Non-motoring > Parking for Old Trafford Cricket Sat Evening Miscellaneous
Thread Author: rtj70 Replies: 21

Parking for Old Trafford Cricket Sat Evening - rtj70
I'm off to Old Trafford cricket ground tomorrow evening. I'm wondering what my best option is.

Initially I was thinking of driving to the Metrolink stop in East Didsbury and getting the tram. But I'm wondering if driving and parking nearby is a better option. Reasons are:

1. There are only 300 parking spaces including the disabled ones and (a) it's a Saturday so parking might be an issue later on, (b) a lot of others might be planning the same because there are two concerts on in Manchester with over 60,000 people and (c) might take a while to get a tram back with so many planning on using it.

I know there are restrictions on many streets nearby the Old Trafford stadiums on event days and I assume this will count as an event.

So how close can you park? Are there plenty of paid parking nearby for events? Tram is going to cost a fair few quid anyway.

Ta.
 Parking for Old Trafford Cricket Sat Evening - CGNorwich
>> I'm off to Old Trafford cricket ground tomorrow evening. I'm wondering what my best option
>
>> Tram is going to cost a fair few quid anyway.
>>

£4 return.
I know what it costs. I use it often to the city centre. I know it's not much which is why I used the words 'few' :-) Finding a parking space can be a problem.... intended using it yesterday but the car park was full just before lunchtime so we used the train instead from our local station (there was a wait for the train so tram seemed a better plan). Which is why I'm thinking 62,000 people travelling to Old Trafford and MEN Arena tomorrow night might have enough to have filled up the car park before I intend travelling tomorrow (Want to get in say around 6:30pm).

So what I meant was I'm going to be paying at least £8 and finding out there's an event parking type place recommended on here.. well I'd use that. Or I could park a mile or so away and walk (Trafford Bar or Firswood is a walk anyway) but are there lots of parking restrictions etc. Must be a nightmare on match days.

Tram is also possibly going to have lots waiting for it with some of the 12,000 Britney Spears followers already on. Our event is meant to finish at 10:30pm but probably will go on longer and then you need to get out and get to the tram so it's going to be fairly late.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 17 Aug 18 at 23:18
 Parking for Old Trafford Cricket Sat Evening - No FM2R
>> I know it's not much which is why I used the words 'few' :-)

Actually you said "a fair few quid". Not the same as "a few quid" is it, really. Quite the opposite in fact.
When I typed that there were going to be four of us going together. The other two are now going into Manchester first.
 Parking for Old Trafford Cricket Sat Evening - Duncan
>> ............ tram ................
>> Tram ................
>>........... tram

Do you still have trams oop Norf?

London got rid of most of its trams yonks ago.

Get up to date, Manchester!
Last edited by: Duncan on Sat 18 Aug 18 at 07:17
 Parking for Old Trafford Cricket Sat Evening - Old Navy
>> >> ............ tram ................
>> >> Tram ................
>> >>........... tram
>>
>> Do you still have trams oop Norf?
>>
>> London got rid of most of its trams yonks ago.
>>
>> Get up to date, Manchester!
>>

You need to get out more, don't you ever travel to mainland Europe or North of Watford? Trams are quite common and modern.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edinburgh_Trams
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 18 Aug 18 at 13:07
Missed the edit -

They use your favourite fuel, electricity.
The trams in Edinburgh took much longer than planned to complete and didn't they cost a lot more too?

Ones in Manchester have been around for ages and overtime they have extended the network quite a bit. But we've had them for over 26 years now.
Yes the initial tram project was a shambles, with huge cost overruns. Corruption or incompetence spring to mind. There are plans to extend it to the original plan and beyond. It was well subsidised by the Westminster government which the SNP decry at every opportunity.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 18 Aug 18 at 14:09
 Parking for Old Trafford Cricket Sat Evening - helicopter
Plenty of trams in South London, Croydon area mainly but they go as far as Wimbledon.

