Non-motoring > Electrical item warranty claim Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 8

Electrical item warranty claim - bathtub tom
Had to take an electrical item back to a well known supermarket today.
The instruction manual stated it had a two year warranty and in the event of a failure to return it to the retailer, who would have the option of replacing it, or giving a refund.
It was tripping the electrics after 22 months.

I listened for a while to the assistant who claimed that as it was over twelve months old I had to deal with the manufacturer. I patiently pointed out the relevant statement in the instructions and suggested they got someone more senior.

I ended up dealing with what looked like a twelve-year-old, who told me they no longer sold the item. I said they then had no other option than to give me a refund under the terms of the instructions, which I considered a contract. Showed the receipt, pointed out the relevant paragraph in the instructions and had to threaten small claims court. After he made several 'phone calls, I was told to leave it and the documents and they would contact me. No way was I leaving proof of purchase and a faulty item and started to walk.

After several more calls, a refund was given. It took 90 minutes!
 Electrical item warranty claim - Falkirk Bairn
>>It took 90 minutes!

I take it that is the last time you will be going to that supermarket.

Like to advise of

1) the product
2) The supermarket

- every little helps you know,
>>- every little helps you know,

"You may think that, I couldn't possibly comment".
Last edited by: bathtub tom on Fri 26 Oct 18 at 22:53
 Electrical item warranty claim - R.P.
www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/section/23/enacted
 Electrical item warranty claim - Fullchat
Have you noticed how receipts seem to be printed in 'auto fade' ink?

You go to that dark place where you store such paperwork for a time of need and all you have is a blank piece of paper.
 Electrical item warranty claim - R.P.
Odd that isn't it. John Lewis (in fairness) provide you with what they call an online Kitchen Drawer - all your receipts form them end up there.
 Electrical item warranty claim - No FM2R
I photograph all important documents; passport, id cards, right through to receipts.

Named by date which sometimes means searching them is a bit of a pain, but it works pretty well for a minimum effort approach.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 5 Sep 19 at 10:26
Update to this tale:

I've received refunds to my credit card for the full value of the item, twice! One from the store I returned it to and one from their headquarters.

I suspect it would be a nightmare trying to return the overpayment, so I'll wait a while and see if they do anything about it.
 Electrical item warranty claim - Falkirk Bairn
>>so I'll wait a while and see if they do anything about it.

Take it as part payment towards the 90 minutes of your time that the store wasted when 5 minutes would have been reasonable time to return an item.
Latest Forum Posts