Non-motoring > Bing! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 31

Bing! - Dog
I know most of you clowns use Chrome and Firefox but, I use Bing most of the time.

Todays Bing page features Tilbury Fort and I'm a trifle annoyed due to the fact I was Bjorn, bread and edumacated in sowf lunden, my ole woman hails from Esssex and neither of us had ever heard of said fort.

Bing pages quite often lead me to further research the subject to improve my knowledge which, as you know, is immense.

:o}

www.bing.com/?pc=EUPP_

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilbury_Fort
 Bing! - rtj70
Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox are web browsers. Bing is a search engine.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 17 Oct 18 at 10:17
 Bing! - Dog
>>Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox are web browsers. Bing is a search engine.

Course I realised that after posting. I use Google Chrome, Firefox and Waterfox daily, all of which use the Google search injun I believe.
 Bing! - No FM2R
You can use pretty much any search engine with any browser. The default search engine is usually changed in the browser settings, thought it's not always obvious.
 Bing! - Zero
I refuse to use bing*, as a search engine it's commercial bias towards results that favour Microsoft makes Google look like a paragon of unbiased virtue

However I use bing maps, as they offer an OS overlay

Bing! - No FM2R
>> I refuse to use bing*, as a search engine it's commercial bias towards results that
>> favour Microsoft makes Google look like a paragon of unbiased virtue

I didn't realise that. However, I don't use Bing because it just seems very 'loud' to me. Like the wrong kind of music. As listened to by a couple of teenage girls I know.
 Bing! - VxFan
>> I know most of you clowns use Chrome and Firefox

I always use IE, and will continue to do so for as long as MS support it.
 Bing! - Crankcase
Tilbury is a great place, non-emmet. (Wish you'd change your name back, this new one is a pain to type!)

Like you, the exploration of the serendipitous discovery is a huge part of my life. The avenues you end up exploring are infinitely fascinating to me.

You should get over to Tilbury, make a trip of it. Who knows what you might find along the way.
 Bing! - Dog
>>You should get over to Tilbury, make a trip of it. Who knows what you might find along the way.

Bit late now Cc, being I live in Cornwall - bet my ole mate Don who was a docker and a mudlark knew all about Tilbury Dock, even though he is/was dyslexic.
 Bing! - Crankcase

>> Bit late now Cc, being I live in Cornwall

Shame. Some of our best trips have resulted from reading something, finding out there's a stained glass window or something in some obscure church 300 miles away, findind a cheap B&B and just going. When you get there, ideally on pretty back roads, or on the way, there are always a plethora of brown signs for interesting things, museums, tea rooms and bookshops, or whatever floats your boat.

Best kind of trips those, unplanned but with a vague point to it. For us, anyway.
 Bing! - Dog
>>Best kind of trips those, unplanned but with a vague point to it.

You live an interesting life Cc. One thing which floats my boat is the Stone Age, introduced to me by 'my ole mate' Don the Thames mudlark.

I used to go with him to the many prehistoric sites in Cornwall and Devon looking for flint tools.
He has got sooooo many axe heads and arrow heads etc. you wouldn't believe it.

I found my first leaf arrow head when I was out on my own one day - better than winning the lottery, almost :)
 Bing! - Crankcase

>> I found my first leaf arrow head when I was out on my own one
>> day - better than winning the lottery, almost :)

Fantastic. I'd love to find one. They do field walking around here from time to time and I've not yet signed up, but I must.

I can see things like that in a museum and get a full on case of the gezilkas.
 Bing! - Dog
>>Fantastic. I'd love to find one. They do field walking around here from time to time and I've not yet signed up, but I must.

Esme c5000 year-old leaf arrowhead and a c66AD bronze Roman sestertius, one of 7 I found with my Minelab Sovereign metal detector ... on a Bronze Age burial mound:

www.flickr.com/photos/43576259@N04/44660376214/in/datetaken-public/
 Bing! - Duncan

>> www.flickr.com/photos/43576259@N04/44660376214/in/datetaken-public/

Is that Granddad Trotter - the old bloke with the beard in the trunks?
 Bing! - Dog
>>Is that Granddad Trotter - the old bloke with the beard in the trunks?

Tis me, when I've lost a few stone!!
 Bing! - No FM2R
I use Edge at the moment.

Chrome seems clunky, Waterfox became annoying, Firefox only slightly less so, IE is often a pain, Opera is ok but has just a few small irritating habits, but Edge seems ok.

Been a few months now and it hasn't annoyed me yet. Which is my normal driver for changing browsers.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 17 Oct 18 at 10:54
 Bing! - Dog
>>I use Edge at the moment.

