Non-motoring > Grass rake Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 10

Grass rake - MD
I need a new one. Metal. Heavy duty. The fan type. Has anybody bought one recently? Most I’ve seen don’t look like they’ll last a season.
 Grass rake - CGNorwich
What are using the rake for? For raking leaves the plastic ones are more efficient and easier to use and will not tear lumps out of the lawn as metal rakes are prone to do. I find the plastic tine tend to wear down over time but should last three or four years.

If you want to remove moss then a metal one is what you need but raking the moss out of a large lawn is literally gut wrenching. I have an electric lawn rake which is more efficient than a hand rake and you will do th job in a tenth of the time.

Grass rake - MD
I have a plastic version but it’s not man enough for the huge piles of Beech leaves that fall. The gardener want a metal one to replace one that has died.
 Grass rake - devonite
treat him to a leaf blower, you know it makes sense! ;-)
 Grass rake - Cliff Pope
It depends what scale of grass you want to rake.
I find the springy wire kind good for raking leaves on a gravel drive, or for lightly-mown grass on a lawn. It has the advantage of also scarrifying the soil at bit.

But for for removing substantial piles of cut grass, virtually hay, I use a large wooden rake about 5 feet across with 1" wooden pegs. It rolls the grass down the length of the lawn into large bundles, like making a snowball, which can then be lifted into a barrow.
 Grass rake - The Melting Snowman
Wickes do a good range of garden tools, we have one of their fan rakes. They are a bit stronger than typical gardening tools, able to cope with light building use.
 Grass rake - R.P.
Theory on tools. Buy cheap Chinese crap and view it as disposable - which actually may make sense economically if not environmentally. Buy proper UK or German and you know it will last a few years
 Grass rake - R.P.
www.bulldogtools.co.uk/products/gardening/rakes-and-hoes/evergreen/lawn-rake/
 Grass rake - MD
Thanks Rob. I’d forgotten about Bulldog. I’ve bought, sold and used their products yonks ago when Hyde Park was a flowerpot!
 Grass rake - CGNorwich
That is a lawn rake and not a leaf rake and will make hard work of raking leaves. It is rather narrow and will also tend to spear the leaves on the tines necessitating their constant removal. I guess if that's what your man wants though he is the one doing the work
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Sat 8 Sep 18 at 23:12
 Grass rake - Duncan
>> That is a lawn rake and not a leaf rake and will make hard work
>> of raking leaves.

What about - from the same site-

www.bulldogtools.co.uk/products/farming/rakes-and-hoes/standard/plastic-rake/
Latest Forum Posts