Non-motoring > What Camera Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 40

What Camera - R.P.
I have an iPhone 6S - takes photos but a bit limited. I have a 10 year old Canon DSLR which has only just started talking to my High Sierra laptop...but big to tote around. Need a camera that is not a PITA to carry (i.e. fits into a pocket without being a nuisance) apparently need an optical zoom and an EVF...video recording would be good as well.
Last edited by: R.P. on Fri 7 Sep 18 at 09:08
 What Camara...? - Dog
I have one of these = v/good:

www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-TZ80-Digital-Camera/dp/B01AAZ4WOY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1536238025&sr=8-3&keywords=lumix+cameras
 What Camara...? - rtj70
What's the budget and what zoom range do you need? The Sony RX100's are pretty small and the III, IV, V and VI all have good electronic viewfinders.

The RX100 VI being the latest and is quite expensive. It has a longer zoom than the others but it's not as quick a lens losing out a little.

Panasonic have cameras with similar spec and size that are cheaper.
 What Camara...? - rtj70
Actually for the RX100 V there's now a new version of that with some of the hardware from the VI. One thing it loses is the ability to run applications (e.g. time lapse). It does not get the touch screen like the VI. But that's only useful for touch to focus and not menus anyway.

The model reference are sometimes written as M1, M2, etc. So the revised V is also known as the 5A.
 What Camara...? - CGNorwich
Would endorse that. Panasonic invented the compact travel camera and this ins the latest incarnation. I had. TZ60 until I dropped it on a tiled floor in Malta. They don’t bounce!.

Picture quality is excellent, has a viewfinder, not just a screen so great when it’s sunny, decent manual zoom, and is easy to download pictures s to your phone or tablet via WiFi. Fits into your pocket or is handily carries on your belt. Auto setting works well but can set manually for more creative approach.

What Camara...? - MD
Who is Non emmet
A strayed Cornish dog who has now returned home.
 What Camara...? - movilogo
If you want small camera with large sensor, Fuji XF 10 is good. Panasonic GX80 is small and capable to shoot 4K video too.
 What Camara...? - rtj70
If you want large sensor then go for at least a 1" sensor. Sony seems to have the best at the moment and is used by others. The later RX100 for example use a stacked sensor with it's own local memory.

So an RX100 M5 for example could take 24 shots a second for 150 shots until it slows down. It can also do 960fps slow motion video because of this sensor. And all whilst it is auto focussing.

You can of course get poor photos out of any camera.

The Fuji XF10 has an even bigger sensor - APS-C. But I don't think it has a zoom does it? And RP did say optical zoom.

The problem with an APS-C or full size (35mm) sensor is that then has implications on the size of the lens. Canon's new mirrorless cameras have really big lenses and the benefit of going to mirrorless seems to be diminished.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 6 Sep 18 at 20:00
 What Camara...? - Dog
Um, I know R.P. is a Remoaner but, I would never buy anything made by Panasonic again (and I'm a BIG fan of the brand) due to their decision to move its European headquarters from Britain to the Netherlands due to Brexit.
 What Camara...? - Zero
>> Um, I know R.P. is a Remoaner but, I would never buy anything made by
>> Panasonic again (and I'm a BIG fan of the brand) due to their decision to
>> move its European headquarters from Britain to the Netherlands due to Brexit.

Price worth paying. You were warned,
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 7 Sep 18 at 08:10
 What Camara...? - Dog
Maybe Panasonic TV's have had their day?

Samsung Electronics 20.2%
LG Electronics 12.1%
TCL 10.9%
Hisense 6%
Sony 5.6%
Sharp 4.2%
AOC/TP Vision (Philips) 4.1%
Skyworth 3.8%
Haier 3%
Panasonic 2.9%
Others 27.2%

~ en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television#Market_share
Well don’t buy anything from Samsung or LG then as their European Headquartrs are in Berlin And Frankfurt respectively
 What Camara...? - Zero
You are going to need to get rid of those European breed dogs as well.
 What Camara...? - rtj70
Just don't buy another TV or electronics in general - simple.
 What Camara...? - Dog
I am 'currently' looking at Baird, Ferguson, Bush, Alba, Decca, Ecko, ITT, Murphy, Pye, and Teleton TV's.
 What Camara...? - VxFan
>> I am 'currently' looking at Baird, Ferguson, Bush, Alba, Decca, Ecko, ITT, Murphy, Pye, and Teleton TV's.

Having had experience in at least a couple of those products, both ownership and repairing them, be prepared to be looking at a blank screen.

Granted, it wasn't their TVs, but if the build quality is like their other products, then well.....
 What Camara...? - Dog
>>Having had experience in at least a couple of those products, both ownership and repairing them, be prepared to be looking at a blank screen.