Stupid question from an immensely-knowledgeable clown, can I use Edge with 64 bit Windows 7?
 Bing! - rtj70
Yes
 Bing! - No FM2R
Not a stupid question.

And I think you cannot. If you can, then I suspect that it is a traumatic hack to do so.

Mind you'd I'd also recommend getting off W7. It is only going to get more restrictive and problematic with time, not less. I understand the attraction, I was a W7 fan myself, and certainly not W8. But W10 is troublefree and easy once you get used to it.

IMO, of course.
 Bing! - Zero
I dislike W10 immensely, the struggle to stop MS deciding and lumping what products and services it decides you will have annoys me no end. I am trying to repair a PC and have downloaded the latest installment media. Out the box the start menu resembles a notice pillar plastered with garishly coloured useless fly posters.

Bing! - Dog
>>Yes

>>I think you cannot. If you can, then I suspect that it is a traumatic hack to do so.

Thanks, maybe I'll do better to wait 'til my 7 year-old PC and Laptop go nipples up.
 Bing! - henry k
>> ...maybe I'll do better to wait 'til my 7 year-old PC and Laptop go nipples up.

Got the tee shirt .
Dumped my old Mini tower and just got W10 with a new ( refurbished) Dell micro desktop that is all solid state. It is just 5" x 5" x 1" and quiet.
My son organised it and as promised it is a pleasure to use.
A bit over speced for my uses but I treated myself.
Still adapting to W10 but it should future proof me for a few years.
 Bing! - Dog
>>Dumped my old Mini tower and just got W10 with a new ( refurbished) Dell micro desktop

Something along these lines mayhap:

www.expertreviews.co.uk/pcs/1403976/dell-inspiron-micro-desktop-review-miniature-excellence
 Bing! - henry k
>>Something along these lines

It is In a box like this
tinyurl.com/y9b5rzlx
and a spec like this
Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro | Core i7-7700T 8GB 256GB SSD Win10 Pro 5 Year Warranty
OptiPlex 7050 Micro Form Factor
Intel® Core i7-7700T (Quad Core, 8 MB Cache, up to 3.80 GHz, 25W
32GB 2400MHz DDR4 SDRAM Non-ECC
512GB Class 20 Solid State Drive
Intel vPro Technology Enabled
Dell USB Keyboard, Dell USB Mouse
10/100/1000
Windows 10 Pro (64bit)
 Bing! - Dog
Aha!

"1. There is NO technical reason why Edge cannot be ported to Win7. NONE.

2. MS wants everyone on Windows 10 because it has 2 things, 7 doesn't.

3. An APP store.

4. A subscription model".

The ONLY reason Edge isn't available on Win7 is because MS cannot monetise it.

answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-use-edge-with-windows-7/61883297-3def-4699-945c-484ce36dde49?tab=AllReplies#tabs
 Bing! - No FM2R
You just asked can you run it on W10, and you cannot.

Why that should be is speculation.

However, I would guess that it would need to be ported, then supported, and would perhaps make an Operating System more popular at a time when Microsoft would like to see it's usage reducing.

As a general rule there is no reason why anything cannot be ported to anything. But it takes time, money and effort to do and support, along with porting and testing all future updates. So why would anybody do that on an old operating system?

As for not monetizing, Microsoft is a company not a charity. Why would they do anything if they couldn't make money or see a strategic advantage in it?
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 17 Oct 18 at 15:19
 Bing! - Dog
Och aye, I'll leave the Edge browser alone for now until I replace my PC and/or Laptop.
 Bing! - smokie
Windows 7 OK till Jan 2020

support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4057281/windows-7-support-will-end-on-january-14-2020
 Bing! - CGNorwich
They all seem more or less the same to me. Why is Chrome "clunky"
Not sure what you mean really.

Bing! - No FM2R
I don't really have a good answer for you.

It seems to be a heavy resource user, it seems difficult to tweak, it seems to simply object to the occasional thing I want to do.

I know, not a good answer, what can I say.

Assuming they work, Browsers are such a subjective thing these days. I don't really think there is any significant functional difference, just different manifestations of a UI. And, at least in my case, subjective perceptions of their ease of use.
 Bing! - smokie
I keep trying different ones (usually following comments here!) but always end up back on Chrome. I suppose it's like an old glove and all that...
 Bing! - No FM2R
Oh, I suddenly remember one thing abut Chrome that annoyed me. It's interface with LastPass got flakey which annoyed me. No doubt it's fine now, but at the time it was annoying.
Latest Forum Posts