Non-motoring > Jammed mortice door bolt Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Soupytwist Replies: 31

Jammed mortice door bolt - Soupytwist
My porch has a set of wooden outer double doors, one is locked with mortice door bolts top and bottom. The door in question doesn't get opened very often and the bottom bolt seems to be stuck in the locked position - the star key just wont turn in the lock. Has anyone got any suggestions for freeing it please? I've squirted a load of silicon lubricant in there as much as I can, and some penetrating spray but I can't get it to budge.

Thanks
 Jammed mortice door bolt - FotheringtonTomas
Try lifting the door as you wind the key. A meat cleaver or stout flat knife makes a good lever that doesn't damage the door.
 Jammed mortice door bolt - CGNorwich
A meat cleaver or stout flat knife makes a good lever that doesn't damage the door.

As does a spade, you can stand on the space handle.
 Jammed mortice door bolt - henry k
I would suspect the the lock is OK but the bolt is hard against one side of its little hole.
Never had a splined key lock fail but have worn out a key.

First of all try pulling the door towards you and turning the key at the same time.
Try similar but pushing the door. If that fails try tapping the bolt where it enters its hole and turn the key at the same time ( with an assistant ?)
Causes ? Maybe damp has swelled the wood and made the hole smaller. Maybe the door has sagged a litlle.
 Jammed mortice door bolt - Dulwich Estate
" My porch has a set of wooden outer double doors, one is locked with mortice door bolts top and bottom. "

Didn't know they made an estate or traveller version of the Cayenne.

Mods -shouldn't this one be in the motoring section?
 Jammed mortice door bolt - R.P.
Porsche Cayenne Traveller - Have I woken up in a strange parallel universe..?
 Jammed mortice door bolt - Tooslow
No, just the strange, normal one :-)

JH
 Jammed mortice door bolt - Runfer D'Hills
Ooh did someone suggest a Porsche estate ? Splendid idea !
On recent form it would be blindingly ugly. And the engine would melt the groceries.

JH
 Jammed mortice door bolt - Dave_
>> Porsche Cayenne Traveller

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Mansory or similar made one of these...
 Jammed mortice door bolt - Bellboy
Porsche Cayenne Traveller
>
>>>>

i had one
failed the mot on woodworm :-(
Thanks for the suggestions. There's enough 'wiggle room' at the bottom of the door to suggest that the bolt itself is not jammed in the locked position but that the mechanism to move it seized. It feels like I could do with a star key on the end of a wheel brace to get some leverage. Not sure what to do now - would a locksmith be any help. I want to get both doors off to give them a coat of paint and then refit them.
WD40 soaking and leave overnight ?
You could probably get some mole grips around the key shaft to get more leverage. But the splines on the key are relatively soft and may strip off. If that doesn't work you could try a hacksaw blade to try and cut the bolt at floor level but an electric reciprocating saw would be better. Or maybe remove the escutcheon plate (two screws) and drill out a 12mm+ hole to take a look at the bolt casing and key entry point.

Or just whack in a 10mm steel drill in the key hole and drill out the mechanism preventing the bolt from moving.
Had thought about the mole grips option but the key splines are pretty soft, not got much to lose I suppose. I can't get a hacksaw into position to really give it a go - it would take hours of back and forth. If I drilled out the mechanism, the bolt needs to come up out of the hole in the frame so how would I then get it out of the hole?
So if the bolt is not stuck in its hole then the lock needs an attack.
I agree the splines are soft.
A conventional screw driver with a hex / square shaft that will just fit in the splines and then a spanner on the screwdriver shaft might work.

It seems most unusual for the lock to fail.
 Jammed mortice door bolt - Iffy
Can you get a thin bladed screwdriver between the door and jamb?

If so, you could try to lever the bolt back using a rowing motion.

Best to try while also trying to turn the key.
 Jammed mortice door bolt - devonite
undo the hinges, lean door towards you and lift it out of its floor hole, lay it flat and tap the bottom of the bolt with a hammer whilst turning the key, if it frees up fine! if it dosen`t remove and replace the whole lock.
"undo the hinges" - after first opening the door, which means he's cracked it anyway!

JH
 Jammed mortice door bolt - Mapmaker
Are you turning the key in the correct direction?
 Jammed mortice door bolt - bathtub tom
>> Are you turning the key in the correct direction?

I thought about asking that, but didn't dare. ;>)
Might be a "doh" moment - IIRC they turn clockwise, when common sense says anti...
 Jammed mortice door bolt - crocks
>> IIRC they turn clockwise, when common sense says anti...
>>

Depends who put them in. Clockwise from one side will be anti- clockwise from the other.
>> >> IIRC they turn clockwise, when common sense says anti...
>> >>
>>
>> Depends who put them in. Clockwise from one side will be anti- clockwise from the
>> other.
>>

No. Depends which side of the door they are on...

>> I thought about asking that, but didn't dare. ;>)
>>

Wuss!
 Jammed mortice door bolt - Zero
>>Not sure what to do now

Get some locking grips clamped hard onto the shaft part of the star key. That'll shift it.

>> would a locksmith be any help

Certainly not the one they just locked up for overcharging. Still he will be out in a day if hes any good.
Yes, I have been turning it the right way, thank you.

Anyway, success at last. Most of a can of penetrating fluid and mole grips round the key got the job done. I think I'll try and remember to open them a bit more regularly from now on, once I've taken them off, painted them and put them back on.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
For what it costs, I'd fit a new one now.
 Jammed mortice door bolt - rtj70
>> For what it costs, I'd fit a new one now.
>>

I'd second that. A bit of a no brainer. And the key being used with mole grips may have weakened too.

Also make sure lashing on lots of paint does not make the door stick ;-)
>>Also make sure lashing on lots of paint does not make the door stick ;-)
>>
While you are at it I would treat the underneath edge of the door with wood hardener.
Once it's painted I'll leave the mortice bolt in the open position and fit a barrel bolt.
>> Once it's painted I'll leave the mortice bolt in the open position and fit a
>> barrel bolt.
>>

Your insurance company may not like that very much.
Latest Forum Posts