Non-motoring > Goa going gone Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 31

Goa going gone - legacylad
It’s that time of year when I start to think about escaping the UK climate and the final run up to Christmas. A previous lifetime working in retail with nary a day off in the six weeks prior left me jaded to say the least.
Previously I’ve headed to Tenerife for 7/10 days, returning immediately before Christmas. It’s basically a vitamin D holiday, lots of reading, swimming and maybe a little exploring.
I’ll be travelling solo on this occasion....anyone been to that part of the world? A good quality hotel, close to or on the beach, and a well equipped gym.
I tried Gambia once. That was awful.
Any feedback would be much appreciated..Tui fly from MANC so without investigating further that’s my first option.
 Goa going gone - No FM2R
Predictably I have, though a few years ago now.

Interestingly both The Gambia and Goa have a Portuguese background, though in Goa this is now no more than the odd building.

I like Goa, I like it a lot. But it's a bit concerning that you don't like The Gambia, because that doesn't bode well for Goa.

I don't really think it's a great place to go solo. It can be a bit different and in my experience such things are best enjoyed with a mate to share it with. It is hot and humid at the moment, the humidity is the big use if you are not used to it. It's the end of the monsoon season about now.

Nov/Dec is their 'winter' such as it is and the weather is pleasant. It gets very, very busy with tourism.

The beaches are lovely, there are markets and the like to visit. You have to watch the food hygiene, but as long as you are careful you'll be fine.

As I said, I haven't been there for years, but other than getting busier and better equipped I doubt it's much different.

I like it, in small bursts, but I'm a bit surprised it's your sort of place. It is noisy, busy, crowded and wandering through the countryside is not really an option.

I'm afraid I don't know about the hotels, they will have changed since I was there..
Thanks No FM2R
The main weather criteria, apart from an improvement on Y Dales December weather, is humidity. It appears that the humidity in December in Goa is the lowest of the year, circa 64% compared to highs of 89%. Humidity has a direct correlation to my arthritic hip pain, which is a shame because it deters me from travelling to interesting places in the Far East. On a bitterly cold sunny day in the Alps I can ski all day with minimal pain. Unless I crash to the ground on a steep icy black run....which I try to avoid these days.
Gambia was several years ago. The Atlantic sea swell and crashing waves were too strong to swim in, you were constantly pestered on the beach with vendors, and everyone and his dog accosted you in the street offering you cheap taxis, trinkets, bars, even hookers. And the elderly matrons who had ‘rented’ young male companions for the duration of their stay was an eye opener even for me. Live and let live.
I arrived in Tenerife yesterday...booked two days ago when I saw my local forecast so alls well with the world. A nice contrast to my recent wild camping and backpacking trip, and a nice rest before taking my old Mum back to Moraira for two weeks later this month, accompanied by a couple of my female friends so she gets a change of conversation. The old girl (90) has paid for the lux villa and I’ve arranged her flights, car hire etc.
 Goa going gone - No FM2R
Honestly, I don't think Goa would work well for you.

Have you thought of Cape Verde? Seems to me that would suit many of your requirements.

Lovely place. Loads to do and see, loads of exploring possible. Beautiful beaches and idle sunbathing in front of a bar is also great. And absolutely ideal for swimming either in the sea or one of the inland pools.

Also, what about Oman? Bit different, probably suit you. One of the places I have not been to, but it's on the list.
 Goa going gone - John Boy
>> Honestly, I don't think Goa would work well for you.
>>
>>
Say it with music: www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hhzAgAzSr4
 Goa going gone - PeterS
I’d echo the view that Goa might not be the answer., though it’s 20 years since we went. I’ve ony briefly been to The Gambia, and that’s wasn’t, for us, a particularly relaxing trip. We stopped on our way to Senegal. Which was also an eye opener...

