Non-motoring > Satnav recommendations Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 12

Satnav recommendations - smokie
With the recent switch round in our fleet my daughter wants a new satnav with traffic but doesn't want one which uses her phone for anything.

Can anyone recommend a realistically priced one, or a particular range/manufacturer she should be looking at?

Thanks.
 Satnav recommendations - commerdriver
When my daughter was looking at satnavs, a few years ago now, Garmins seemed to be the only ones which didn't use the user's phone for some part of the access.
In practice recent improvements in mobile phone mapping make it the most obvious choice now. Your daughter might well find the cheapest option, if she is willing to consider it, is a different contract and possibly a different phone.
 Satnav recommendations - movilogo
Get another mobile phone and use it as dedicated Sat Nav only.
 Satnav recommendations - rtj70
Has she tried TomTom on her mobile? It uses very little data because you download the maps to the phone. If she doesn't do many miles it might work out free because you get so many 'free miles' a month.

I'd say TomTom for a satnav and don't forget life time maps for these devices is for as long as the device is supported. Obviously one with an inbuilt phone unit for data. But ones with an inbuilt SIM tend to be expensive. And go for one at a discounted price and map updates may stop a lot sooner than you expected.

I don't see the problem of a satnav using a Bluetooth connection to her mobile for data for the traffic but if she insists she does not want that then the satnav will cost more.
 Satnav recommendations - smokie
I gather the main reason for not wanting to use the phone is she listens to stuff on the phone (mostly e-books I think) and navigation would be too intrusive. She's fairly sure she had one before which got info over the radio and, while I don't remember how we had to set it up, now she's mentioned it I'm pretty sure one of my mates has one which does something similar.

Anyhow, thanks for input so far...
 Satnav recommendations - zippy
Daughter got one of these for her birthday:

buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/551975/pn/010-01678-32#

She likes it but its a good idea to go to Halfords to make your own choice, they will let you play with them and they are competitively priced.

She went off the idea of using her current phone or re-purposing her previous phone because of the potential 6 points for using a phone when driving. All you need is a police officer on a bad day and that's it, so to her it was £90 well spent.
 Satnav recommendations - Bromptonaut
>> She went off the idea of using her current phone or re-purposing her previous phone
>> because of the potential 6 points for using a phone when driving. All you need
>> is a police officer on a bad day and that's it, so to her it
>> was £90 well spent.

Provided the phone is in a cradle you're in clear regarding hand held and 6 points. You have to be actually using the phone for call or data while holding it.

Other offences like not being in full control are possible but they apply just as much with inbuilt satnav or even touch controlled radio or heating/ventilation.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 5 Sep 18 at 22:13
 Satnav recommendations - No FM2R
>>She's fairly sure she had one before which got info over the radio

I remember that, though a fair time ago wasn't it? I seem to recall my first Tom Tom did that, like 15 years ago or so.

I am trying to remember what it was called TPS, was it? Though Google doesn't think so.

But surely that's not still going?
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 5 Sep 18 at 22:03
 Satnav recommendations - sooty123
Was it Trafficmaster that you were thinking of?
There was a time some portable sat nav units had aerials for the TPS signal. The TomTom aerials had a reputation of being poor and you got no signal.
The inbuilt sat navs I have had could pick up traffic info from the TPS system. Experience has been:

- VW RDS310 - rubbish at listing delays etc.
- Audi A3 standard (not the expensive connected to Internet one) - picked up some traffic
- Skoda Columbus using TPS - pick up some traffic
- Skoda Columbus with Internet and therefore access to TomTom - lots of traffic info that is really up to date

I still think Android Maps via Android Auto is better still.
 Satnav recommendations - zippy
>> >>She's fairly sure she had one before which got info over the radio
>>
>> I remember that, though a fair time ago wasn't it? I seem to recall my
>> first Tom Tom did that, like 15 years ago or so.
>>
>> I am trying to remember what it was called TPS, was it? Though Google doesn't
>> think so.
>>
>> But surely that's not still going?
>>

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_message_channel

and

uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5826/~/rds-tmc-coverage
 Satnav recommendations - Duncan
Why is this in non-motoring?
Latest Forum Posts