Non-motoring > Chuffers Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 11

Chuffers - legacylad
Currently sat in my office/ single bedroom over looking the Ribble valley to the limestone hills and a chuffer just passed up the line heading in the direction of Ribblehead. I get a view of it for about 3/4 mile without even getting out of my seat. Surprising that these ‘steam specials’ are still running mid week out of skool holidays....my local gym is only 300 yards from Settle station so I’ll call in and see what time it’s scheduled to return. If at all.
My local station has a flyer inviting one to become a member of The Duke family. It’s a big green engine apparently, currently being restored. Quite a coincidence if that is just what went past.
 Chuffers - Zero
It was an LMS 8F, and will be back through Settle Junction about 18:21. There are about 300 steam train trips booked a year, there is no off season.

The Duke being restored is actually BR std class 8, 71000 Duke of Gloucester
 Chuffers - legacylad
Much appreciated. Unfortunately I’ll be circuit training ( intended pun) 6-7 but will hear it as it passes within feet of the gym, which is located on ‘The Sidings’ @ Settle oddly enough !!
 Chuffers - Runfer D'Hills
I overtook a steam locomotive earlier today. Ok, it was on the back of a low loader on the A50 westbound, heading towards Stoke on Trent ish.

It had a name plate on it which read "City of Wells". Didn't look very restored, from what little detail I could see as I went past. Mostly matt black at a glance.
 Chuffers - movilogo
If steam locomotives are made today with modern technologies, will these be better than older counterparts?

I meant better efficiency, better driving controls (digital displays, AI robot fireman) etc.

Whether manufacturing them makes any senses that's a different question.

I fancied one of these for my garden railway but price is way too much :-(

www.roundhouse-eng.com/

Chuffers - Zero
>> If steam locomotives are made today with modern technologies, will these be better than older
>> counterparts?
>>
>> I meant better efficiency, better driving controls (digital displays, AI robot fireman) etc.

Yes and no. Tornado is a "new" steam engine. It has normal controls and displays, albeit with modern safety aids like AWS/TPS, GSM/R and data recorder.

Tornado was built from the original plans using modern materials and techniques

The first time it was asked to do fully loaded test run at 100 mph it passed with flying colours. 9 months later when approved to do 90 mp with a full load of passengers it fractured its valve gear spreading bits everywhere and blocking the east coast main line fast line for 2 hours.
 Chuffers - legacylad
Fortunately, leaf sweeping duties meant that I couldn’t get to my circuit training at t’gym on time, but as I was en route there I was just in time to catch the chuffer hammering through Settle station at a fair old pace.
The knowledgeable folks there told me that the steamer would be taken off at Hellifield, a few miles down the line ( if it could stop in time) and return to Carnforth. Diesel power then for the onward journey to Colwyn Bay. At least I think that’s what they said.
 Chuffers - Zero

>> to Carnforth. Diesel power then for the onward journey to Colwyn Bay. At least I
>> think that’s what they said.

they woz rite
 Chuffers - Zero
City of Wells is an unrebuilt Battle of Britain class, normally lives on the east lancs railway.

Its a working loco, which is why its grubby
 Chuffers - legacylad
Zero, what is the best website please to get accurate info on steam specials? Yesterday was a stunning day in my part of the world, and it would be grand to take a walk over Whernside then catch a steamer going across Ribblehead viaduct
Thanks
 Chuffers - Zero
www.uksteam.info/index.htm
 Chuffers - legacylad
Thankyou. Much appreciated
Latest Forum Posts