more than grout to fill.....

oh never mind

Mine's a lot better after a night on the tiles.

Hardened grout ? Hmmmm.........probably best to remove all the tiles so you can get the worktops and sink out to be thrown away and replaced.
Of course, removing the tiles, now they're set, will probably bring a fair amount of the plaster off with them.

I suppose it could be worse.

Ted
 Tiling - how to clean up after you! - MD
Get a professional next time you tight Wad!!

MD.

NO. I don't know any before you lot start. :0)
 Tiling - how to clean up after you! - R.P.
Quite right Martin. I had a professional in to tile my shower after another professional wrecked them ! Mind it looks a lot less nineties now in white.
 Tiling - how to clean up after you! - J Bonington Jagworth
"Probably a bit late now, the way the original post reads..."

My thoughts exactly. A paint scraper (the sort that takes Stanley knife blades) should shift it, but you need to be careful on the stainless. I use old credit cards for lighter duties and they work surprisingly well. Next time, mask it all off!
JBJ there won't be a next time!!

Well a few hours of elbow grease, a sponge/scourer and lots of elbow grease and the worktop is looking new again. Sink mostly clean but has some dulling. A couple of scrape marks where I had to use the scourer side. I believe baby oil is good for restoring stainless steel.

This was my first attempt at tiling and quite chuffed with outcome. If Dave had posted his thread last week I would have added "tiling" to the list of never having done, but I can score that off now!

Mind you, don't think I would really want to do it again and that was just a splashback, no way would I attempt a shower or bathroom!

Olive oil or cooking oil will do if you haven't any baby oil in the bedside cabinet.

Ted
 Tiling - how to clean up after you! - Pat
Surely everyone does, Ted?

Pat
 Tiling - how to clean up after you! - Mapmaker
Tiling is surprisingly easy, I've done two showers, a bathroom and a kitchen.

Memories, Pat..........Copperslip now !

Ted
 Tiling - how to clean up after you! - J Bonington Jagworth
"Copperslip now !"

Blimey - that's a bit heavy duty, isn't it?

Less sticky than LM grease.

Ted
 Tiling - how to clean up after you! - Old Navy
Not much cleaner than moly grease though.
 Tiling - how to clean up after you! - sherlock47
Dont wash unused tile cement /grout down the sink. Even if you think that copious water will wash it away, it doesn't! If you are lucky only the trap gets blocked!
Latest Forum Posts