Non-motoring > Systemic Weed Killers Green Issues
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 5

Systemic Weed Killers - Ambo
I read somewhere that the useful glyphosate-based weed killers, such as Roundup, are likely to be banned owing to green issues with them. What animal-safe substitutes do posters recommend?
 Systemic Weed Killers - CGNorwich
There really aren’tt any other systemic weed killers available to the public. To be honest you don’t really need them much in a garden. Good cultivation, Hoeing , mulching hand weeding flame guns etc will generally suffice for most weeds. Plenty of household chemicals such as salt, bleach, vinegar and even boiling water will kill weeds but they are not long lasting solutions ansd some like salt will have long lasting toxicity.

Systemic Weed Killers - Bromptonaut
I haven't seen anything about 'green' (ie environmental) issues but there are widespread suggestions that Glyphosate is a carcinogen:

www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/nov/27/controversial-glyphosate-weedkiller-wins-new-five-year-lease-in-europe
 Systemic Weed Killers - CGNorwich
But there again so is everything from coffee to hamburgers. The Mail will keep you up to date on the latest threat to life.
 Systemic Weed Killers - Pat
According to my Gardening Magazine, it is already banned in a lot of countries but apparently, the EU approved it again for 5 years (I think it was 5 years) in 2017.

I remember the article stated that even after that time it would take some years to ban it anyway.

Pat
 Systemic Weed Killers - Roger.
I'd better stock up on it, then.
Latest Forum Posts