Non-motoring > Woman falls from cruise ship... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 36

Woman falls from cruise ship... - MD
...and spends 10 hours in the sea before being rescued! Watching the interview with her something doesn’t seem to ring true to me.
 Woman falls from cruise ship... - Duncan
She seemed very cheerful about it all?
 Woman falls from cruise ship... - sherlock47
probably had had to endure a shared dinner table with a trainspotter. And it was just too much.....
 Woman falls from cruise ship... - CGNorwich
It was the video of a transformer going round a roundabout that pushed her over the edge.
 Woman falls from cruise ship... - Stuartli
Apparently she's an air stewardess - she must have got bored with the ship's safety drill routine...!!
 Woman falls from cruise ship... - Ambo
News reports on the incident are annoyingly incomplete. It is still not clear how she was picked up. Did the cruise ship even know she had fallen? If so it should have changed course 180 degrees to sail back and try to spot her. Did they simply report the incident or did the coastguard ship come across her by chance?
 Woman falls from cruise ship... - henry k
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/08/19/british-woman-survives-10-hours-adriatic-sea-fell-cruise-ship/
>> She seemed very cheerful about it all?
>>
Those nice sailors on the rescue ship revived her spirits ?
 Woman falls from cruise ship... - No FM2R
>> something doesn’t seem to ring true to me.

I know what you mean. Something seems a little off. I guess that could just be down to having spent 10 hours in the sea and then finally rescued. But still....
A bit more background ?

www.thesun.co.uk/news/7050800/british-woman-fell-off-cruise-ship/
" she was “sitting at the back” when she fell from the ship at about 11.45pm on Saturday "

Her day job includes " Please read the safety instruction card !"

I suspect cruise ships have a raft on "Do nots !"
 Woman falls from cruise ship... - Cliff Pope

>>
>> I suspect cruise ships have a raft on "Do nots !"
>>

The important one is "If someone falls overboard remember to throw a lifebelt, not this raft".
 Woman falls from cruise ship... - Duncan
Anyone like to have a modest wager with me?

I say that the facts of this 'person overboard' are not as stated in the initial news report.

Any takers?
 Woman falls from cruise ship... - Manatee
It's an intriguing story, at least for retired people who have the leisure to think about this kind of thing.

I find myself wanting to know how anybody can fall off a ship like that. Was she doing something stupid, or did somebody chuck her off? It can't be an easy thing to do by accident, even while drunk (and there is no suggestion that she was, that I have seen).

She must have been pretty fortunate even to survive the fall. Presumably it was from some height. Had she fallen off the side rather than the back, she might very well have been minced or battered by the screws.

The 'i' paper tried to make a story out of it, and dug up some stats to the effect that 15 or 20 people every year fall overboard from cruise ships, and in fact 2 have gone overboard from Norwegian line ships this year, one being a Filipino crew member who apparently jumped. He was rescued 22 HOURS later when a cabin steward on another ship happened to spot him.

In the case of this lady, the ship "made a search" but was unsuccessful. The story went on the say that there has been criticism of cruise ships for not hanging about unduly when they lose a passenger, as cruise passengers are not slow to complain about delays, and the 'i' quotes a tweet from a passenger saying the ship had been late in Venice and he had missed his flights.

There's also a picture off her being rescued, apparently not just having survived but able to climb a ladder to board the coastguard vessel.
I think they are substantially correct although whether the fall was a result of drugs, alcohol or was intentional is unclear. You cannot just accidentally fall off a ship.
 Woman falls from cruise ship... - Driver
>> The 'i' quotes a tweet from a passenger saying the ship had been late in Venice and he
>>had missed his flights.

There was an article on the radio about this.

Lots of passengers missing flights and getting stranded with a lot of complaints about it.

One suggestion is that the ship should not have turned around as they knew it would make them late.

A second cruise liner was also held up as it joined the search with passengers similarly aggravated.

What a load of miserable sods! Someone's life is at stake for heavens sake. One does all they can to help in these circumstances!

Woman falls from cruise ship... - Zero

>> What a load of miserable sods! Someone's life is at stake for heavens sake. One
>> does all they can to help in these circumstances!

Not at all, and I say that having just come back from a cruise in the same area. The chances of "falling off" the back of a cruise ship are virtually nil. The chances of turning back and finding someone who fell in is nil.

She was either a: doing summink she shouldn't of been doin, or b: its a load of ole pony.

Based on that, if I'd missed my flight, as my dear ole mum would say, I'd want her "kicked all the way from ahsole to breakfast time"

Woman falls from cruise ship... - Driver
>> The chances of turning back and finding someone who fell in is nil.

She was one and here is another.

www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=12081951

and another -

eu.floridatoday.com/story/news/2018/03/07/passenger-falls-off-norwegian-cruise-ship-bahamas-returning-port-canaveral/402825002/

funnily enough these two seem to be the same ship and the same line as the subject of this thread.

Didn't Goldie Hawn survive going overboard once? I think she lost her memory though :-)
Last edited by: Driver on Mon 20 Aug 18 at 17:32

>>
>> Lots of passengers missing flights and getting stranded with a lot of complaints about it.
>>
>> One suggestion is that the ship should not have turned around as they knew it
>> would make them late.
>>
>> A second cruise liner was also held up as it joined the search with passengers
>> similarly aggravated.
>>
>> What a load of miserable sods! Someone's life is at stake for heavens sake. One
>> does all they can to help in these circumstances!