Big tragedy a couple of years ago with several dead when a tram overturned when travelling too fast on a bend.
>> Plenty of trams in South London, Croydon area mainly but they go as far as
>> Wimbledon.
>>
>> Big tragedy a couple of years ago with several dead when a tram overturned when
>> travelling too fast on a bend.
>>

As a youngster I lived alongside that tram track, it was a railway line then! I must admit I forgot that one when having a gentle prod at Duncan, I actually drove across one of its level crossings a few weeks ago, (South Wimbledon).
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 19 Aug 18 at 08:13
>> As a youngster I lived alongside that tram track, it was a railway line then!
>> I must admit I forgot that one when having a gentle prod at Duncan, I
>> actually drove across one of its level crossings a few weeks ago, (South Wimbledon).

I too, am familiar with that tram crossing, as it is en route to St. George's Hospital.

The point I was making with my throw away remark is that so many people seem to think that trams are a wonderful transport system. I don't agree. I think they are way too expensive and restricted.

Any alternative thoughts?
 Parking for Old Trafford Cricket Sat Evening - sooty123
> The point I was making with my throw away remark is that so many people
>> seem to think that trams are a wonderful transport system. I don't agree. I think
>> they are way too expensive and restricted.

I'm not sure they can replace buses they need a lot of infrastructure but I think they make sense for park and ride schemes. Getting plenty of people from point to point or in and out of a town.
Trams are indeed expensive but where there is a high density of passengers they provide a quick and reliable transport system when integrated with other systems as in Manchester People like trams and will use them. I doubt that anyone in the Manchester area would advocate scrapping the trams and replacing them with buses
>> I doubt that anyone in the Manchester area would
>> advocate scrapping the trams and replacing them with buses

No, of course not. Because the expense of the track, the station/stops, the trams themselves, that cost has already been incurred.

It costs a fortune to set up a tram network and another fortune to dismantle it.

Just compare the cost of the tram system with the cost of setting up an i.c. engined bus system.
Yes but cost isn’t everything is it? One installed most people prefer tram systems for reliability if nothing else. They have a capacity for shifting large numbers of people quickly and not prone to delays.

Buses may be cheaper but they are unreliable being easily stuck in traffic. They are also prone to being axed when seen as uneconomic.

The Manchester tram network is excellent and makes travelling around the area easy. It is integrated train and bus network as well as having large car parks as some stations. Trams aren’t the magic bullet for public transport but they certainly have their place.

Have you used the Manchester trams Duncan?

>> Yes but cost isn’t everything is it? One installed most people prefer tram systems for
>> reliability

Are they more reliable? If a tram has a problem, other trams can't get past.

>> Buses may be cheaper but they are unreliable being easily stuck in traffic. They are
>> also prone to being axed when seen as uneconomic.

That makes buses more flexible.

>> The Manchester tram network is excellent

Did I pay for it?

>> Have you used the Manchester trams Duncan?

Sadly, that is just one more activity, like incest, that I have not experienced.
> Have you used the Manchester trams Duncan?
>>
>> Sadly, that is just one more activity, like incest, that I have not experienced.
>>
>>

Not sure I'd equate those two things as two activities you've never done. Each to their own.
 Parking for Old Trafford Cricket Sat Evening - Zero
>> Sadly, that is just one more activity, like incest, that I have not experienced.
>>

you can chose your friends, you cant chose your family, you get stuck with them
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 19 Aug 18 at 15:37
 Parking for Old Trafford Cricket Sat Evening - tyrednemotional
>> Plenty of trams in South London, Croydon area mainly but they go as far as
>> Wimbledon.
>>
....long walk from there to/from Old Trafford, though......
Last time I went to OT for the cricket, they put a old of event only trams on. Got people in and out faster than normal, yes you have to wait on the return but that's same at any big event. It wasn't too bad, I'd use the tram if it were me.
Latest Forum Posts