Kerala is a far more relaxing destination, though the humidity won’t work for you I don’t think. Oman is a good shout, and a very laid back place. Nothing like I expected it to be if I’m honest. Some fascinating history to be seen if you go inland. We stayed by the beach in Muscat, and it was sandy with a pretty shallow incline. Could walk straight from the hotel grounds, which were watered to an inch of their life and incredibly lush, straight on to the beach. Refreshingly low rise as well (or at least it was, in 2011)
 Goa going gone - sooty123
I went about 5 years ago to Oman, although in the south. Salalah is a nice temperature in the UK winter, the Indian ocean is nice and warm. Not humid at all, although I was out there in feb rather than dec, i doubt there's much difference humidity wise.
There's not too much choice of hotels on the beach front iirc but they are pleasant enough. Getting a drink isn't a problem if you want one.
There's an expat community but not excessively so like the costas, there's a few trips inland but not a huge amount. Surprisingly green in that area, I believe there is Arabia's only waterfall nearby although I never went far so can't speak much to it.
 Goa going gone - Zero

>> Have you thought of Cape Verde? Seems to me that would suit many of your
>> requirements.

Been pondering Cape Verde for a while now as a winter break, but I never assumed it had loads to do, just seemed to me to offer Hotel, Bar and Beach. And Wind,

Clearly I have missed something, can you elaborate?
 Goa going gone - CGNorwich
Yes I've looked at Cape Verde too but I also thought that there doesn't seem much there. It's that time of of the year when I start to look at winter holidays. I guess I will end up in the Canaries again. Either La Palma or La Gomera I guess although I did enjoy Lanzarote last year.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Sun 9 Sep 18 at 22:47
Thanks for the Oman idea. It never appeared on my radar.
I shall investigate, although current circumstances dictate that I always need to be home for Christmas.
My ex went to Cape Verde two years ago, and she is joining me, together with her Persian friend, on holiday with my old Mum in a few weeks so I’ll ask questions.
(Don’t ask. After initial unpleasantness we realised that civility was to everyone’s advantage, she gets on well with my Mum and phones her alternate days when I’m overseas, and I keep an eye on her elderly parents when she is away. Bitterness eats away at the soul).

That’s my proselytising over for the day....
 Goa going gone - No FM2R

As good a summary as any.

www.thecrazytourist.com/15-best-places-visit-cape-verde/

www.paulinaontheroad.com/6-top-hikes-in-santo-antao-cape-verde-travel-trekking/
To update....it’s back to Tenerife for 12 nights immediately pre Christmas. A nice hotel on the SW corner, not cheap as I’m travelling solo and paying the usual large supplement for the privilege. I know the area well, plenty of walks to keep me occupied and maybe a trip with ‘Feel Tenerife’, a small tour company I’ve used previously.
But mainly swim, gym, read, chill and hopefully warm up the old bones

Sadly the health of a good friend has deteriorated in almost the blink of an eye. Without going into detail, only a few months ago he was part of my Thursday walking group, only 12/15 miles, but he is unlikely to join us again, although miracles do happen. As usual it’s Spain in early February for a group of us, returning April, but the above has made me consider my own mortality. Again!
South Africa has suddenly come onto my radar as a January solo holiday destination. Normally I’d go off on my own, tarptent in my rucksack and wing it day to day, hitching and using local transportation, but something tells me that’s not a particularly clever thing to do in SA. So I’m thinking of joining a ‘solos’ organised trip, based around Durban for 10 days, then maybe adding something else on for another 10 days to make the distance travelled, and cost of the flight worthwhile. Luxury safari camps don’t appeal at all, and I wouldn’t pay their doubtless high price as I prefer to wild camp for free when on my numerous backpacking trips.
Has anyone any experience of this part of the world and care to share? I’m ready to go anytime after 26/12.
 Goa going gone - Dog
Give this 3 hour jobbie a go LL when you're in south Tenerife. I attempted it many many times when I lived there but, I was trying to climb it from the wrong side!!

El Conde: www.tenerifehiking.com/2008/08/20/roque-del-conde/
 Goa going gone - Zero
My winter break is sorted, fly to Barbados on 7th Feb, then a cruise around the lesser Antilles, highlight being a day on Mustique.

