Non-motoring > Good old UPS Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 25

Good old UPS - Zero
Have lost a 1.5 metre, 22kg piece of furniture. Dispatched by a supplier in Bristol to my place in Surrey, it went to Tamworth (really?) and there it disappeared.

Its current status is "In transit, on time, scheduled delivery 04/09/2018"

On getting in touch with a UPS agent (UPS do everything they can to stop you speaking to a real person but there is a trick I found out), they say

" Oh we appear to have lost visibility of it"

"you have lost it"

"Technically, no"

"Can you tell me where it is"

"No"

If they cant find it in 48 hours the supplier will ship another, I can see me ending up with two.

Good old UPS - Bromptonaut
Reminds me of one of my Mother's stories.

Some item sent for dry cleaning was not ready for collection at Smith's cleaners in Stalybridge on agreed date/time circa 1957.

Is it lost? asks Mum.

Reply is along lines of no madam it's certainly not lost; could be at anyone of our 350 branches but it's not lost.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 5 Sep 18 at 22:07
 Good old UPS - rtj70
I had a really good experience of UPS sending a OnePlus phone for repair to Poland.

- Dropped off at a newsagents and picked up by courier at 4:30pm

Then I setup tracking on their website:

- Arrived at their depot in Cheshire in a few hours
- Left there soon after for Castle Donnington
- Scanned for departure at airport soon after
- Arrived in Germany early hours (might have been Frankfurt)
- Soon departed for Poland
- Delivered by 8am to OnePlus service center

I knew where it was at all times. The reverse happened getting it back. So sent on a Wednesday and had it back on the Monday. It actually got to Castle Donnington on the Saturday but had to wait until Monday to get moved onwards.

And OnePlus covered the courier costs because of the 2 year warranty. Damage was a broken screen so paid for that. Also had to have the rear replaced because of damage. Came back like new.
 Good old UPS - Zero

>> Then I setup tracking on their website:
>>
>> - Arrived at their depot in Cheshire in a few hours
>> - Left there soon after for Castle Donnington
>> - Scanned for departure at airport soon after
>> - Arrived in Germany early hours (might have been Frankfurt)
>> - Soon departed for Poland
>> - Delivered by 8am to OnePlus service center

I too set up tracking

Tamworth, United Kingdom 03/09/2018 22:01 Arrival Scan
Bristol, United Kingdom 03/09/2018 20:00 Departure Scan
03/09/2018 15:38 Collection Scan
United Kingdom 03/09/2018 8:02 Order Processed: Ready for UPS

>> I knew where it was at all times.

It was last seen in Tamworth, - No-one has seen it since.

Good old UPS - rtj70
Once had an Amazon order out for delivery and just before evening I got a message saying their courier had lost it. Now I've seen some of these 'couriers' they have.... well blokes in clapped out cars with a boot full of unorganised parcels.
 Good old UPS - bathtub tom
SWMBO had arranged for some perfume stuff delivered just before Christmas - it never arrived. Supplier sent some more and the original stuff arrived around February!

Just had a small package delivered by PO, who left a hand-written note on a letter saying: "package delivered over gate". Said package was visible under gate from where I recovered it, as could have anyone.
 Good old UPS - rtj70
One of the worst I think I've had was an Amazon delivery (new camera) around 2005. Found it in the garden waste bin and only found it because I'd taken by chance some old cut flowers to throw in the bin. No note to say where it was left in the green bin in the back garden.

Also fairly recently found a note for an Amazon delivery that had been left with a neighbour. I was home and no knock or ring of the door bell. I caught up with the delivery guy soon after (I'd seen him outside) and asked why he had not attempted delivery.... he said he didn't ring the bell because he might have disturbed someone! How did he expect to get my attention in the house?

Best though was a Post Office Royal Mail delivery for a friend. A note went through the letterbox for attempted delivery (think it was DVDs) and he rushed to the door and asked the postal worker for the package. He then admitted he'd left it at the depot and just intended sticking the failed delivery note through the door.

These last two examples are no doubt related to difficult delivery targets. I've had items delivered by DPD around lunchtime and via the tracker I'm delivery 30+!
 Good old UPS - zippy
Royal Mail; recorded delivery of a USB wireless dongle, back before laptops had them fitted as standard.

Postie, being helpful, left it in the recycling box and popped the note through are door saying so.

Unfortunately it was recycling day. We got home after the recycling had gone!

