Non-motoring > It's almost Fresher time for poor & not so poor Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 14

It's almost Fresher time for poor & not so poor - Falkirk Bairn
Advert in St Andrews for 13 staff to look after an Indian student. House & 5 acres of grounds purchased & necessitates a gardener, as well as maids, housekeepers, chauffeur

Her ultra wealthy parents will visit now & then.

tinyurl.com/ybz688xo

When I was at Uni there were many from wealthy backgrounds, sons/daughters of Lords, Earls etc, industrialists etc etc but not on this scale! At my secondary school one of the Home Econ teachers arrived chauffeur driven every day - her father, 2 x brothers were wealthy local employers of some 1500 people & had 3/4 chauffeurs between them.

It's almost Fresher time for poor & not so poor - legacylad
The daughter of an ex of mine attended St Andrews, and 12 years ago her mother had the opportunity to buy the property which housed 4 students. Not doing so proved a large regret.
It’s a fair old drive up there on a wet Friday night from Yorkshire after work!
 It's almost Fresher time for poor & not so poor - sooty123
Sounds like they are incredibly wealthy, I suppose it's what the child has been brought up in and knows no different.

Can't say I went to university, at school we thought if someone could afford a new car they were considered rich.
 It's almost Fresher time for poor & not so poor - Fullchat
Remind me again why we are sending 'Aid Money' to India please.
 It's almost Fresher time for poor & not so poor - Lygonos
As sweeteners to get contracts from this student's family obviously.
 It's almost Fresher time for poor & not so poor - Bromptonaut
>> Remind me again why we are sending 'Aid Money' to India please.

There are a very small number of very rich people in India. Short of confiscation of assets that money was never going to help the very much larger proportion of the population living in poverty lacking access to water and sanitation.

How much of aid we send there finds it's way back in orders for British goods or services?
 It's almost Fresher time for poor & not so poor - sherlock47
Reminds me of the story of a 12 year old boarder at the private school where Mrs S worked. On her first day having been abandoned by her driver she asked for her dresser. It turned out she had never got herself dressed without help. Needless to say, not from the UK, but one of the Gulf States.
 It's almost Fresher time for poor & not so poor - Dave_
I once delivered a brand new Maserati coupe to a pupil at Roedean. She lived in one of the huge several £million houses on the approach road to the school and for the delivery I was given her PA's phone number.

She had a 6 month old Audi TTS but it was too small, so Daddy had made a few phone calls. Her first comment when I showed her how to start the engine was, "Does it make THAT noise every time? I don't like it."

Why he didn't just send her a Range Rover Sport I do not know.
 It's almost Fresher time for poor & not so poor - devonite
Talking of "spoilt offspring" - When I worked on farm relief, one of the farmers sons, 18yr old was driving around in a Maserati Bora! - and currently a local "scrote" 28yrs old(for want of a better description) who has never worked a day in his life, is driving around in a 1yr old Bentley Saloon!!! - how can he get away without suspicion from the Police or other Gov depts e.g DWP?
 It's almost Fresher time for poor & not so poor - MD
Well he is clearly 'getting away' with whatever. Best you use your contacts to ensure that his antics are soon curtailed.
 It's almost Fresher time for poor & not so poor - bathtub tom
I sold an old Corsa to a very pleasant couple who were buying it for their daughter. They 'phoned her to ask if she'd accept a gold coloured one. Her only concern was if it had a working CD player.

I wanted to leave a Max Bygraves CD in the player, but couldn't find one.
 It's almost Fresher time for poor & not so poor - Mapmaker
>>Her only concern was if it had a working CD player.

TBF probably the most important thing in a car.
 It's almost Fresher time for poor & not so poor - sherlock47
>> >>Her only concern was if it had a working CD player.
>>
>> TBF probably the most important thing in a car.
>>
>>

No, BT if no aux input! You are so 1990!
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Thu 13 Sep 18 at 11:06
 It's almost Fresher time for poor & not so poor - Cliff Pope
I'm told by young people who know these things that if a car is that old the most important thing is a cassette slot, because then you can plug in a sort of blank cassette that will connect to anything.
CD is intermediate tech - prone to failing, but nothing else will slot in.
 It's almost Fresher time for poor & not so poor - commerdriver
>> I'm told by young people who know these things that if a car is that
>> old the most important thing is a cassette slot, because then you can plug in
>> a sort of blank cassette that will connect to anything.
>>
That's what daughter does on her Mk4 Golf
Latest Forum Posts