Non-motoring > Electric Shavers. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 32

Electric Shavers. - R.P.
Treated one to myself when we had the Motorhome. I've taken to using it of late, wet shaving only once a week (saving a king's ransom in blades along the way). The shaver leaves my skin just a little dry. Anyone here use a post shave er...moisturiser...if so which one ?
 Electric Shavers. - John Boy
I heard a radio programme where a dermatologist said that older men should use moisturiser because skin dries out as you age. It's certainly happened to me and my skin would flake off leaving red patches beneath. My partner tried to persuade me to use moisturiser, but I resisted because the stuff she used took ages to soak in. The woman on the radio said "the cheaper the better" which seemed to mean "runny". So, when I remember, I use Johnsons Baby Lotion. It soaks in quickly and does the trick. I nearly always shave with an electric shaver.
 Electric Shavers. - bathtub tom
I was told that if using an electric shaver, not to wash beforehand because the soap removes the natural oils that also lubricate the shaver.
 Electric Shavers. - Mapmaker
>> I was told that if using an electric shaver, not to wash beforehand because the
>> soap removes the natural oils that also lubricate the shaver.

Also, an electric razor relies on the hair being dry and brittle so that it snaps between the blade and the foil; a wet shaver relies on the hair being wet and supple. So I once read.
 Electric Shavers. - helicopter
I wet shave but to keep dry skin moisturised generally
I recommend Aveeno moisturiser available from most chemists or Aloe Vera gel ( Holland and Barratt).
 Electric Shavers. - Duncan
I electric shave in the shower. Done it for years now. A recharge lasts about 2 weeks.

Braun 340 Wet & Dry.
 Electric Shavers. - devonite
I had been an electric shaver most of my life until I started with kidney problems, since then the Philips will not touch it even with new cutters! - I now have to wet shave and only get 3 shaves before the blades start dragging, costing me a fortune ;-( might invest in wire cutters!
 Electric Shavers. - CGNorwich
Moisturiser for men?

Good God what’s happening to the world.
They're Southerners! - all the hot weather they're getting is drying their skin up - blame climate change! ;-)
 Electric Shavers. - Ambo
My doctor recommended moisturiser to help with a sun damage keratosis. Had I received that tip earlier, I might have avoided having a chunk cut out of my nose, on removal of another of these pre-cancerous beasties.

Electric Shavers. - R.P.
Thanks. Sunday is wet shave day. Will have a poke around the shops tomorrow.
 Electric Shavers. - PeterS
>> Moisturiser for men?
>>
>> Good God what’s happening to the world.
>>

Given that Clinique first launched its range for men in the late 70’s, whatever’s happening in the world has been happening for 40 years. Or, most of my lifetime ;)

>> Given that Clinique first launched its range for men in the late 70’s, whatever’s happening
>> in the world has been happening for 40 years. Or, most of my lifetime ;)
>>

Pretty much coincides with the the general collapse of moral values in thi country and the increase in the crime rate then. Can’t be a coincedence can it?
>> Pretty much coincides with the the general collapse of moral values in thi country and
>> the increase in the crime rate then. Can’t be a coincedence can it?
>>

Correlation doesn’t necessarily mean causation, as everyone should know.... And despite the general doom and gloom, I’m pretty sure that there’s never been a better time to be alive. Better educated, better travelled, better informed and longer living on the whole than any other time in history . Sure, there are some downsides, but I’ll take it as it is thanks!
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 15 Oct 18 at 12:56
 Electric Shavers. - No FM2R
>>Given that Clinique first launched its range for men in the late 70's, whatever's happening in the world has been happening for 40 years.

Am I bothered that you use moisturiser? No, why should I be? Sometimes I do too.

Am I bothered that you know enough about moisturiser to know when Clinique started their first range for men? Hell yes, how on earth did that compete for a place in your memory?
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sun 14 Oct 18 at 23:56
>> Am I bothered that you know enough about moisturiser to know when Clinique started their
>> first range for men? Hell yes, how on earth did that compete for a place
>> in your memory?

It didn’t, I googled it :) But only because I couldn’t remember a time when it wasn’t available!
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 15 Oct 18 at 12:56
 Electric Shavers. - Ambo
Is it the perfume of some moisturisers that bothers you, CG? Aftershave and hair dressings incorporate it too.

>> Is it the perfume of some moisturisers that bothers you, CG? Aftershave and hair dressings
>> incorporate it too.

I may be wrong....

but I presumed when the Norfolk boy said

"Pretty much coincides with the the general collapse of moral values in thi country and the increase in the crime rate then. Can’t be a coincedence can it?"

that it, including the typo, was all said tongue in cheek.

No?

Tongue in cheek? I think it pretty clear Duncan that male moisturisers are the root of so many ills in our society. Did not the decade they were introduced see us enter the EU with their fancy continental ways and foreign food?
 Electric Shavers. - Zero
>> Is it the perfume of some moisturisers that bothers you, CG? Aftershave and hair dressings
>> incorporate it too.

