Non-motoring > It was the foxes wot dun it guv. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: CGNorwich Replies: 12

It was the foxes wot dun it guv. - CGNorwich

'Croydon cat killer' mystery solved by police - www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-45588088

And people say our police force is overstretched!
 It was the foxes wot dun it guv. - Bromptonaut
As somebody who regards cats as an urban menace leaving crap and dismembered song birds in my garden I kind of sympathise with CGN's point about police.

I suspect however if there was a human dismembering much loved pets the public would sayit justified police time.

If I read report correctly investigations of cat murders were allocated to specific officer(s). That seems more efficient, if there are patterns to identify, than leaving it to random community constables or PCSOs
 It was the foxes wot dun it guv. - Old Navy
I stay in a house a bit to the west of Croydon when in london. There is a small area to the rear with a few foxes, the people I stay with have a cat and it is not unusual to see foxes in the rear garden. They seem to have enough sense not to bother each other.
 It was the foxes wot dun it guv. - Ambo
>>They seem to have enough sense not to bother each other.

Right. Foxes are often seen in our garden. I spotted one trotting down a path, trailed by our young Burmese cat. The fox kept turning to snarl at this little pest but did not attack him. On another occasion, I saw a one-metre equilateral triangle of a large fox and two other of our cats on the lawn, all sprawling at their ease.
 It was the foxes wot dun it guv. - Pat
Yes ambo, we often see clips on the wildlife cam in the garden of a fox and one of our cats walking past in no hurry at all. They seem happy to share the same space.

As do our hedgehogs who we feed every evening. Another clip showed one of our cats and a hedgehog eating out of the same bowl.

Nature is a wonderful thing.

Pat
 It was the foxes wot dun it guv. - Zero
I can assure you that if a fox finds a dead cat it will rip chunks out of it, as will several foxes who find a single live cat

A single fox is a cringy cowardly thing, a couple or more of foxes together is a crowd of traveling football hooligans and twice as nasty
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 21 Sep 18 at 13:31
Foxes never hunt in packs. Although they will sometimes live in groups they are solitary hunters.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Fri 21 Sep 18 at 13:42
An adult cat is too big a prey for a fox. What the evidence shows is that foxes are are scavengers and quite happy to dismember and eat road kill including dead cats of which there must be a substantial number in an area the size of Croydon.

Fairly obvious answer really. Why anyone should leap to the conclusion that there was a deranged cat killer on the loose is rather odd.
 It was the foxes wot dun it guv. - Lygonos
>> Why anyone should leap to the conclusion that there was a deranged cat killer on the loose is rather odd.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-45588575

Why not. Lots of -paths start their careers harming animals.

Possible but not the most likely explanation. A better story for the tabloids I suppose than “Cat Killed By Car in Croydon”
 It was the foxes wot dun it guv. - sooty123
>> Fairly obvious answer really. Why anyone should leap to the conclusion that there was a
>> deranged cat killer on the loose is rather odd.
>>

Probably because of stories like this at the time

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-35598232
 It was the foxes wot dun it guv. - Rudedog
Although I live outside of Croydon I’ve worked there for all of my life (32 years at the same trust) and this is still a big topic with staff and relatives.

My understanding is that the examiners only looked at a handful of the cat remains to come to this conclusion, and from the first hand discussions I’ve had with staff many of the mutilations could not have been carried out by a fox!

Cats that have just had their heads, ears or tails removed without damage to the body, cats that have been disemboweled and then laid out neatly on lawns or doorsteps of the owners.

Also it seems that this activity is only confined to the SE, if it’s foxes why hasn’t there been numerous reports in Wales and Scotland?

From what I’ve been hearing putting this solely down to foxes doesn’t seem right.

Read the report. The scientific and video evidence is pretty conclusive. Of course ithe story has now achieved the status of urban myth so there will always be believers in the mad cat killer theory. It’s just a better story.
Latest Forum Posts