Non-motoring > Jackdaws Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Manatee Replies: 43

Jackdaws - Manatee
We had a plague of jackdaws in the spring and early summer, often there would be a dozen in the garden. They saw off most of the smaller birds and were intelligent enough to work out how to dislodge the nuts etc from the birdfeeders.

Worst of all, they blocked our sitting room chimney by making nests in it.

I have swept the chimbley today and got a heavy sack full of twigs and what looks like compost down. I assume the compost is the remains of plant material that they lined the nests with.

It wasn't easy either. I've had all the drain rod attachments up there. I'm still not happy that I've got it all down. They are devilish clever, there were some really long sticks in there and they really took some shifting.

I have thought about getting a cowl on the chimney pot, but that must surely prevent chimney sweeping unless I want it knocked off. Are there any tried and tested ways of discouraging these gangsters of the bird world?
 Jackdaws - No FM2R
>>I have thought about getting a cowl on the chimney pot

Doesn't work. It is amazing what they can actually get through, they keeping fiddling with it over a long period of time and eventually dislodge something. You need something very strong and permanently attached to take that route. My house has three floors and getting up there is a big job, especially as the protectors have to be so firmly fixed.

>>Are there any tried and tested ways of discouraging these gangsters of the bird world?

Get into the habit of lighting little smokey fires. Not the sort that will generate any heat in the middle of the summer, but that will send a load of smoke up the chimney. I used to do it a couple of times a week and it seemed to stop the problem.

Green twigs, for example.

Jackdaws - sooty123
Know anyone with a .22 rifle? Pretty sure they are open licence.
 Jackdaws - CGNorwich
Why the desire to kil? Wildlife in this country is struggling as it is

It is actually only legal to kill Jackdaws or Other corvids in very limited circumstances which are:

• preventing serious damage to agricultural crops or livestock

• preserving public health/air safety

• conserving wild birds.

It is also illegal to discharge a firearm near a house or a public road.

Jackdaws - Rudedog
Down on the coast the houses have big cage structures over the stacks to stop gulls nesting, bite unsightly but seems to work.
 Jackdaws - bathtub tom
Larsen trap!
 Jackdaws - Zero

>> It is actually only legal to kill Jackdaws or Other corvids in very limited circumstances
>> which are:
>>
>> • preventing serious damage to agricultural crops or livestock
>>
>> • preserving public health/air safety
>>
>> • conserving wild birds.

Limited circumstances? that reads as "open season"
 Jackdaws - Cliff Pope

>> >>
>> >> • preserving public health/air safety

Such as avoiding death from fumes from a blocked chimney?
 Jackdaws - CGNorwich

>>
>> Limited circumstances? that reads as "open season"
>>
Only if you have reading difficulties.
 Jackdaws - Zero
Ok tell when jackdaws DONT threaten wild birds?

Jackdaws - Bromptonaut
>> Ok tell when jackdaws DONT threaten wild birds?

Jackdaws are wild birds.

Their presence sets off alarm calls from the blackbirds in my garden; I've not seen them threaten fledglings though I've no doubt they'd take eggs.

They do though compete for the stuff on the bird table.
 Jackdaws - R.P.
May be worth speaking to the RSPB
 Jackdaws - Zero
>> >> Ok tell when jackdaws DONT threaten wild birds?
>>
>> Jackdaws are wild birds.
>>
>> Their presence sets off alarm calls from the blackbirds in my garden; I've not seen
>> them threaten fledglings though I've no doubt they'd take eggs.

I have had corvids raid nests in my garden multiple times, and seen one picking bits off a fledglings on the ground.

As I said, those rules above read like open season on Jackdaws. And to pretend otherwise is pathetic pedantry
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 28 Oct 18 at 21:03
 Jackdaws - CGNorwich
Look, there are not good animals and bad animals, good birds and bad birds. The jay raiding a thrush’s nest to feed its young is just behaving naturally just as the thrush is when it smashes some snails on a rock. The whole of nature is interlinked. Predators are just as much of natural balance of things as are the predated. A blue tit for example can in a good year lay two or three clutches of up to ten eggs. Simple arithmetic will show you that without predation the world would be knee deep in them.. The best thing humans can do as a rule is just to let nature get on with it. The massive decline in wildlife in this country has all to do with human activity, and not jackdaws

Jackdaws - Zero

>> rule is just to let nature get on with it. The massive decline in wildlife
>> in this country has all to do with human activity, and not jackdaws

Not denying any of that, I merely stated that your protection criteria for Jackdaws were by definition, non existent.
 Jackdaws - Mapmaker
>> Not denying any of that, I merely stated that your protection criteria for Jackdaws were
>> by definition, non existent.

