Non-motoring > Makita drill/battery question Miscellaneous
Thread Author: hawkeye Replies: 13

Makita drill/battery question - hawkeye
About 10 years ago, when my handyman business justified it, I bought 2 Makita 8390D drills with 3 NiCd batteries and a charger. The batteries are orange 1822 18v 2.0Ah items.
Now I want to buy a (used) impact driver that will take the 1822 battery but, as it's so long ago I don't know where to start looking. Can anyone help me find an old catalogue or indeed tell me if Makita made an impact driver (and its model number) to take the 1822 battery?

Thanks in advance.

PS If any of you are closet caravanners, you may have seen this on another forum. Apologies for the repetition.
 Makita drill/battery question - Zero
>> About 10 years ago, when my handyman business justified it, I bought 2 Makita 8390D
>> drills with 3 NiCd batteries and a charger. The batteries are orange 1822 18v 2.0Ah
>> items.
>> Now I want to buy a (used) impact driver that will take the 1822 battery
>> but, as it's so long ago I don't know where to start looking. Can anyone
>> help me find an old catalogue or indeed tell me if Makita made an impact
>> driver (and its model number) to take the 1822 battery?

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Makita-18v-8390d-Drill-And-Impact-Driver-Set-With-Batteries-Charger-And-Case-/252727323018

Personally, I'd buy a new impact driver with Li-on batteries.
 Makita drill/battery question - sherlock47
A friend who is a 'trade user' has given up on Makita. 10 years ago they were excellent but in the intervening period accountants seem to have got hold of the design department. He got fed up with replacing parts on year old machines About 2 years ago his choice was Erbauer which wins on a price/performance basis. Screwfix also have a an exchange warranty scheme which is no questions asked basis. My Erbauer Li-on seems well built and no problems so far.
 Makita drill/battery question - devonite
After an intensive search (I was bored!) I can't find a single impact wrench that uses your 1822 battery!- you can however get an adaptor to convert your 1822 tools to li-ion batteries and these are fairly reasonable on price, certainly cheaper than buying new tools. I would imagine that by now your existing batteries are fairly well along their life-cycle, so maybe this is the way to go? - Makita make plenty of impact drivers that use the li-ion batteries.
 Makita drill/battery question - DP
I have a Makita li-ion drill and screwdriver and can confirm that the li-ion batteries are excellent. I have the 3.0Ah (mid size) pack, and for general DIY use it is more than up to the job.

For example, on a single charge:

I put a trellis up on a 7m garden wall wall which, due to the shape of the wall, necessitated a couple of separate mounting rails to be installed along the length of the wall, with the trellis screwed to those. This involved a couple of dozen holes into solid brick for the rail mounts, another dozen holes into wood to assemble the rail, then the pilot holes and driving the screws in to mount the trellis itself.

The following day, we re-kitted out daughter's bedroom from IKEA. Used the screwdriver function to assemble a bed, large wardrobe, desk and vanity unit.

After all this, the battery still had 25% remaining according to the indicator, and there was no drop in performance. To recharge the battery takes only 30 minutes. For DIY use, you can manage quite happily without a spare battery, as long as you start with a full charge, and in any case, a recharge can be quite easily completed during a lunch break.

My battery is about 2 years old now, and there has been no noticeable drop in performance at all.
 Makita drill/battery question - Mapmaker
I too have exactly the same set up. I have a spare battery, and it's fair to say that I've never used two batteries in one go.

It's a bit lightweight for drilling into concrete, but otherwise it's fab and the battery goes on forever.

Make sure you get the pro one, though, not the amateur one which has white on the case; the latter has plastic gears, the former metal (iirc).
Thanks for the input. I'm trying to be minimalist here and not introduce another battery and charger into the garage which was why I asked the original question.

>> After an intensive search (I was bored!) I can't find a single impact wrench that uses your 1822 battery!

I think Zero's link shows one. I would just like one that isn't suspect in operation.

Makita drill/battery question - rtj70
This was on the page Zero linked to when I looked:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Makita-Impact-Body-Only/253875959688?_trkparms=aid%3D888007%26algo%3DDISC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D52543%26meid%3D1498b39a12a44c25a2c3630a3fa26ede%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D252727323018%26itm%3D253875959688&_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982

Whether it really works is another thing. How close are you to Bradford to bring a battery to try it?
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 12 Oct 18 at 18:50
 Makita drill/battery question - Duncan
Gordon Bennett!

275 characters! Is it worth it?

Whatever happened to tinyurl?
>>Whatever happened to tinyurl?

This website should sort it. That's what should happen.

Links on other sites are just shown within formatting limits but the full link should work. Why should we have to use Tiny URL or similar?
 Makita drill/battery question - sooty123
. Why should we have to use Tiny URL or similar?
>>

Because this site is old and clunky, it doesn't work like that.
 Makita drill/battery question - VxFan
>> Whatever happened to tinyurl?

Wasn't required in this particular case because it word wrapped itself correctly.

However, ebay links can quite often be shortened down like the Auto Trader ones. Anything after the long line of numbers can be omitted.

i.e.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Makita-Impact-Body-Only/253875959688
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 13 Oct 18 at 21:25
Didn't know that VxFan. If It'd known I'd have edited. If it hadn't wrapped around I'd have also edited it to a TinyURL but didn't need to as it happens. :-)
Right I think we're getting somewhere. The model I'm after is a Makita 6936. That's what was in the box in Zero's post. A few on Ebay including a brand new one. Let's see what happens now ...
Latest Forum Posts