Yes now there you go see. He is quite prepared to poo poo moisturisers for skin, but perfectly happy that blokes slathered their, unwashed, hair with water, mineral oil and beeswax - Aka Brylcreem

A habit so disgusting that furniture had to be equipped with protective barriers - the antimacassar
If that were the case they would have been called antibrylcreams. The came into use of course when macassar oil became popular in Victorian times.

Brylcream of course gave RAF pilots in the Battle of Britain their edge over their German counterparts and is still available today.
 Electric Shavers. - Zero
>> If that were the case they would have been called antibrylcreams. The came into use
>> of course when macassar oil became popular in Victorian times.

So did Stuffing children up chimneys , that wasn't a particularly good idea either and was useless against the nazi hordes blacking out our skies.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 15 Oct 18 at 13:15
Arghh! Brylcreem! - don't remind me of that stuff! - My father used to slather my head with that stuff every morning when I was a kid, and I got caned at school relentlessly for smearing my books with grease! The teacher even wrote to him asking him to desist, but he wouldn't hear of it, he said it was good for my hair and I would thank him in later years! - 60 yrs on, I still have a full head of hair (albeit thinning) whilst most of the lads I was in school with are now polishing theirs. - maybe he was right all along?
BBC news

>> I still have a full head of hair (albeit thinning) whilst most of the
>> lads I was in school with are now polishing theirs. - maybe he was right
>> all along?

Look at your maternal grandfather. Did he have a full head, or was he as bald as a coot? That's who you get it from, or from whom you get it.
 Electric Shavers. - Ambo
I am reminded of my old chemistry teacher, who used to get in a terrible rage over we pupils' errors and would haul us about by our hair. One of our number was a charming Jewish boy with a lovely head of black curls, all carefully modelled with lashings of Brylcream. When he was selected as victim, the teacher would first powder his head liberally with the blackboard duster, give him a good haul, then wipe his hands on his academic gown. The other main teaching aid was the duster itself, which had a wooden back and could be hurled with enough power to reach the furthest part of the classroom.
 Electric Shavers. - zippy
>> I am reminded of my old chemistry teacher, who used to get in a terrible
>> rage over we pupils' errors and would haul us about by our hair. One of
>> our number was a charming Jewish boy with a lovely head of black curls, all
>> carefully modelled with lashings of Brylcream. When he was selected as victim, the teacher would
>> first powder his head liberally with the blackboard duster, give him a good haul, then
>> wipe his hands on his academic gown. The other main teaching aid was the duster
>> itself, which had a wooden back and could be hurled with enough power to reach
>> the furthest part of the classroom.
>>

We had a metalwork teacher who got in such a rage with an "ethnic" kid that he grabbed an iron bar and started at him with it. It took a few seconds for us to realise and we had to pull the teacher off him. The lad was basically beaten up by a 30 year old guy. The lad would have been aged 12 to 14 as I gave up metalwork in the 3rd year.

Nothing was done about it and as the kid lived in a "home" there was no one to look out for him.

The old sod is still about locally and was at one time town mayor.

The woodwork teacher used to throw wood chisels at kids that were taking at their bench.

These people would be banned from the classroom for life now, if not doing time!

Electric Shavers. - commerdriver
Some rough schools around in those days.
We never had anything like that, but being Scotland in the 60s / Early 70s they could quite legally use a leather belt up to (I guess) half an inch thick which got the point across fairly forcefully at any age from 5 or 6 up to 18 for those still at school. I think I was 7 when I first had it.
I got the cane across hands for fighting, which was fair enough, what wasn't was the look in the headmaster's eyes. He clearly enjoyed it - sick really.
 Electric Shavers. - No FM2R
I had a number of teachers who were nasty, inadequate sadistic scumbags who should have been dropped down a well.

The world does better with the violent manifestation of their feelings of inadequacy supressed by the law.
 Electric Shavers. - R.P.
Very little violence at my old school (apart from the PE Teacher). I was lucky maybe ? Most made a lasting (good) impression, some indeed left me with a lifelong love of reading, history and other things. I still don't get quadratic equations !
I think things are better now and areas probably have something to do about it.

My school had a reputation so probably couldn't recruit high calibre teachers.

Grammar schools were closed in the county the year I took the 11 plus but all of the ex-grammar schools were the ones that everyone wanted to go to and my parents couldn't afford to live in the catchment area.

45 years on the ex-grammar schools are still sought after and select pupils (against county council policy), not based on academic performance but on perceived wealth - based on expensive housing.

The other schools often beat them on Ofsted performance.

Local employers still seem to prefer kids from the ex-grammar schools though (again probably better turned out).

I think the quality of teaching has changed over the years and one Maths teacher that we were close to (who helped both daughter and son to get to Uni) suddenly passed away a couple of years back and it was such a shock.

Both kids are still in contact with their better teachers.
 Electric Shavers. - Bromptonaut
>> Both kids are still in contact with their better teachers.

Mine too keep in contact with those they found inspiring, particularly those who taught them Music, History and English.

Whether they were better than science or games teachers is another question.
Latest Forum Posts