Non-motoring > Recommended read and film Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 7

Recommended read and film - R.P.
Took out a Sky Movies subscription as it was being offered at 1/2 price.One of the must-sees for me was Sully, which I missed on cinema release and refused to pay Amazon to watch ! What a great film - Tom Hanks never makes a bad movie. On the back of the film I bought "Fly by Wire" an account of the event by William Langewieshe. What a great book.The actual narrative of the event is brief, but each phase of the incident is backed up by decent technical reportage. Cracking holiday read. When I get home, I'll re-watch the film in a new light. Both highly recommended.
 Recommended read and film - helicopter
We had a long thread last year about the film when it first came out.

I agree with you that it is an excellent film.I have not read the book but will now look out for it .
 Recommended read and film - henry k
The film Spitfire was very good. I saw it at its one time country wide showing but now on DVD.

Film " They shall not grow old" is the next one on a similar release - 16 OCT.
 Recommended read and film - No FM2R
Here is a 60 Minutes programme. It's a bit American, but stick with it, because there's some great thoughts from Sullenberger in interviews.

Sullenberger talks about struggling to forgive himself for not having done better. FFS, how?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQVGglYOhEg
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 4 Oct 18 at 11:08
The book seems pretty non partisan in apportioning credit to the aircraft (hence the fly by wire title) and the pilot's ability, professionalism and knowledge of the aircraft. The ability of the aircraft's IT systems to maintain the "glide" and his early (instinctive) decision to turn on the APU on "early" on. A remarkable bit of flying.
 Recommended read and film - No FM2R
I believe one of the criticisms of the film was that it included suggestions that in the early part of the investigation there'd been some suspicion of pilot error which it implied he needed to defend himself against.

Apparently that was not the case.
In the book it mentions briefly the test pilot thing in the simulators being able to land until they added the 30 second delay then they crashed every time. No doubt the film dramatized the NTSA hearing to add some tension. Damn good read.
 Recommended read and film - sooty123
. No
>> doubt the film dramatized the NTSA hearing to add some tension. Damn good read.
>>

Indeed, the NTSB (?) were a bit miffed they were portrayed the way they were in the film, not just in the hearing scenes bit throughout.
Latest Forum Posts