They were probably all cheapskates who ordered their flights separately from the cruise 'package'. They probably booked the flights on RyanAir in January at £9.99 thinking they were on a big money saver. Missing the flight and paying probably £200+ for a replacement flight will change the perception of a cheap holiday.

Z will comment.
 Woman falls from cruise ship... - sooty123
Very odd to me, I wonder if the rest of the facts will come out? Probably not.

Not been on a cruise ship before but been on plenty of ferries. Near impossible to fall off the front or back. Bit easier off the side I suppose.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Mon 20 Aug 18 at 16:37
 Woman falls from cruise ship... - Zero
I booked a fly cruise package from one operator. My assumption would be that if my flight misses the boat, or my boat misses the flight, they fix it.
Z - that was my take on it - hence my previous post! Cruises regularly reschedule, hence it makes sense to have the protection of a bundled package.
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Mon 20 Aug 18 at 17:12
 Woman falls from cruise ship... - Haywain
" it makes sense to have the protection of a bundled package.:

Similarly, if you are out with one of the cruise's official excursions - and it is delayed for whatever reason, then the ship should wait for you. If you've 'done your own thing', as my wife and I frequently have done, then you are on your own if your return is delayed ....... tough.
There's some pictures on the bbc of where she fell off. There's no seats and not really any space for one. I wonder if she was sat on the handrail?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45240390
Last edited by: sooty123 on Mon 20 Aug 18 at 17:11
 Woman falls from cruise ship... - rtj70
No seats and a handrail.... You wouldn't accidentally fall in from there. She was wearing a swimming costume.... Did she jump? It is odd.

I wonder who raised the alarm someone was even overboard?

We might find out more in time I suppose.
 Woman falls from cruise ship... - BiggerBadderDave
Drunken argument with her bloke, so it seems (The Sun).
I said to my wife last night I wonder if someone pushed her. Hence someone there to alert the captain/crew.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 20 Aug 18 at 18:11
For once I read an article on the Sun website.... so it seems she jumped after arguing. Ship did turn around to help look (but the alarm was raised a long time later). Ship 7 hours late to port.... Now that last bit is cutting it fine for a flight.... All sorts could happen between Dubrovnik and Venice (and onwards to the airport).... and indeed it did.
 Woman falls from cruise ship... - martin aston
Isnt it maritime law that the ship (and others in the vicinity) must search if someone goes overboard? Or is that a myth?
>> Isnt it maritime law that the ship (and others in the vicinity) must search if
>> someone goes overboard? Or is that a myth?
>>

I vaguely remember that from a sailing course i did a few years ago, might well be wrong though.
I do remember though the first person who sees someone go over is supposed to shout man over board and keep looking and pointing at them. The second person there lobs the line/ring/whatever over to them if practicable.
Don't think it's a law but is s tradition of the sea.
 Woman falls from cruise ship... - MD
Prevarication afoot.

Sounds like a disease :-)
It would have been very easy to fall off the boat I used long ago to make a similar journey. It was more like a very large motor cruiser, for about 150 passengers but with no cabins. We sailed from Venice down the beautiful kartst coast, overnighting at Pula, Dubrovnik and Kotor, via its lovely fjord, which is where I left the boat.

The lady would have missed much of this. As regards her swimwear, maybe it is de riguer evening dress on these ghastly cruise ships.
 Woman falls from cruise ship... - Mapmaker
>>Kotor, via its lovely fjord

Not actually a fjord (had to look it up as found it difficult to imagine that it really was... ) /pedant mode.
www.thesun.co.uk/news/7050800/british-woman-kay-longstaff-fall-cruise-ship-croatia/
Suggests she jumped.

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/08/20/cruise-ship-survivor-branded-stupid-woman-day-plucked-sea/
Approx 75 feet drop into the sea

The footage has been viewed and you can clearly see she was there on her own when she fell,” a source told the Sun.
“She was not pushed. The theory we are working on is that she most likely jumped.”

Daniel Punch, who works on the Norwegian Star in promotions, posted on Facebook according to reports: “She didn’t fall, she jumped. It was on my ship. I spoke [to her] throughout the whole week. She was arguing with her fella the whole time.”
Last edited by: henry k on Tue 21 Aug 18 at 15:54
 Woman falls from cruise ship... - Bromptonaut
Drink was always a likely factor........
 Woman falls from cruise ship... - Haywain
"Approx 75 feet drop into the sea"

I agree with the mother of the liner's boss - you'd have to be doing something pretty stupid to 'fall' into the sea. On the other hand, when I'm shuffling around the side of my mate's boat, falling off is a distinct possibility!
www.jeanneau.com/en/boats/9-merry-fisher/317-merry-fisher-755

>>Not actually a fjord (had to look it up as found it difficult to imagine that it really was... ) /pedant mode.

Perhaps correct technically but fjord is the way it is generally designated, including in today's Telegraph, and was in 1957, when I was there. I went while the going was good, as the article shows how the town itself is being ruined by cruise ship visits.
Latest Forum Posts