Non-motoring > Are You Working Class? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Duncan Replies: 65

Are You Working Class? - Duncan
Are you working Class?

Yes, I know you work, but are you working class?

Well, you can't be unless you answer these questions correctly.

tinyurl.com/y8tg5n9y - links to www.thedailymash.co.uk
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 8 Oct 18 at 10:23
 Are You Working Class? - Cliff Pope
Minus 3
 Are You Working Class? - No FM2R
Minus 1
 Are You Working Class? - R.P.
Minus 3
 Are You Working Class? - movilogo
(-1)
 Are You Working Class? - Zero
Zero
 Are You Working Class? - Bromptonaut
Greggs next door but two to work and App only absent by oversight.

Books. Lots of books. No big deal about them.

Both colours of sauce

On other side;

Old furniture

Record player.

Breadmaker until we sacrificed it's company for space a few weeks ago.

Are You Working Class? - Old Navy
I don't need a test, I worked, therefore I am. I have no pretensions of being posh.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 7 Oct 18 at 21:05
>> I don't need a test, I worked, therefore I am. I have no pretensions of
>> being posh.

Posh? you barely make civilised.
You have civilisation south of the wall?
And decent weather
Sometimes. :-)
 Are You Working Class? - tyrednemotional
>> You have civilisation south of the wall?
>>

Trump's?.....
Last edited by: tyrednemotional on Sun 7 Oct 18 at 22:44
 Are You Working Class? - sherlock47
Surely the most reliable indicator is if you partake in this survey. :)
 Are You Working Class? - helicopter
Minus two overall.

Only Plus is Books ...hundreds of them....

Minus old furniture, record player,breadmaker....

Last edited by: helicopter on Mon 8 Oct 18 at 10:37
 Are You Working Class? - Mapmaker
I think you've just made a big deal of those books, so no longer get the plus point.
 Are You Working Class? - Cliff Pope
>> I think you've just made a big deal of those books, so no longer get
>> the plus point.
>>

Last year I built a library in the garden to ease space in the house, which was overflowing with books. It's based on an octagonal turret on the roof of the Winter Palace in St Petersburg, painted chalky lime/torquoise with the pilasters picked out in white.
But I don't make a big deal about it - every gentleman has one, doesn't he?
 Are You Working Class? - CGNorwich
0f course.I call mine “The Kindle”.
>> 0f course.I call mine “The Kindle”.

But then you claim not have an array of electronic toys
Only to keep the servants happy.
 Are You Working Class? - devonite
I think we're 1 level below 1 level below working class! - but we owe no-one nowt and we're happy! so thats good enough for us!
 Are You Working Class? - sooty123
>> I think we're 1 level below 1 level below working class!

Non working class?

;-)
>>I think we're 1 level below 1 level below working class! - but we owe no-one nowt and we're happy! so thats good enough for us! >>

I will join you in that category, my policy was and still is retire debt free and stay that way.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 8 Oct 18 at 13:19
>> Only to keep the servants happy.

Do they press the "next page" button for you?
 Are You Working Class? - helicopter
So minus three then...

What class does that make me?

Whatever I am now I was definitely from working class stock and proud of it.
>>from working class stock and proud of it.

Absolutely not making any personal comment. so don't go and get all insulted

Why would people be any more or less proud of working class than anything else? Actually I don't really understand being proud of being from any particular class. Seems a bit Orwellian to be proud of being classified.

But that to one side, why the pride? Surely everybody strives to be better? That being so, assuming you accept the class system, wouldn't we all be aspiring to the next one 'up' [if 'up' is the word]?

Going by that link that Movilogo put up I am classified as working class. I can't say such a thing matters to me one way or the other, but I doubt many people would be comfortable with describing me as working class.

I am proud of the family I came from. I am not particularly proud or caring about what class they are described as being. In fact, I think it is rather belittling of individuality and individual effort.

I think it's all rather a nonsense.

Do you have to work to be working class?
Formal definitions of various classes:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_class_in_the_United_Kingdom
 Are You Working Class? - Runfer D'Hills
Some would ( possibly accurately ) say I have no class... ;-)

But seriously, are we still talking about this? It just feels so very outdated as a measure of society. I know there are those who believe in all that stuff but I only judge others by how well intentioned or otherwise they seem to be towards the rest of the human race. Categorising people by their wealth, accent, educational background or whatever seems to me to be a deeply flawed method of analysis. Good guys or bad guys is all you really need to know.
>> Categorising people by their wealth, accent, educational background or whatever seems to me to be a deeply flawed method of analysis.

