Non-motoring > 36 is too old for stairs Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Mapmaker Replies: 15

36 is too old for stairs - Mapmaker
www.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-sports/45714174

"Was it worth it?" Discuss.
 36 is too old for stairs - Dog
>>Was it worth it?"

Jesus! .. No IMHO. I'm 66, walk 4 x times per week + lift weights 3 x times per week and wonder if I'm doing too much!
 36 is too old for stairs - commerdriver
Probably a little bot less than the training & body damage from that level of competitive sport to be fair.
Would she have done the same if she had known the damage it was doing to her, probably. Shows how sport has moved on in its intensity and the levels of fitness and joint/muscle damage to reach the top in many sports, look at Andy Murray as another example.
 36 is too old for stairs - legacylad
Very understandable after intensive sport for many years. Last week my best friend joined me in Spain. I’m a few hours older than him. We played pub football together for a few years until i gave up (sick of being kicked up in the air by yobs). We both skied 2 weeks a year, played 5 a side 2 evenings a week and took up squash together in our early twenties, playing twice nightly on the other 5 evenings.
Two falls whilst climbing, and unsuccessful bone grafts on my right wrist, meant I had to give up all racquet sports whilst he continued. I took up low impact long distance walking.
Now, aged 63, he just about gets around a golf course, whilst although I can’t run (arthritic hip as a result of bone being scraped off it in an early days op) my knees and joints are fine.
In hindsight my wrist breakages were a blessing in disguise as continued competitive squash would probably have knackered my knees and I’d also be in a bungalow...no more skiing, long distance walking or strenuous gym workouts.
 36 is too old for stairs - sooty123
She obviously thought it was, I suppose that's all that matters.
 36 is too old for stairs - bathtub tom
My SWMBO keeps telling me that if we give up stairs, we won't be able to manage steps of any sort.
I think a bungalow would be a damn sight easier to clean the windows and gutters!
 36 is too old for stairs - Zero
your daughter speak with fork tongue

Not had an "upstairs" for 18 years. Last week we were up and down the steps in Whitby like Gazelles
 36 is too old for stairs - Dog
Funnily enuff, in the 22 years and 5 properties we've had since emigrating to Cornwall, all the previous properties have been 'single story dwellings' one of which was a converted piggery in Warleggan.

So now, both aged 66, we live in a cottage and, although I attack the stairs 2 at a time (going up) like when I was 16, I don't like coming down 'em and am very careful (unlike when I was 16) and always hold on to the banister.

Justin Case.
 36 is too old for stairs - Stuu
I remember very clearly age 33 being unable to stand, wondering just what the heck I had done. Turned out it was just wear & tear in multiple places and while I have exercises that keep me mostly mobile, the physio said that eventually it would catch up with me again.

I remember thinking how could it be possible to have arthritis in 5 different places before I was 35, but apparently in certain trades it is very common, but that is life, one just plods on and tries not to make it worse - I now live in a 3 storey house, bedroom on the top floor, naturally!
 36 is too old for stairs - Pat
Was it worth it?

When I first started lorry driving handball loads were commonplace and the main reason I couldn’t find an employer to take a female on.

I was always told I wouldn’t be able to do it.

Eventually one rang me to do a day’s work from Newhaven dock on a Bank Holiday Monday, but it was handball potatoes. I agreed as long as he gave me a job if I managed it.

22 empty pallets were loaded on the trailer and it was my job to stack 45 x22kilo bags on each pallet from the huge dock pallets

That’s 7 layers of 42 bags and 3 bags on top.

Because I was not very tall the only way I could manage was to do 5 layers and then put a layer on the pallet in front so I was climbing up to reach the last 9 bags of each pallet which of course, took its toll on knees and hips.

I managed to rope and sheet the load and get it safely back home and finally got the job.

I went on to do this at least 3 times a week for the next 2 years and is most certainly the reason I have Arthritis in my spine, neck, hips and knees as well as hands, but was it worth it?

Even if I had known the pain it would cause me later I wouldn’t have changed a thing. The challenge alone made it worthwhile. The personal achievement when so many had doubted me was worth it and it was my passport to another 28 years doing a job I loved every minute of.

Nothing was hard after that.

Pat
 36 is too old for stairs - devonite
>> 45 x22kilo bags on each pallet

Lucky you weren't on the sugar - beet nuts! - 1cwt paper sacks that were set rock hard, they were work you knew about afterwards ;-)

P.s

You wouldn't have been able to do it! ;-)))
I never loaded them Devonite but I unloaded by hand many of them and yes, they are hard!

We used to pick up loaded flat trailers with them mostly for South Wales, and it was my job to stand them up on the side of the trailer and drop them on the farmer's shoulder.

If he was nasty about a female driver I used to drop them on his ear:)

I've dug a few tonnes out of the back of a tipper trailer though that had set like concrete and wouldn't shift.

We are just about 18 miles from Wissington Beet Factory so there is a lot of work out of there.

Pat
& they stink.
You are absolutely right Mapmaker!

....but I'd love to know how you know that?

Pat

Never walked through a field of sugarbeet? Never walked past a pile of rotting sugarbeet?
 36 is too old for stairs - sooty123
Never walked past a pile of rotting sugarbeet?
>>

i was just going to say the same thing, no end of piles of them rotting away by the side of the road near our old house. One was near the back gate, as soon as you took the dog for a walk you could smell them.
Latest Forum Posts