Non-motoring > Uni Digs Bust Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 13

Uni Digs Bust - zippy
My youngest is starting his second year on Monday.

The estate agent has just called to say the house him and his mates have paid a deposit on is suddenly no longer available as the landlord has not been paying the mortgage.

Deposits will be refunded as will fees but what an abolute PITA with only 3 days to go!
 Uni Digs Bust - Zero
And I bet it wasnt a buy to let mortgage either.
 Uni Digs Bust - Ambo
Doesn't the uni have some kind of accommodation office that could help find somewhere quickly? Mine used to.
 Uni Digs Bust - zippy
>> Doesn't the uni have some kind of accommodation office that could help find somewhere quickly?
>> Mine used to.
>>

Yes they do. They have no spare rooms in halls and referred the group to "Rightmove" and "StudentPad".

Great help!
 Uni Digs Bust - Bromptonaut
>> Yes they do. They have no spare rooms in halls and referred the group to
>> "Rightmove" and "StudentPad".
>>
>> Great help!

May be worth finding out if there's a wait list for halls. There are a few Freshers every year who either no-show or decide Uni life is not for them.
 Uni Digs Bust - Ambo
Quite, exactly what happened with a 150-room residence hall I once wardened.
 Uni Digs Bust - zippy
>> Quite, exactly what happened with a 150-room residence hall I once wardened.
>>

I would have thought so as well but apparently they won't know until later next week and lessons start Monday.
 Uni Digs Bust - Duncan
Sleeping on the floor for a few days will strengthen their intestinal fortitude.

I've never told you about when I did National service, have I?
 Uni Digs Bust - Dog
>>I've never told you about when I did National service, have I?

When they were feeding 'em and not needing 'em I'll wager.

:-)
 Uni Digs Bust - zippy
Went up yesterday with an appointment to see a couple of places, packed with his clobber for the year (much less than his sister's was).

By the time we got there, the second appointment had been cancelled by the agents.

First place, which was the front runner from descriptions and photos was in reality appalling.

I didn't go in to start as I was on the mobile, but when I did, the look on his face said it all, a mix of I really don't like this but it's the only place left.

I wouldn't let him stick that for a year and was ready to take him back home to try again next week.

Last ditch phone call to another agent on a place we had seen in photos previously but couldn't get the hold of the landlord. Agent confirms 6 (5 double bed) 1990's house with lounge and one bedroom already taken. Looks like its been empty for a while and he was just finishing off painting the front door when we got there and didn't expect a student rental this year.

It was a gem. Negotiated price and explained situation with the landlord. He talks to the agent and everything is put in place by 6PM, credit checks and all. Quick call to his mates who were in the same situation and they are now all settled in this new place. Its about 20 minutes from the by foot and on an estate. There were clearly several student houses on the close but it all appears to be well maintained.

Got home at 2AM because the Dartford Tunnel was closed. Took 3 hours to cross the bridge from the A13. Should have gone the long way around - it would have been quicker!

Uni Digs Bust - rtj70
Glad it's all sorted - must have been a very stressful day.
 Uni Digs Bust - zippy
It was the first time I've got a hug from him in years!
 Uni Digs Bust - No FM2R
Bless, that's nice. Well done to you both.
 Uni Digs Bust - Fullchat
Awww! Pleased you are sorted.

Both ours (Twin girls) went to Leeds Uni at the same time.

To cut a long story very short one was sorted with modern excellent en-suite accommodation bang in the middle of Leeds.
The other was searching through the remnants and ended up in a pokey room in a mixed corridor with shared facilities in Headingley. Shes a real home girl and not a party animal unlike the rest of the corridor.
It was the pits to be fair and it took its toll on her.
Eventually we managed to get a move on health grounds and she moved into a tower block in the centre of Leeds (next to the Arena). Her corridor mates were all final year International students and she couldn't have been happier :)
It didn't help when I happened to mention that the Rippers final victim, Jacqueline Hill, was murdered on the road to the first set of accommodation.
Last edited by: Fullchat on Sun 23 Sep 18 at 19:24
Latest Forum Posts