Non-motoring > Going for Probate   [Read only] Legal Questions
Thread Author: busbee Replies: 5

Going for Probate - busbee
I am aiming to have probate for my wife's estate. She recently passed on.

The WILL is very clear, I am the person chosen to have the probate. And everything is for me. We were tenants in common.

So tax will be due on the combined value of 50% of the house plus the bank money, which is then expected to exceed £325k.

To even start the process of going for Probate, I have to show what that combined sum will be and "pay a substantial amount of the tax due" before I can go for probate. So says a gov site.

How simple can the submitted A/Cs be? I have an A4 bank printout of all the A/C numbers plus the amount of money in each of the accounts. It would be nice to just add those together and add in the odd one. The submit that in a letter.

Or do they expect more detail? (I am not an accountant). Or is there a special form on which those have to be written?

Anyone already been through this?

Going for Probate - No FM2R
Am I losing the plot or did we just do this already?

Yes there was a lot about Probate problems. When I last looked I did not see anything about the doing what I asked here. I want to send off without it getting returned to me. I will have another look.

Going for Probate - No FM2R
Ok, and since none of us mentioned it before, may I offer my deepest sympathies.

The most relevant piece of advice was "seek professional advice".

Another major point is that there should be no tax.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 17 Sep 18 at 23:03

Just clicked Zero's hot link to a form to fill in. I'll try looking at that. The other stuff uses a solicitor and I want to avoid that.

Sorry. My query was not getting answered in the other thread, after quite some time, so I started this new thread and was intending to go back to it to ask the mods to remove it. I now see that Zero picked it up. and answers my question. That makes this thread not needed.
Thanks zero.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

See any follow up replies to this question in THIS thread

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 18 Sep 18 at 02:22
Latest Forum Posts