Good old UPS - rtj70
I work from home mostly and we do online orders etc. If I can I will have them sent to a collection point nearby. I might be in but if on a call it might not be okay to sign for something. If I was in the office I wouldn't be at home to accept packages and working from home doesn't mean it's convenient project work wise to answer the door. Of course if expecting a package I open the outer front door (we have a porch).

Hope you know what I mean. Local drop off point is not far for say Amazon order.
 Good old UPS - R.P.
Our courier service delivers with care ! Testicular implant delivered on time to a surgeon's eager hands on Tuesday - only one minute late (mainly because of a getting lost in a strange hospital)
 Good old UPS - Falkirk Bairn
Retired, we seem to get all the van drivers asking to sign for neighbours 2/3 up / down both sides of the street.

On the other hand, if we are out, nobody seems to sign for our package!
 Good old UPS - Zero
>> Our courier service delivers with care ! Testicular implant delivered on time to a surgeon's
>> eager hands on Tuesday - only one minute late (mainly because of a getting lost
>> in a strange hospital)

Talking a load of old balls if you ask me
 Good old UPS - R.P.
New German made ball !
 Good old UPS - zippy
>> New German made ball !
>>

On Radio 4 recently, they were interviewing the lady who made "glass eyes" for people that needed them.

They are all custom jobs.

Originally they were heavy as they were solid, she then had the idea of using sugar as the filling to give the eye solidity whilst it is being made.

Afterwards, a small hole is drilled in the false eye and hot water added which dissolves the sugar and leaves a light eye which can float and has saved a fortune in eyes lost in swimming pools as well as being more comfortable to wear.

Last edited by: zippy on Thu 6 Sep 18 at 14:43
 Good old UPS - bathtub tom
I once got home to a delivery note saying parcel had been left at a neighbours. I wasn't expecting anything. Went to said neighbour who gave me an enormous parcel addressed to a street two roads away. I pointed out it wasn't for me and said neighbour got all tetchy and told me they wouldn't accept any more parcels for me! In the interests of peace I took the parcel to the correct address where the recipient berated me for delivering it late as he'd been tracking it and it said it had been delivered.

No pleasing some folk!
 Good old UPS - Zero
Its Officially lost. UPS cant find it, they think it went to Tamworth. Supplier has reordered.

The UPS Tamworth depot is so big that apparently they lost a 3 ton 3mx5mx2m generator in there. Its not been found.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 7 Sep 18 at 15:44
 Good old UPS - Duncan
What was in the letter you collected from the P.O. Sorting Office?
 Good old UPS - Zero
>> What was in the letter you collected from the P.O. Sorting Office?

NOYB YNOG
 Good old UPS - Duncan
>> >> What was in the letter you collected from the P.O. Sorting Office?
>>
>> NOYB YNOG

TYVM YAMK
 Good old UPS - legacylad
DE NADA
 Good old UPS - Runfer D'Hills
>> Reply is along lines of no madam it's certainly not lost; could be at anyone of our 350 branches but it's not lost.

That in turn reminds me of an almost certainly apocryphal story that was doing the rounds of my parents generation when I was a child.

In short, it tells of a guy during WW2 who takes his shoes in to be repaired at the cobblers, the cobbler says he's a bit busy, they'll be ready in a week. Meanwhile however, the fellow who left his shoes to be repaired gets called up. He goes off into the army, gets captured, spends 3 years in a POW camp from which he eventually escapes, makes his way back across occupied Europe, and eventually gets home.

Of course he's given some leave, and while he's home he finds the ticket for his shoes and thinks they'll probably have been thrown out, but decides it's worth a try to ask at the cobblers if they still have them waiting to be collected.

He goes into the cobblers with the ticket and asks if they, by any chance, still have his shoes.

The reply he got was "They'll be ready Tuesday sir"...
 Good old UPS - Zero
So, a second was dispatched yesterday, made its way to the black hole that is Tamworth, but this time has escaped and made its way to Croydon, where it appears to have been in and out twice in two hours.

lets see what the day brings
 Good old UPS - tyrednemotional
It'll probably still be somewhere in "the Tamworth triangle".....
 Good old UPS - Zero
Nope,. it escaped the TT and made its way here.

More or less in one piece too
 Good old UPS - Roger.
I've just received a pair of Mahabis sent via Royal Mail 48 tracked, that actually took 96 hours from their being despatched.
(Nice slippers, by the way!)
 Good old UPS - henry k
A few months back I sent a small parcel , signed for, to my friend in Maine USA.
Tracked it and it arrived in JFK. ( I was expecting it to go to Boston )
The parcel arrived OK and was left on the doorstep.
There was no tracking after JFK.
Latest Forum Posts