Kind of. Time was when nobody thought anything of having a larsen trap for killing magpies and corvids. It was felt you could always argue that they were threatening small garden birds.

These days the RSPB have been known to prosecute people for having a bit of fun keeping numbers of these birds down. People are accordingly much more reticent about doing it. Obviously if you have a shoot then your young birds are being protected; for the rest of us the argument is rather weak.
 Jackdaws - Cliff Pope
>> Look, there are not good animals and bad animals, good birds and bad birds.
>>
>>

Why not ? - there are good people and bad people, predators and predated.
 Jackdaws - No FM2R
Because good and bad are arbitrary human standards and cannot be qualities attributed to animals.

Unless, of course, we mean good for us and/or bad for us.
 Jackdaws - MD
>> Look, there are not good animals and bad animals, good birds and bad birds. The
>> jay raiding a thrush’s nest to feed its young is just behaving naturally just as
>> the thrush is when it smashes some snails on a rock. The whole of nature
>> is interlinked. Predators are just as much of natural balance of things as are the
>> predated. A blue tit for example can in a good year lay two or three
>> clutches of up to ten eggs. Simple arithmetic will show you that without predation the
>> world would be knee deep in them.. The best thing humans can do as a
>> rule is just to let nature get on with it. The massive decline in wildlife
>> in this country has all to do with human activity, and not jackdaws
>>
>>
Predominantly farming practices.
 Jackdaws - Bromptonaut
>> I have had corvids raid nests in my garden multiple times, and seen one picking
>> bits off a fledglings on the ground.
>>
>> As I said, those rules above read like open season on Jackdaws. And to pretend
>> otherwise is pathetic pedantry

You say Corvids. I've no doubt other members of crow clan from Hoodies to Magpies raid nests. My assertion was specifically about Jackdaws - were they the birds in question?

Not nit picking, just interested.
 Jackdaws - Zero
In the last few years, in my garden its the Magpies that have taken over nest raiding duties. There is quite a large gang that terrorises the street.
 Jackdaws - Bromptonaut
Magpies on nest raids are commonplace although we have few of them at home.

Lots of Jackdaws but they seem to find easier pickings on the bird table including using their intelligence to get at stuff meant for smaller species.

When I started working from home in 2012 I was puzzled by frequent sound of something apparently rolling down the roof. Noise far to light to be a tile and no sign of cement breaking up. Only when I was almost hit by a small object did I twig.

Next door have a mature walnut tree at bottom of their garden. Jackdaws pick up the nuts, perch on roof and drop them in expectation of being rewarded with the kernel.
 Jackdaws - MD
>> Know anyone with a .22 rifle? Pretty sure they are open licence.
>>
Genius.
 Jackdaws - sooty123
>> >> Know anyone with a .22 rifle? Pretty sure they are open licence.
>> >>
>> Genius.
>>

Cheers.
 Jackdaws - Dog
This type of cowl stops down draughts and byrds getting access to the chimney.

Yoos would have to go some to knock the top orf whilst sweeping the chimney but, I always get the ole woman to stand outside and tell me when she can see the brush.

www.chimneycowlproducts.co.uk/acatalog/Junior-Aluminium-Cowl-Strap-Fixing-359.html#SID=12
 Jackdaws - Roger.
Not a jackdaw story, but my S.I.L and daughter have adopted a crow with a damaged foot. He was quite young and still cannot take off and fly. SIL has built him a massive aviary! The cat likes to look at him and in the best daft tradition the bird has been given a name.
What else but Russell? :-)
 Jackdaws - helicopter
Staying with friends yesterday when a crow simply fell from the sky onto their lawn stone dead...no obvious cause but it was during a fairly heavy rainstorm and high winds.