That’s a shame. You’re going to miss meandering up Roque Del Conde with me. And the €1 beers ( although I’m on another detox trip)
 Goa going gone - Zero
Exactly, detox trip, not my cup of gin at all.
 Goa going gone - No FM2R
>> detox trip

What kind of weird hippy idea is that?

silly, silly man.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 5 Sep 19 at 10:40
For a committed beer drinker since the age of 14, I actually enjoy my occasional detox ( alcohol free) holiday trips.
I have a busy social life, which means regular trips to all points north to take light refreshment with friends, although never to the point of being paralytic. In the past 4 weeks we’ve had trips to Kirkby L, Hebden Bridge, Otley, Ilkley, Bradford, Barnoldswick & Morecambe/Bare (don’t laugh, we found 3 fine watering holes).
Interspersed with regular half gallons after early evening gym & circuit training sessions. I’ll never give up drinking decent beer, and it’s nice to know that I can easily exercise self control when the mood takes me. And on my more strenuous backpacking trips, or hut to hut in the Alps, it’s definitely advantageous. I stand to be corrected but I think it’s better to go alcohol free for a few weeks rather than cut down to drink only a couple of pints a night and never give the liver a chance to go on holiday!
Cheers

>> I think it’s better to go alcohol free for a few weeks rather than cut
>> down to drink only a couple of pints a night and never give the liver
>> a chance to go on holiday!

I think the NHS recommendation is around six pints PER WEEK preferably with some alcohol free days!!
The NHS are referring to toxic lager. Not honest to goodness proper beer. And I think they recommend 3 pints, then a curry, then another couple before a bracing walk home after a grand night out with one’s chums.
 Goa going gone - No FM2R
That would be my understanding
I certainly don't drink six pints of beer a week but I rather think think my wine consumption pushes me well over. Seriously trying to cut down at the moment in order to help lose some weight.

I find it quite hard actually. That's a bit worrying really.
 Goa going gone - No FM2R
It's wine with food that I love so much. That is very hard to restrict.

I don't like fizzy drinks, juices don't go with food, so it's water...

Bleearrhghhhhhh.
 Goa going gone - Zero

>> I don't like fizzy drinks,

Tonic, in gin does not count of course.
 Goa going gone - Dog
Just been looking at property in Los Cristianos ... can't believe the prices!!

Tom and Mary our drinking buddies from south Yorkshire owned a one bedder in this complex:

www.rightmove.co.uk/overseas-property/property-57520212.html
 Goa going gone - sooty123
Pricey for a small flat there dog, not sure it's my cup of tea tbh. I guess you'd spent a lot of time out and about. I'm not sure I'd spent €220k on that.
 Goa going gone - Dog
>>I'm not sure I'd spent €220k on that.

Neither would I sooty. A 1 bed apartment like that would have been £40k 20 years ago :)

Mainland Spain is much much cheaper but, it hasn't got the climate of the Canary Islands.
Just a short ferry rise away in San Sebastian de La Gomera EUR 88,000 would get you this. I know where I would prefer.

www.idealista.com/en/venta-viviendas/san-sebastian-de-la-gomera-santa-cruz-de-tenerife/
 Goa going gone - Dog
We used to look out to Gomera from our terrace in Los Cris, and watch the Gomera ferry sail orf into the sunset most evenings. Dunno if I could live there though.

South west Tenerife has got a great climate Tony - it's what I want in the winter, especially at my age.

:o}
Much as I like visiting SW Tenerife to escape the Yorkshire winter weather, one week or thereabouts is sufficient. There simply isn’t enough to keep me occupied, and even I can only do so much swimming, reading and flopping on the beach.
The weather December to February is far better than my preferred Costa Blanca where there are 101 things to do to keep me occupied for several weeks.
 Goa going gone - Dog
I know where I'd rather be right this minute, knowlmean.

www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/espana/canarias/santa-cruz-de-tenerife/playa-las-vistas.html

Oman was seriously considered. However, I’ve now joined the NM Mountain Club. A part of the world I’ve never visited, although I’ve travelled around neighbouring Arizona. The Continental Divide Trail meanders 770 miles through NM, which I won’t backpack all at once, but there seems to be several fascinating wilderness areas to visit, the low humidity will help my arthritic hip, and I might get to do some cooking out in the desert aka Walter White.
Bring it on !
Latest Forum Posts