Non-motoring > Paul Allen Dies Computing Issues
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 24

Paul Allen Dies - zippy
Co-founder of Microsoft. This man has had a real impact on most of our lives in one way or another.
 Paul Allen Dies - No FM2R
That's a shame, a decent man by all accounts and only in his mid 60s.

He'd had cancer for a very long time.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 15 Oct 18 at 23:43
 Paul Allen Dies - rtj70
Sad and I expect his legacy to be good and to try and kale a difference.

His complications were probably pneumonia.
 Paul Allen Dies - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45871379
"In 2010 he pledged to give the majority of his fortune to charitable causes after his death."

On one of our trips to Cape Town a very large yacht (300 feet long) Tatoosh was moored at the front door of the Cape Grace Hotel right in the middle of the harbour
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatoosh_(yacht)#/media/File:Tatoosh,_V%26A_Waterfront,_Cape_Town,_18_Oct_2008.JPG
We were surprised to learn who the owner wasand no significant restrictions just walking by/under it.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljyK7p_q_zw

His big vessel Octopus ( 400 feet long )
www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r3hcaRDELY
 Paul Allen Dies - smokie
Oh! I saw Octopus somewhere in the last few years! I'm not a boat person but I do enjoy wandering round some of the more poncy marinas and muttering how disgustingly wealthy some people must be, especially when you consider the number of decent sized boats just bobbing about on their anchor.

Couple of years back we were in Ibiza and I was chatting to a bloke at the end of the gangway of a posh yacht. Ronaldo had rented it, and Messi's was parked up next to it. I can't remember the exact costs but Messi's was much smaller!

On the same trip we also saw the Kismet, at 312ft smaller than Octopus but still looking pretty grand. €1.2m a week to charter apparently. www.moranyachts.com/luxury-yachts/kismet/?yacht-type=luxury-yachts-charter. That may have been all-inclusive! :-)

EDIT: I remembered - Octopus was in Canary Wharf during the 2012 Olympics. Walked past it regularly on the way to work... www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2177211/London-2012-The-Olympic-super-yachts-arrive-Thames.html
Last edited by: smokie on Tue 16 Oct 18 at 09:01
 Paul Allen Dies - Zero
Pffft Octopus is a mere duck pond pedalo compared to the big superyachts.
 Paul Allen Dies - CGNorwich
I can honestly say that however wealthy I was the last thing I would buy is a yacht. Being extremely susceptible to sea sickness it would just be a very expensive way of making me ill.
 Paul Allen Dies - Zero
Not much swell on the broads. Anyway, the private jet makes sure you dont have to sail in bad weather
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 16 Oct 18 at 09:50
 Paul Allen Dies - tyrednemotional
>> Not much swell on the broads.......

...the 6mph max speed should save on the fuel bills, as well.....
B>> >> Not much swell on the broads.......
>>
>>
>> ...the 6mph max speed should save on the fuel bills, as well.....
>>

Potter Heigham bridge would present a bit of a problem too.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Tue 16 Oct 18 at 09:56
Believe me I have felt very ill learning to sail a dinghy on Hickling Broad.
 Paul Allen Dies - Fullchat
Even the NOTAT McDonald Douglas MD 900 Chopper is not at the lower end of the scale

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz1_MUMnOsg

Looks like a flight would not be a spur of the moment job.
 Paul Allen Dies - VxFan
Am I the only one who never knew who Paul Allen was?
 Paul Allen Dies - Zero
>> Am I the only one who never knew who Paul Allen was?

I think thats highly likely, yes.
 Paul Allen Dies - VxFan
>> I think thats highly likely, yes.

Well at least 2 others don't either, which suggests he wasn't 'that' famous after all.
 Paul Allen Dies - No FM2R
>>Well at least 2 others don't either, which suggests he wasn't 'that' famous after all.

Sounds like my daughter and me talking about some apparently global pop/rock/whatever star that I've never heard of.

Paul Allen Dies - tyrednemotional
>> >> I think thats highly likely, yes.
>>
>> Well at least 2 others don't either, which suggests he wasn't 'that' famous after all.
>>

...wasn't he Ronnie Pickering's mate.......
Ronnie Pickering?
Who's he??? :)
 Paul Allen Dies - Zero
>> >> I think thats highly likely, yes.
>>
>> Well at least 2 others don't either, which suggests he wasn't 'that' famous after all.
>>

You really don't want to be associated with those two
 Paul Allen Dies - Bromptonaut

No.
"Am I the only one who never knew who Paul Allen was? "

No :S
 Paul Allen Dies - Duncan
>>

Didn't he have a puppet show on the telly?
 Paul Allen Dies - Pat
I thought he was Irish and missing half a finger.

Pat
 Paul Allen Dies - Bromptonaut
>> Looks like a flight would not be a spur of the moment job.

Prepping a chopper for flight always seems to take ages.

The one on the film is some sort of emergency service machine, note the SAMU (Service d'Aide Médicale Urgente) branding. Those NOTaR designs, which use controllable jet efflux to control yaw etc are particularly well suited for landings in streets etc where an exposed tail rotor is a massive H&S hazard.
 Paul Allen Dies - helicopter
I must admit that I did not know who Paul Allen was either.

As far as private helicoptr operations are concerned my old company serviced one VVIP who ran two private Sikorski S92 helicopters which cost around 32 million USD each. One in the Middle East and one in the UK.

They were kept on three hour standby for him at a cost of around 500,000 USD per annum each.

Latest Forum Posts