My late brother was a TV engine ear from the 50's 'til his screen went blank due to a ruptured aortic aneurism, so I knows the tales of woe about those brands well enough.

I'll most likely 'go back' to Sony, who no doubt have their HQ in a European country other than Britain - I'm OK with that, it's just Pana doing a runner due to Brexit which has got my goat :)

I might even end up looking at Samsung when my 7 year-old TXP42G30B plasma gives up the ghost.
 What Camara...? - Zero
>> I'm OK with that, it's just Pana doing a
>> runner due to Brexit which has got my goat :)

Now who would have thought a global company would want to move their European HQ into Europe.

What Camara...? - Dog
>>Now who would have thought a global company would want to move their European HQ into Europe.

If Brino happens we'll still be in Europe anyway.
 What Camara...? - zippy
>>PYE

A trustworthy brand, they would never steal someone's patent:

www.inventricity.com/a-gem-of-an-idea-marie-killick
 What Camara...? - Duncan
>> I am 'currently' looking at Baird, Ferguson, Bush, Alba, Decca, Ecko, ITT, Murphy, Pye, and
>> Teleton TV's.

While you are at it, check out the deals that Radio Rentals and D.E.R. have on offer.

You never know.
 What Camara...? - Crankcase

>> move its European headquarters from Britain to the Netherlands due to Brexit.

*settles down with popcorn*
 What Camara...? - DP
Samsung's EHQ is in Chertsey, or it was until last year. I worked there for 4 years.
www.thelocal.de/20170712/samsung-picks-berlin-over-london-for-new-hq-because-uk-capital-only-fun-for-the-rich
 What Camara...? - DP
Ahhh, that's Samsung Next, a subsidiary organisation. It is not the Samsung Electronics EHQ that the headline implies.

Nonetheless, I'm sure that, as with all other EHQs, will be under review for reasons I mentioned in the Brexit thread. That will be a good few hundred jobs, if it goes.
 What Camara...? - Falkirk Bairn

Apparently the move involves 20 people!

What Camara...? - zippy
>> >> move its European headquarters from Britain to the Netherlands due to Brexit.
>>
>> Apparently the move involves 20 people!
>>

It's a bit of a pain if yours is one of the 20 jobs going!
Last edited by: zippy on Fri 7 Sep 18 at 14:20
 What Camara...? - Dog
>>Apparently the move involves 20 people!

They are/were probably mostly immigrunts anyway.

:o}
 What Camara...? - movilogo
>> European headquarters from Britain to the Netherlands due to Brexi

Unilever doing the same but they did say not due to Brexit.

What Camara...? - Dog
>>Unilever doing the same but they did say not due to Brexit.

Blimey! .. they produce everything from Sunsilk to Sunlight: www.unilever.com/brands/?page=1

What Camera... - R.P.
Thanks all. Been contemplating over a brew - Decided on a Panasonic TZ90. Seems to fit the bill. Decided to up-spec from an 80.
 What Camara...? - R.P.
Dutch friend told me that office space is at a premium in Rotterdam and Amsterdam since the 2016 vote. Says it all.
 What Camara...? - Boxsterboy
A friend of mine was showing some photos through a projector of cycling trips he has been on at our bike club, and the photo quality was fantastic. Obviously riding a bike, a compact camera is an absolute necessity. He is an ex-professional photographer. Turns out he used a Sony RX100. Don't know which Mk though.

They look expensive for their size but the reviews are very good.
 What Camara...? - rtj70
The RX100 M5 produces excellent photos. And I got mine for £644 from Amazon brand new after the £100 cash back from Sony. Then the price shot back up. I got it for less than the M4.

The prices showing for the M5, M5A and M6 are very high. And Sony is clever in so much the newer models did not replace the older ones. They just shuffled down in price a bit to make room.

The M3 and M4 are still very good. But the M5 has quicker/better autofocus. The continuous 24fps shooting for 150 images is not something I've needed much yet. But if you wanted to make sure you got that one picture in a moment it can help take lots and you look through them all.
 What Camara...? - R.P.
It arrived today. Mean bit of kit. Incredible features. Too dark to go out and take any photos. May get a chance tomorrow.
 What Camera - Dog
Um: www.radiotimes.com/tv-programme/e/gzbdk4/the-island-strait--s1-e1-the-island-strait-introduction/
 What Camera - R.P.
Been on in Wales last year. Lovely programme that sells the Island quite well. Well worth a watch. Thanks.
 What Camera - Dog
>>Lovely programme that sells the Island quite well. Well worth a watch.

Going to watch it layder on after our fish & chips :)
 What Camera - R.P.
:-)...HD I hope - it's worth it
 What Camera - Dog
Course, and plasma (remember those) :)
Latest Forum Posts