Two other crows then alighted beside the body and were trying to lift the dead one by the wingtips before giving up and flying off.

Within quarter of an hour a Magpie cautiously approached the body to feed on it. Nature taking its course.

I did say to my friends that maybe it was an omen ....
 Jackdaws - CGNorwich
On an etymological note it's interesting how many of our common bird were given Christian names hence

Jack Daw
Robin Redbreast
Jennie Wren
Tom Tit
Mag Pie - an abbreviation of Margaret
 Jackdaws - Zero
Johnathon Livingstone Seagull

Batman

River Phoenix
 Jackdaws - CGNorwich
And there is no such bird as a seagull. They are just gulls of which there are numerous varieties non of which is “sea”.
 Jackdaws - MD
Jackdaws decimate the Little Owl population here. They should (imho) be culled as their numbers seem to be forever growing.
 Jackdaws - CGNorwich
Some would advocate culling invasive non-native species like Little Owls.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Mon 29 Oct 18 at 21:12
 Jackdaws - Zero
Wolves, we need wolves, they would sort those invasive non native household cats
 Jackdaws - CGNorwich
They would certainly help sort the overpopulation of deer if reintroduced to the Highlands of Scotland.

Something like a Golden Eagle might be a better proposition for urban cats and it would be a great sight to see them making off with next-door’s over-stuffed moggies.

Why do cat lovers all now have to have two or more animals? One per household used to suffice.
 Jackdaws - bathtub tom
>>Why do cat lovers all now have to have two or more animals? One per household used to suffice.

Neighbour has a couple that insist on defecating on my grass. Grandkids play there and I'm aware of toxocara worm. Tried orange/lemon peel to no effect. Currently sprinkling my urine around (but not when they'll see me).

Anyone any ideas? Apart from a 12-bore?
 Jackdaws - CGNorwich
Easy. Prepare a nice seed bed. Spend a few hours raking it to a fine tilth and carefully plant your vegetable seeds in nice straight rows. The next morning you will find the cats have crapped in it rather. Than on the lawn
 Jackdaws - Crankcase
The only cat deterrent we've found that actually worked was this type of gadget:

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0153BJ7NQ/

Works a treat, but has some disadvantages that outweighed its usefulness for us in the end. If it freezes, it breaks. If it runs out of battery it's useless. If it springs a leak when you're not there you lose loads of water. If you site it foolishly it will get the postman. If you forget it's there, especially in the dark, it will get you. You may need more than one and then you need to get water to them.

Work around those things and it's excellent at its job. Seeing the various neighbours' cats scarper fast became a fun pastime, and of course it does them no harm.

Jackdaws - sooty123
If it freezes, it breaks.

Useful in the UK.
 Jackdaws - Crankcase
Yeah. Fine for this part of England for most of the year. We then stuck that hose insulation stuff on it to get more time in the winter, but it still froze eventually. That made it leak.

We bought another and then put it away in the winter, which was fine. We weren't in the garden to discover the catty offerings in winter anyway.
 Jackdaws - Manatee
No jackdaws this morning, but a large and very colourful jay hanging off and pecking at some sweetcorn that didn't mature properly.

Definitely a jay, couldn't be anything else, but it had a wonderful pale blue breast - can't find a picture of one like it. The boss thinks it had a bit of a tuft on its bonce as well, but I didn't notice that.
 Jackdaws - Runfer D'Hills
During the years when we didn't have a dog, we used to constantly get cats crapping in our garden. Since we have had a dog, that stopped instantly. Of course the dog has taken over the crapping in the garden duties instead, but at least it's "our" crap, which is somehow psychologically more acceptable than it being someone else's.

If you see what I mean? ;-)
 Jackdaws - sooty123
Ours won't really take a number 2 in our garden perhaps a couple of times a year. He'll only do it on a walk, quite handy tbh. No searching about the garden looking in the dark for poop.
 Jackdaws - neiltoo
The German Shepherd from next door crapped on our front lawn. As if that wasn't enough, his dog started as well1

8o)
 Jackdaws - No FM2R
[groan]
Latest Forum Posts