Non-motoring > SWMBO Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Netsur Replies: 35

SWMBO - Netsur
Anyone know (I do now!) where the phrase 'She Who Must Be Obeyed' originally came from?
 SWMBO - Runfer D'Hills
Rumpole I think.
 SWMBO - paulb
I first recall seeing it in Rumpole novels. Don't know whether that was the source, though..
 SWMBO - R.P.
He got it from a book/film called "She" or somesuch - I recall a 60s film of a book full of women with Wonderbras and characters upon which the Archers modelled their women.
 SWMBO - Armel Coussine
'She' by H Rider Haggard... was she a witch called Gagool? Anyway SWMBO was her title among the awestruck subjects.
 SWMBO - Zero
I though she was a white queen, ayesha, of a black african tribe.
 SWMBO - madf
Ayesha was the descendant of Egyptians iirc, trekked there centuries before...
 SWMBO - Netsur
Yes - Ayesha; as featured in the book She by H Rider Haggard, written in about 1880 I think.

The phrase 'she who must be obeyed' was the name of a child's doll that was in the Rider Haggard household when Henry was growing up. It had demon eyes apparently.

I was at the airport, bookless, and wanted something different from the usual sex, shopping and crime novels. I have bought foreign authors before, but took a look at the Classics shelves and thought I would give She a go. I quite enjoyed it, although it is a little tame now for modern minds. HRH also wrote Kings Solomon's Mines a few years earlier.
 SWMBO - commerdriver
I have to say yet again, the range of questions, and answers, on this forum never ever ceases to amaze me. Well done chaps totally out of left field!
 SWMBO - helicopter
SWMBO did come from Rider Haggard and I was an avid reader of his novels when I was a lad.....but I always recall the take off of ' She ' on Round the Horne

'Tonights Play is She , the story of a 2000 year old Queen ......'

You can imagine what Julian and Sandy had to say...

SWMBO - Tooslow
Well it's probably not that episode but 08:00 on Friday, Radio 7, Round the Horne series 4, episode 16. I used to listen every Sunday, on long wave. After Cliff Michelmore had finished chatting up Judith Chalmers at the licence payers expense there was always a good comedy on. I think Al Reid was my favourite. Then it was film reviews and then the top twenty at 5 o'clock with Fluff.

God, Sundays were boring!

JH
 SWMBO - Armel Coussine
>> a white queen, ayesha, of a black african tribe.

You are probably right Zero, long time since I read them... the evil witch Gagool was in 'King Solomon's Mines' I think...
 SWMBO - Tooslow
I'm having deja vue again

tinyurl.com/32bqu68

JH
 SWMBO - Ted

Two way family favourites, Navy Lark, Billy Cotton's band Show with Alan Breeze.
Beef dinner with all the trimmings and a pudding with custard......O happy days !

Still got some Al Read tapes.....clean and hilarious to this day. Plenty on YouTube if you want a listen.

Afterrnoon tea later, with thin buttered bread and home made potted beef. A variety of cakes to follow.

Droooooooool !

Ted
 SWMBO - Tooslow
Don't forget the tinned fruit with Carnation.

JH
 SWMBO - Zero
Dont forget that wondrous desert of the chemical generation.

Angel Delight
 SWMBO - R.P.
"desert"

Sand flavoured ?
 SWMBO - Tooslow
not if the cat's been there.

JH
 SWMBO - -
Don't forget The Clitheroe Kid.
 SWMBO - Ted
>> Don't forget The Clitheroe Kid.

Met him once, briefly. he was at a wedding at the church opposite our house .

Blocked my car in, with his Vanden Plas 1300, I think....came over as a real prima donna when I asked him to shift it ! Got really strumpy with me.

Malignent dwarf !

Ted
>>
 SWMBO - MD
>> Angel Delight
>>
Only the 'Orange' variety.
 SWMBO - Runfer D'Hills
I used to love butterscotch Angel Delight when I was 11. I stopped liking it when I was 13 but it took me until I was 29 to persuade my mother to stop serving it when I visited her.
 SWMBO - MD
Mum's Eh!
 SWMBO - R.P.
I tried it in a whim a few months ago - the chemicals made me buzz somewhat, not bothered since.
 SWMBO - MD
AND the Angelic delight?
 SWMBO - R.P.
horrid lumpy stuff
 SWMBO - FocalPoint
Apparently one of Margaret Thatcher's many nicknames was "She Who Must Be Obeyed". There were others:

'Thatcher’s Ministers leaked constantly, down to little things like the public-schoolboy nicknames they gave her: “Matron”, “The Great She-Elephant”, “She Who Must Be Obeyed”, and “Tina” (for her favourite phrase in argument, “There Is No Alternative”).'

from tinyurl.com/35fgpqs
 SWMBO - MD
>> from tinyurl.com/35fgpqs
>>
YES YES and YES.
 SWMBO - Ian (Cape Town)
So... what do members call their spouses?
the SO?
'er indoors?
The dragon?
the missus?

SWMBO - MD
Ayatollah-at-Homei.
 SWMBO - J Bonington Jagworth
"So... what do members call their spouses?"

I think that depends on whether they are in earshot!

I usually introduce Mrs JBJ as my other half, as although that sounds a bit lame, 'partner' (which she really is) sounds as though we're a firm of solicitors and/or gay. Perhaps I should marry the woman...

BTW, Angel Delight is sometimes available at Lidl. Still a bit synthetic, but strangely moreish.
Last edited by: J Bonington Jagworth on Wed 1 Sep 10 at 14:36
 SWMBO - R.P.
Angel Delight - I know (in the voice of Andy from Little Britain)
 SWMBO - Runfer D'Hills
Thanks for that mental image of your appearance post-retirement PU !
 SWMBO - Mapmaker
The love of my life!

:p
 SWMBO - apm
SWMBO gets used a bit out of earshot; within earshot it's usually 'wife', 'dear' etc.

I've also heard reference to 'the rib' and 'the ball and chain'!
Last edited by: apm on Thu 2 Sep 10 at 13:41
 SWMBO - Londoner
"So... what do members call their spouses?"

Sometimes introduced to other people as "The First Mrs L" (it keeps he on her toes).

Although at home, it's usually "Yes, Dear", "No, Dear".

And of course I always put the toilet seat down.
Latest Forum Posts