While I agree with you principle, in reality all big businesses do it openly so that they can "tailor" the "right" product for you.

Age, wealth/income, education and post codes are often most important factors in those customer segment analysis. Even our benefits system works under such classification (corrected politically).

Hierarchy (written or unwritten) exists everywhere.

>>Hierarchy (written or unwritten) exists everywhere.

And is a terrible way of measuring. According to that link you posted above, my job title categorises me as "elite" which is a charming and warming thought, but wildly inaccurate. ;-)
There is an associated concept called Power Distance Index. This is roughly how easily you can challenge your superior.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_distance

In UK it is quite easy to challenge your boss but no so in other parts of world - this includes some European countries too.

In many parts of the world, before interacting with you, the other party will first place you into "social slots" and then depending on which slot you fall (to his/her eyes) will interact accordingly.
In many countries (including some advanced nations like S Korea, Japan) older people automatically command more respect. In fact, I heard in Korea they would first ask your age so that they can place you in "slots" correctly.

UK is far better, at least here everyone is treated with same respect by default.

UK is also one of the least racists countries in the world.
 Are You Working Class? - commerdriver
My late mother would be horrified at the idea of me being working class, she spent her entire life trying to make sure I would not be.
I do come from very much working class roots, tenement flat in Glasgow, followed by council high rise etc but don't give class a lot of thought now, I am what I am.

Slightly horrified in recent years to find out levels of poverty and disadvantage of other kinds in the relatively "posh" area in which we live. I don't think class is anything like our parents or grandparents would have understood it.
It's all a bit monkey brain stuff to me. Monkeys distrust the other ones who live in a different tree.
 Are You Working Class? - Ambo
The hieratical class structure in the UK is alive and well but there is an economic structure wound up in it, hence it is a socio economic structure. This means social divisions are blurred but they still persist.

....I think you've got to be upper-class to understand wot he just wrote......
>> ....I think you've got to be upper-class to understand wot he just wrote......
Not really, most of the upper class have been educated beyond their mental and intellectual capacity, Take Bojo for example.
Let the ruling classes tremble at a Communistic revolution. The proletarians have nothing to lose but their chains. They have a world to win.
You're not from Tooting, are you?
>> You're not from Tooting, are you?
>>

My Mrs is, scary!
CG, Orwell pointed out, from analysis of Post Office Savings Bank records, that the British proletariat has far more to lose than its chains. Zero, I am having trouble with the concept of people who can be educated beyond their mental and intellectual capacity. Is that logically possible?

Incidentally, I am a former council house boy and I used to find my own POSB account invaluable.

Freedom in capitalist society always remains about the same as it was in ancient Greek republics: Freedom for slave owners.

Vladimir Lenin
>> Zero, I am having trouble with
>> the concept of people who can be educated beyond their mental and intellectual capacity. Is
>> that logically possible?

Well yes, Take Boris for example. He was educated at Eton and Oxford, where they poured the foundation of latin and and English history into his brain filler cap, and it overflowed about at about the 1945 level, leaving it full of literary quotes, empire and Winston Churchill.

That left no room for modern history, economics, engineering, physics, diplomacy, etc etc...
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 9 Oct 18 at 16:06
 Are You Working Class? - Mapmaker
LOL.

Boris I suggest is one of the most intelligent people in politics. Whether that correlates with being perfect Prime Ministerial fodder is quite a separate matter.
I am undecided.

If he's smart, then he has no common sense.

www.theguardian.com/politics/video/2013/mar/24/boris-johnson-accused-nasty-video
 Are You Working Class? - Lygonos
Eddie Mair is a boss - miss him from PM.
 Are You Working Class? - Bromptonaut
>> Eddie Mair is a boss - miss him from PM.

Absolutely but his permanent replacement is Evan Davis who is pretty smart too.
>> Boris I suggest is one of the most intelligent people in politics.

Boris, I suggest, is a prize **** on virtually all levels, providing almost-daily proof that there is a huge difference between education and intellect, not only at a dictionary level.

;-)
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 12 Oct 18 at 02:09
Does not a high level of education - let's say, an Oxford degree - indicate a good intellect?
 Are You Working Class? - Pat
It may well indicate a good intellect ambo but it certainly doesn't indicate a good upbringing, manners, the respect of others or the ability to communicate at all levels

I know which I prefer.

Of course, some on this forum do have both and it shows by the way they treat others.

That's breeding and cannot be taught at Uni.

Pat

Ha ha ha.

You really need to change the record.
Stalking again?

Pat
Why would I do that? Do you think that something about you would interest me? Like what?

This is a forum. Responding to what others write is what it is for. It's not just for making ridiculous and wrong statements and then running away crying about people asking you difficult questions.

Are You Working Class? - sooty123
> Of course, some on this forum do have both and it shows by the way
>> they treat others.
>>
>> That's breeding and cannot be taught at Uni.
>>

I'm not so sure about that, surely manners etc are learnt. What would 'breeding' have to do with it?
Breeding as far as I'm concerned, means it is normal behaviour that someone has been brought up with from birth.

It doesn't have to be taught when that happens.

Pat
Manners are usually taught by parents, some have a poor upbringing, some are unpleasant people, like the bullies of this world. Education or class has little to do with it.
>> Does not a high level of education - let's say, an Oxford degree - indicate
>> a good intellect?

No, not even remotely.
 Are You Working Class? - Lygonos
He got an upper second class degree, "but was deeply unhappy he didn't get a first"

Suggests the upper boundary of his intellectual prowess.

And this reflects his ongoing political skills and techniques:

"Johnson became a popular and well-known public figure at Oxford...In 1984, Johnson was elected secretary of the Oxford Union,before campaigning for the position of Union president, losing the election to Neil Sherlock.

In 1986, Johnson ran for president again, aided by undergraduate Frank Luntz; his campaign focused on reaching out from his established upper-class support base by emphasising his persona and downplaying his connections to the Conservatives.

Hoping to court their vote, Johnson associated with university groups affiliated with the centrist Social Democratic Party (SDP) and Liberal Party. Luntz later alleged that Johnson portrayed himself as an SDP supporter during the campaign, although Johnson claims no recollection of this.

Johnson won the election and was appointed president, although his presidency was not seen as particularly distinguished or memorable, and questions were raised regarding his competency and seriousness."

Wikipedia
...no. Though the two are not mutually exclusive.

In Boris's case, my opinion is that they don't coexist, and that a high level of education indicates only a high level of (expensively purchased) education.
Pat, the debate was about education and intellect, not manners and communication skills. (Admittedly, if moderators demanded that posters stick to the point, this forum would die.)

Neither, Lygonos, did I imply that Boris is a genius, although a "Tutu" in old money was a higher qualification than the present versions. I am not a fan but it should be remembered that, unlike most senior politicians, Boris has successfully fulfilled a big role, as Mayor of London.
>>........it should be remembered that, unlike most senior politicians, Boris has successfully
>> fulfilled a big role, as Mayor of London......

...I think you would find varied views on whether he "successfully" filled that role (which is, of course, only another senior political role anyway).

He left rather too many unanswered questions about things such as "The Garden Bridge", and his recent (non-)voting behaviour re: Heathrow compared with his previous stance (including that when Mayor) reveals rather a lot about his ethics.

>> >>........it should be remembered that, unlike most senior politicians, Boris has successfully
>> >> fulfilled a big role, as Mayor of London......
>>
>> ...I think you would find varied views on whether he "successfully" filled that role (which
>> is, of course, only another senior political role anyway).

Not sure he actually achieved much in that role.
>>Pat, the debate was about education and intellect, not manners and communication skills. (Admittedly, if moderators demanded that posters stick to the point, this forum would die.)<<

I do so humbly apologise for making a comment on a discussion forum.

Could I respectfully mention that your forum name annoys my pedantic nature?

Surely it should have a capital A:)

Pat
I will try to amend it for you.
Thank you, that will relieve the stress!

Pat
 Are You Working Class? - zippy
>> >> Boris I suggest is one of the most intelligent people in politics.
>>
>> Boris, I suggest, is a prize **** on virtually all levels, providing almost-daily proof that
>> there is a huge difference between education and intellect, not only at a dictionary level.
>>
>> ;-)
>>

Boris is a good guy!

He is generous - see all the women that he has given beds to.
He knows the classics - see the poem he recited at the temple in Myanmar.
He helps fellow citizens - just ask Mrs Zaghari-Ratcliffe
He is totally trustworthy - I am sure David, Theresa and his wife with attest to that.

Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 12 Oct 18 at 02:09
Latest Forum Posts